Page 139 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1624

Thread: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

  1. #1381
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Like roguenuke said, that is soldiers who haven't served with someone they knew was gay, and they are afraid of the unknown. Soldiers who have served with LGBT soldiers are in favor for repeal
    You can prove that? With something other than anecdotal evidence?

    it is the conclusion of the study that repealing DADT won't cause military readiness to suffer.
    You conviently left part of the findings of that same study. Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #1382
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    OMG!!! You people really are unaware of what the regulations really say!

    If there's no ban on gays, why do the regulations explicitly ban homosexual conduct?

    AR 600-20 states,



    Homosexual activity is forbidden under DOD Directive 1332.14
    Read my post again. Discharges under DADT are not for being gay(remember, the command cannot "ask"), but for violating DADT(that is, for telling).
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #1383
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The difference is that if I'm wrong, people will have a harder time adjusting to gays serving openly than I thought. This does not mean that people will die because of gays serving openly. You have no way to correlate any death of someone to a repeal of DADT. It doesn't work that way. You have to show how this would work and why the same events (i.e. the examples that you tried to give earlier in the thread) wouldn't happen with DADT in place.

    If you're wrong, then we are still promoting intolerance and bigotry in the military and allowing our servicemembers to discriminate against others based on their sexuality because they are not comfortable with living with openly gay servicemembers.
    So, I ask again, wny not leave a few safegaurds in place, for the protection of our soldiers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #1384
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,953

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, let's. All I have to say to that, is: It is for everyone who violates the regulations. the regulations are in place for a reason and you do not get to pick and chose which ones to follow and which ones to ignore.

    The logic being, if I can't expect you to be disciplined enough to do something simple, like not wear your uniform to a political rally, how am I supposed to expect you to be disciplined enough to do something hard, like lay your life on the line for your comrades?
    The reasons for regulations being in place is what needs to be looked into. If those reasons are not consistent with evidence and/or rules against discrimination, then they should be changed. You cannot simply say that every regulation is good just because it is a regulation.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #1385
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Read my post again. Discharges under DADT are not for being gay(remember, the command cannot "ask"), but for violating DADT(that is, for telling).
    Read the regulations and you'll find out that you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #1386
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,953

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, I ask again, wny not leave a few safegaurds in place, for the protection of our soldiers?
    There is no need for safeguards to be in place that aren't there already. There are already enough rules in place to affectively eliminate most incidents. And, as Redress has stated many times, after that it is up to the chain of command to quickly, effectively, and fairly deal with any problems than may arise. No need for extra, unnecessary regulations.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #1387
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Read the regulations and you'll find out that you're wrong.
    I am not wrong. The military does not look into people's sexuality(In theory anyway, DADT is enforced unevenly...this is the "don't ask" part), they are discharged for doing something that is considered a "tell".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #1388
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So the Pentagon lies!!
    And history does too!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #1389
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The reasons for regulations being in place is what needs to be looked into. If those reasons are not consistent with evidence and/or rules against discrimination, then they should be changed. You cannot simply say that every regulation is good just because it is a regulation.
    I'm not saying that regulations are necessarily good, or bad; only that they are regulations and as long as they are such, they are to be adhered to. It's not the place of a line soldier to ignore regulations that he doesn't agree with. One day, a soldier may think that the regulation forbidding the use of alcohol while on duty is unfair and stupid and decide to have a few beers while he's out in the field and it just so happens that he's the driver of a 65 ton pound main battle tank.

    It's like helmet laws in the civilian world. You may not like it, but it's the law and there's a penalty for breaking the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #1390
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And history does too!
    Revised history does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •