Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

  1. #21
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Exactly what crime would I have committed? I wouldn't have provided anyone with any government information. All I would have done is provide the key necessary to decript the documents. There is certainly no law against hacking documents on my own computer. And there is certainly no law that would keep me from selling the key on the internet. Not only could the FBI not charge me with anything, they couldn't do anything to stop me.
    Uh, let's see...you crack the code to untold thousands of pages of classified material, then try to sell it. I believe they call that, "espionage".

    Not only could the FBI not charge me with anything, they couldn't do anything to stop me.

    Yeah, I bet that's what the Rosenbergs thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #22
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Uh, let's see...you crack the code to untold thousands of pages of classified material, then try to sell it. I believe they call that, "espionage".
    That is quite a stretch. I don't think you can spy on your own computer. Heck, I would only sell the key once. If America wanted it really bad, I could cut them a speical deal...say maybe $50 million for the key.

  3. #23
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    That is quite a stretch. I don't think you can spy on your own computer. Heck, I would only sell the key once. If America wanted it really bad, I could cut them a speical deal...say maybe $50 million for the key.
    And, I believe they call that, "extortion".

    Bottom line is, if you accessed classified material, without the proper authorization, you're breaking the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #24
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, I believe they call that, "extortion".

    Bottom line is, if you accessed classified material, without the proper authorization, you're breaking the law.
    I know of no such law that says that I'm not allowed to break the encryption on a document that I downloaded off the internet onto my computer and then sell the key on the internet. How is any of that "accessing classified material"? It's freely disseminated material.

  5. #25
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I know of no such law that says that I'm not allowed to break the encryption on a document that I downloaded off the internet onto my computer and then sell the key on the internet. How is any of that "accessing classified material"? It's freely disseminated material.
    And, if it wasn't classified material, protected by the law of the land, you would be correct. What's more, you would know that it's illegally obtained classified material. It's just like buying a stolen lawnmower, that you know is stolen. Knowingly possessing stolen property is a crime in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #26
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, if it wasn't classified material, protected by the law of the land, you would be correct. What's more, you would know that it's illegally obtained classified material. It's just like buying a stolen lawnmower, that you know is stolen. Knowingly possessing stolen property is a crime in this country.
    Ah, so if I download the wikileaks file which contains the encrypted classified documents, then you believe that I am breaking the law?

  7. #27
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Ah, so if I download the wikileaks file which contains the encrypted classified documents, then you believe that I am breaking the law?
    Even if you copy and paste some of the leaked cables you're stealing it (by some of the logic on here).

    We should quickly arrest all the news agencies that have published anything from wikileaks.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Even if you copy and paste some of the leaked cables you're stealing it (by some of the logic on here).

    We should quickly arrest all the news agencies that have published anything from wikileaks.
    CT is talking about releasing info that hasn't been previously released. If he cracks the encryption code and releases unreleased info, then yes, he's breaking the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Ah, so if I download the wikileaks file which contains the encrypted classified documents, then you believe that I am breaking the law?
    I know you're breaking the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #30
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    CT is talking about releasing info that hasn't been previously released. If he cracks the encryption code and releases unreleased info, then yes, he's breaking the law.
    But aren't people going after Assange for copying classified info, so isn't it the same thing?
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •