Page 130 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1624

Thread: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

  1. #1291
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    My sincere hope is that if it is repealed that it works. If it doesn't, which liberals never admit can happen, we are in one helluva mess. In a large military like ours with 66000 gay or lesbians I fear that it puts into jeopardy their safety and security plus opens the military up to some massive legal battles. I asked on this thread the worse thing that can happen and no one has responded. how about you?
    I don't know. Nuclear holocaust? Civil war? That's a ridiculous questions. Again, the DoD has established no long term harm will come to our military. If you can't trust them, I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise.

    It's not just liberals either. 60%+ of the military thinks it will work. I promise there's not that many liberals in the military.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #1292
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Where did I say it was? I've never once suggested that gays and straights serve in segregated units.
    Perhaps I'm being unclear. You said that the military repealing DADT would be an example of it picking sides. Why does that same rationale not apply to the desegregation of blacks?
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  3. #1293
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I am waiting for you to think for a change and tell me what is the worst thing that you believe could happen with the repeal of DADT?
    The worst? There will be some disciple problems at first, that is pretty much a sure thing. I don't think they will be bad and there is no evidence that it will be. There will be some gays enlisting who really shouldn't, and those will make trouble, but this is true of straits too to an extent(note to our gay friends: if you are the type to attend gay pride parades in assless chaps...don't enlist).

    The worst would be poor leadership not cracking down consistently on any of the problems that result from repeal. Weak, inconsistent leadership always creates problems, and DADT has a history of uneven enforcement.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #1294
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,324

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Perhaps I'm being unclear. You said that the military repealing DADT would be an example of it picking sides. Why does that same rationale not apply to the desegregation of blacks?
    I said that both would be, "picking sides", with a political issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #1295
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, but soldiers have certain rights and that, they can't be denied. Those rights are in writing and already established.
    I have yet to see any right in writing that says that I cannot be made to shower with people that may be attracted to me or even who I may be attracted to anywhere in any of the contracts that I have signed nor have I seen this in any of the training that I have had. The military does not automatically assume that everyone is straight.

    And, if the military wanted to change its rules on women and men berthing/showering together it could do so without violating anyone's rights. They most likely won't do this, because it is highly likely to cause major issues, because of the high probability of mutual attraction between groups of men and women who are mostly heterosexual.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #1296
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,324

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I have yet to see any right in writing that says that I cannot be made to shower with people that may be attracted to me or even who I may be attracted to anywhere in any of the contracts that I have signed nor have I seen this in any of the training that I have had. The military does not automatically assume that everyone is straight.


    Look at AR 600-20 and you'll find it.

    It's a fact, that females can't be forced to share billets with male soldiers. Anyone that has been in any branch of the military, will confirm that for you. That same policy will be applicable to gay and straight soldiers, as well.

    And, if the military wanted to change its rules on women and men berthing/showering together it could do so without violating anyone's rights. They most likely won't do this, because it is highly likely to cause major issues, because of the high probability of mutual attraction between groups of men and women who are mostly heterosexual.
    Ain't gonna happen. I thought you said you deal with the real world. Wasn't that you? Well, in the real world, the military isn't going to be able to force straight soldiers to share billets and vice-versa. Ask you brother and your husband. They'll tell you the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #1297
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I asked you what happens if you are wrong on this issue and I get silence, then more of the same.
    Then you and Fred Phelps will feel vindicated.

    The working models work. Gays already serve. How knowing about a few of them liking men is going to cost lives is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #1298
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Look at AR 600-20 and you'll find it.
    Apparently you can't find it. I asked you to show me where because I couldn't find it and you ignored it.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #1299
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Look at AR 600-20 and you'll find it.

    It's a fact, that females can't be forced to share billets with male soldiers. Anyone that has been in any branch of the military, will confirm that for you. That same policy will be applicable to gay and straight soldiers, as well.
    Here is AR 600-20: http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r600_20.pdf

    Doing searches on billet, share, shower, none of them show where it says what you claim. Can you find it and quote it for me?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #1300
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,522

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    The House just passed a stand alone bill to end "don't ask, don't tell" this afternoon. I saw it on C-Span.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •