Page 138 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1624

Thread: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

  1. #1371
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I just did.
    I think he meant this one:

    Hey apdst! You know what would be nice? If you answer my question. If there was a rule that there couldn't be Jews in the military, would you support because "rules are rules, and you can't pick and chose" and if someone was protesting in uniform, would you say they should be kicked out? Or is that only for gays?
    You can just agree with me though, it's cool. Hey though, while you're answering questions, do mine too:

    Actually, I'm curious what apdst would think an appropriate punishment would be for violating DADT under his compromise plan.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #1372
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    03-29-11 @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    178

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, you have no proof that it won't. The difference being, that if I'm wrong, nothing happens. If you're wrong, people die.
    Except that patriotic people who want to serve in the military will be kicked out for being biologically different. And I didn't catch your answer. What post was it in?
    "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." -John Adams

  3. #1373
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    03-29-11 @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    178

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    I think he meant this one:



    You can just agree with me though, it's cool. Hey though, while you're answering questions, do mine too:
    I did mean that one.
    "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." -John Adams

  4. #1374
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,512

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
    Hey apdst! You know what would be nice? If you answer my question. If there was a rule that there couldn't be Jews in the military, would you support because "rules are rules, and you can't pick and chose" and if someone was protesting in uniform, would you say they should be kicked out? Or is that only for gays?

    It is for everyone who violates the regulations. the regulations are in place for a reason and you do not get to pick and chose which ones to follow and which ones to ignore.

    The logic being, if I can't expect you to be disciplined enough to do something simple, like not wear your uniform to a political rally, how am I supposed to expect you to be disciplined enough to do something hard, like lay your life on the line for your comrades?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #1375
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,512

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
    Except that patriotic people who want to serve in the military will be kicked out for being biologically different. And I didn't catch your answer. What post was it in?
    You need to learn how to use the quote feature, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #1376
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,512

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So the Pentagon lies!!
    I dunno, you tell me. The Pentagon said that 67% of Marines in combat arms units and 58% of soldiers in combat arms units, expect that allowing gays to serve opnely will have a negative effect on the combat readiness of their units. Are they lieing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #1377
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    03-29-11 @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    178

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It is for everyone who violates the regulations. the regulations are in place for a reason and you do not get to pick and chose which ones to follow and which ones to ignore.

    The logic being, if I can't expect you to be disciplined enough to do something simple, like not wear your uniform to a political rally, how am I supposed to expect you to be disciplined enough to do something hard, like lay your life on the line for your comrades?
    Lets change the hypothetical. Lets say being Jewish was not allowed in the military, with a policy like DADT. A jew wrote an email to his Rabbi, his superiors hacked said email, and kicked him out. Is that ok, or is it only for gays?
    "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." -John Adams

  8. #1378
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I dunno, you tell me. The Pentagon said that 67% of Marines in combat arms units and 58% of soldiers in combat arms units, expect that allowing gays to serve opnely will have a negative effect on the combat readiness of their units. Are they lieing?
    Like roguenuke said, that is soldiers who haven't served with someone they knew was gay, and they are afraid of the unknown. Soldiers who have served with LGBT soldiers are in favor for repeal, and it is the conclusion of the study that repealing DADT won't cause military readiness to suffer.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #1379
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,512

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
    Lets change the hypothetical. Lets say being Jewish was not allowed in the military, with a policy like DADT. A jew wrote an email to his Rabbi, his superiors hacked said email, and kicked him out. Is that ok, or is it only for gays?
    Ok, let's. All I have to say to that, is: It is for everyone who violates the regulations. the regulations are in place for a reason and you do not get to pick and chose which ones to follow and which ones to ignore.

    The logic being, if I can't expect you to be disciplined enough to do something simple, like not wear your uniform to a political rally, how am I supposed to expect you to be disciplined enough to do something hard, like lay your life on the line for your comrades?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #1380
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,971

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, you have no proof that it won't. The difference being, that if I'm wrong, nothing happens. If you're wrong, people die.
    The difference is that if I'm wrong, people will have a harder time adjusting to gays serving openly than I thought. This does not mean that people will die because of gays serving openly. You have no way to correlate any death of someone to a repeal of DADT. It doesn't work that way. You have to show how this would work and why the same events (i.e. the examples that you tried to give earlier in the thread) wouldn't happen with DADT in place.

    If you're wrong, then we are still promoting intolerance and bigotry in the military and allowing our servicemembers to discriminate against others based on their sexuality because they are not comfortable with living with openly gay servicemembers.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •