Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1624

Thread: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Remember when 51% was a majority and votes actually happened, instead of these lame "intent to filibuster" votes? I mean, 57 of 100 support this. There's a clear majority. But apparently that's not good enough, ever since the anti-equal rights camp decided that every single bill is filibustered by default and these frail old men ensured that they didn't have to actually speak. The whole tactic is the mark of a coward.
    Frail old men rock.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Frail old men rock.
    Actually, the do the wobble.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Actually, the do the wobble.
    I rock and my wheelchair rolls. We never wobble.

  4. #14
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Obama needs to grow a pair and repeal DADT himself. The argument that a future president will simply reverse the decision is unlikely when you consider that a large majority of people support ending DADT, and no future president is likely to expend political capital by repealing it.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  5. #15
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Well, I disagree with this decision, but apparently what I think matters little - As if that's a surprise
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #16
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    A win for the good guys, really

    Does that mean LGBT people are the bad guys?
    It was an asinine comment on his part. And it is sad that anyone would look at it that way.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am just glad its over and morale and troop readiness will not be affected.........
    I wish you thought better of our troops and realized they're grown men who can handle whatever comes their way.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #18
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am just glad its over and morale and troop readiness will not be affected.........
    I dunno...It's possible that gay troops might have their morale affected by this decision...Isn't it?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Obama needs to grow a pair and repeal DADT himself. The argument that a future president will simply reverse the decision is unlikely when you consider that a large majority of people support ending DADT, and no future president is likely to expend political capital by repealing it.
    From the standpoint of most conservatives what you've posted is true. The issue isn't salient any longer for most conservatives. People can thank conservative LGBT people for socializing conservatives on this question.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Obama needs to grow a pair and repeal DADT himself. The argument that a future president will simply reverse the decision is unlikely when you consider that a large majority of people support ending DADT, and no future president is likely to expend political capital by repealing it.
    Not just obama, but congress. This wrong needs to be righted.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •