Page 145 of 163 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1624

Thread: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

  1. #1441
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    and they can, outside of the military.

    I'm sorry but I dont know how else to put this except to be blundt.

    the military operates under a different set of rules. The UCMJ allows you to be executed if you endanger the lives of fellow soldiers.
    at their discretion. These guidelines wouldnt be tolerted in civilian court either.

    If the military feels being openly gay interferes with the day to day operations in combat situations, then we are sorry.

    This conversation has been in many circles, and I can tell you if there was a draft, there are gays that would use dodt to get out of serving.
    So maybe you should refocus your efforts if your point is to distinguish right from wrong.

    The militarys rules are very obvious and blundt up front.
    Dont join
    "The military" does not feel that gays interfere with day to day operations. The conclusion of the study done by the military(http://www.defense.gov/home/features...e-hires%29.pdf) is that it will not hurt day to day operations. The RAND study update requested by the military and done at the same time as the militaries concluded the same thing(http://health.rand.org/pubs/monograp...MG1056.sum.pdf).
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #1442
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    "The military" does not feel that gays interfere with day to day operations. The conclusion of the study done by the military(http://www.defense.gov/home/features...e-hires%29.pdf) is that it will not hurt day to day operations. The RAND study update requested by the military and done at the same time as the militaries concluded the same thing(http://health.rand.org/pubs/monograp...MG1056.sum.pdf).
    Trust me, nothing has changed since Dont ask dont tell was put into place except pressure from a liberal administration

    you're playing PC politics with an established institution

    a lot like gay marriage being accepted by a small minority,
    but I suppose on that front no one is genuinly impacted

  3. #1443
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    The title of this thread no longer applies. Shouldn't we call it a day?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #1444
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    A win for the good guys......Looks like a repeal of DADT is dead..........

    Politics, Political News - POLITICO.com

    'DON'T ASK' STAYS: The Senate has failed to vote in favor of repealing "don't ask, don't tell." Democrats got 57 votes in favor of repealing it, three short of the 60 required.
    60 required to beak a filibuster. Duh.

    The majority of the country and the senate wants it repealed. Homophobes need to drop their fear of gays or go live in a cave until they die. (that way they have less chance of passing their stupidity on to the next generation)

  5. #1445
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    The majority of the country and the senate wants it repealed.

    If that is the case then why is it voted down nearly every time it is put to a ballot?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #1446
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post
    Very comforting for the person who has to deploy in their place???

    You assume that a man having sex with a woman means that he can’t be a homosexual, but to me a man with HIV having unprotected sex with 11 woman means he does not like women.

    Normal men don’t check each other out in the shower...

    Big ears? Long nose?? What you are saying here is that it would be best – in light of so many people not liking homosexuals and wishing them dead – to retain DADT..

    First of all if one man rapes another man the rapist is a homosexual. Second, why would a person who doesn’t like being raped put him military service above justice for himself and others who may suffer the same treatment? Has it been your experience that stab victims are questioned about their sexual preference? I suppose that motive may be an issue but also doubt that many of these cases would get out of the administrative process and go to trial.
    Not my problem. I don't make the rules of the military. But, since they aren't being put out under DADT, it is quite possible that they got HIV from a woman if they are a man, and most likely that they got HIV from a man if they are a woman. In fact, before we were scheduled to pull into to Thailand (it got canceled), we were given a brief about how most of the women there had AIDS (don't know if it is true, but there are a lot with AIDS). The men were warned not to purchase services from a hooker while there because of this.

    Also, the airman was married. A man does not have to be gay to have AIDS. And a man doesn't have to be gay to hate women either.

    Some straight men do check each other out in the shower, whether you do or not. They especially do when it is pointed out to them that one of them is less or more endowed than usual. As I said, I heard from many straight guys about how well endowed one of the other guys in our department was. Some of them were in a separate berthing than the talked about guy, so they wouldn't even have normally shared a shower with him.

    There are plenty of people who are uncomfortable with traits of others, such as race, weight, religion, who they date (not just homosexuals/bisexuals), how they dress, activities a person participates in (even within military regulations), and even their intelligence level. We should not discriminate against anyone (i.e. having extra, more restrictive regulations for a certain group) just because some people may be uncomfortable around them.

    Any intolerance or discrimination should be dealt with swiftly, effectively, and fairly by a person chain of command, whether it is verbal or in actions or whether it is done passively or violently.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #1447
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    A very liberal twist.

    pretend your listening, hows that?

    Dont ask dont tell means just that. In the sense that you know the line not to cross.

    Again, I am a devout Christain, and mentioning I am going to Sunday prayer over at the Chaplains tent, or saying "thank the good lord" before I eat, or mentioning my church back home is one thing.

    Using that I am a devout Christain to gain attention, or to make some kind of unecessary point is another.

    I've served with known atheists, known because they once mentioned it in conversation. And thats fine, it's accepted, still a good soldier, trusted, respected.

    But if he talks about it in a look at me look at me kind of way,
    or claims he wants someone punished because they dont agree with his beliefs then he's got trouble, trouble he asked for.

    I'm speaking reality, I notice most liberals, on this subject are speaking of some sort of perfect world that just doesnt exist, on the battlefield, they're kids, for the most part. And teaching them to be PC is not the militarys job. We have enough troubles without worrying if someones feelings are being hurt.

    Can you grasp that?
    The problem that you don't seem to be grasping here is that you are completely free to say quite openly, as often as you wish, and anywhere you want that you are Christian. It may annoy some people and even make them very uncomfortable, but you can still do it in the military without fearing discharge whatsoever (of course you may face punishment if you are being extremely inappropriate with your pronouncements).

    And heterosexuals can do many things that homosexuals are not allowed to do just because they are homosexuals. It is not about flaunting their sexuality, it is about being able to openly do the same exact things that heterosexuals are allowed to do in the military without facing discharge or punishment.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #1448
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    and they can, outside of the military.

    I'm sorry but I dont know how else to put this except to be blundt.

    the military operates under a different set of rules. The UCMJ allows you to be executed if you endanger the lives of fellow soldiers.
    at their discretion. These guidelines wouldnt be tolerted in civilian court either.

    If the military feels being openly gay interferes with the day to day operations in combat situations, then we are sorry.

    This conversation has been in many circles, and I can tell you if there was a draft, there are gays that would use dodt to get out of serving.
    So maybe you should refocus your efforts if your point is to distinguish right from wrong.

    The militarys rules are very obvious and blundt up front.
    Dont join
    Which is why we are trying to get those rules changed. What part of Congress working to get bills actually passed that would repeal DADT do you not get? That is the point. Getting rid of military rules that are discriminatory with no evidence to prove that the reasons for those rules being in place are sound, but rather evidence showing that it most likely will not have a detrimental effect at all on the military to allow gays to serve openly.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #1449
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If that is the case then why is it voted down nearly every time it is put to a ballot?


    j-mac
    Because our Congressmen like to play politics rather than actually doing their job and getting things done.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1450
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    What's that Yogi used to say...'It ain't over 'til it's over'.


    December 16, 2010 10:25 AM
    Massachusetts Republican Scott Brown today voiced his support for a stand-alone repeal of the military’s Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy, bringing the bill one vote over the 60-vote threshold that it will need to reach if and when the Senate votes on the measure in the coming weeks.

    Big Boost for Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal: Brown Backs Senate Bill - The Note
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •