Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

  1. #11
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    What exactly could the US charge him with? What law has he broken and is he under our jurisdiction?
    from what I've read they're gonna try and charge him under the Espionage act (which'll only work if they can prove he sought out the info) or possibly for recieveing stolen government propert (which'll set a dangerous precedent for future journalism).
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    from what I've read they're gonna try and charge him under the Espionage act (which'll only work if they can prove he sought out the info) or possibly for recieveing stolen government propert (which'll set a dangerous precedent for future journalism).
    Thanks. But I don't get it. He isn't a US citizen and resides in another country. I don't think it is against the laws of that country (UK) to receive US classified info, nor publish it.

  3. #13
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    He's going to lose his freedom anyway. I mean, Sweden is basically trying to put him in jail for not wearing a condom. The woman making the allegation has proven ties to the CIA. He will be in U.S. hands before long.
    Proven by whom?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #14
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    What exactly could the US charge him with? What law has he broken and is he under our jurisdiction?
    Ever hear of Manuel Antonio Noriega?

    .

  5. #15
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Proven by whom?
    The internet.

    *crosses arms*
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #16
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The internet.

    *crosses arms*
    Come on, you know the internet is really really great for porn, and that's all.

    [tries to get the Avenue Q song that made him make this comment out of his head]
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  7. #17
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Geez. Now I wish I had mad, S-class hacking skills so that I could break his 256 bit encryption and see how much the key would go for on E-bay.

    And just in case anyone is pissed about it, that is not treason, that is the free market.

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Thanks. But I don't get it. He isn't a US citizen and resides in another country. I don't think it is against the laws of that country (UK) to receive US classified info, nor publish it.
    Maybe, maybe not. But, if the UK extradites him to the U.S., basically saying, "here ya go", then we can charge Assange with anything we won't and give him whatever sentence we want.

    The information that he leaked--illegally--not only endangered embarressed Americans, but did the same to other western countries.

    They're probably looking at what he did to the U.S. and know that he could do the same thing to them, so if he's disposed of by us, they won't have to worry about Wikileaks and won't have to get their hands dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Geez. Now I wish I had mad, S-class hacking skills so that I could break his 256 bit encryption and see how much the key would go for on E-bay.

    And just in case anyone is pissed about it, that is not treason, that is the free market.
    You would probably have to use the money you made on e-bay to try and pay your bail, after the FBI picked you up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Assange's 'poison pill' file impossible to stop, expert says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You would probably have to use the money you made on e-bay to try and pay your bail, after the FBI picked you up.
    Exactly what crime would I have committed? I wouldn't have provided anyone with any government information. All I would have done is provide the key necessary to decript the documents. There is certainly no law against hacking documents on my own computer. And there is certainly no law that would keep me from selling the key on the internet. Not only could the FBI not charge me with anything, they couldn't do anything to stop me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •