Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 271 to 279 of 279

Thread: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

  1. #271
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    obama, top recipient of aig contributions: Obama Top Recipient of AIG’s Hefty Campaign Contributions - The Center for Public Integrity

    geithner and dodd grandfathered those obscene aig bonuses: Treasury officials explicitly allowed AIG bonuses - Los Angeles Times

    geithner's fed instructed aig to keep ugly secrets from the sec: Geithner's New York Fed Pushed AIG To Keep Sweetheart Deals Secret (READ THE AIG EMAILS)

    deal with it

  2. #272
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    obama, top recipient of aig contributions: Obama Top Recipient of AIG’s Hefty Campaign Contributions - The Center for Public Integrity

    geithner and dodd grandfathered those obscene aig bonuses: Treasury officials explicitly allowed AIG bonuses - Los Angeles Times

    geithner's fed instructed aig to keep ugly secrets from the sec: Geithner's New York Fed Pushed AIG To Keep Sweetheart Deals Secret (READ THE AIG EMAILS)

    deal with it
    But that doesn't compute with what the Obama supporters believe. You have no business confusing them with actual facts, LOL

  3. #273
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    how is the market going up benefiting him? same argument i've had with conservative, just because the stock market is up, doesnt mean any jobs are being created....how do you define a recession ending? personally, i'd say it is when businesses are adding people to payroll, and the unemployment rate coming down, and people spending more, not just a set of numbers going up, and stockholders getting paid dividends.
    How is that relevant? You seem to think that the only reason why rich should not be soaked is to create jobs

    there are lots of reasons

    and I find a progressive income tax to be an abomination



  4. #274
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,149

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Actually, things were much better before those tax cuts.

    And I suppose you liked those 18 percent interest rates on home loans in the early 80s, too?

    Optimism spurned the 80s resurgence, not high taxes. Getting rid of Carter with a small-government platform gave business and investors reason to act; hence, the turnaround. Getting rid of trumped-up gasoline rationing helped. Showing the world we meant business (such as Iran) helped. Speaking openly of American exceptionalism helped.

    As soon as we started putting the 60s liberals at bay, things started turning around.
    A very nice story.... perhaps you could sell it to a network. If you were really paying attention, however, you would realize that the economic growth of the 25 years or so that began in the early 80's was fueled by the advent of the personal computer, cheap processing power, cheap data storage, networking and the Internet, which collectively revolutionized business in as dramatic a way as the steam power fueled the industrial revolution. The software industry, as we know it today, was essentially created in the late '70s and early '80s..... this romantic notion that tax and politics had much to do with it is fantasy, and frankly seems contrary to the conservative/liberitian notion that government can do anything positive in an economy (or even matters).....
    Last edited by upsideguy; 12-10-10 at 02:51 AM.

  5. #275
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    A very nice story.... perhaps you could sell it to a network. If you were really paying attention, however, you would realize that the economic growth of the 25 years or so that began in the early 80's was fueled by the advent of the personal computer, cheap processing power, cheap data storage, networking and the Internet, which collectively revolutionized business in as dramatic a way as the steam power fueled the industrial revolution. The software industry, as we know it today, was essentially created in the late '70s and early '80s..... this romantic notion that tax and politics had much to do with it is fantasy, and frankly seems contrary to the conservative/liberitian notion that government can do anything positive in an economy (or even matters).....
    Did anyone teach you what the word incentive means? Also what hand did the govt. have in creating those wonderful items you mentioned? Why did you go into business for yourself? Think about it.

  6. #276
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,081

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    obama, top recipient of aig contributions: Obama Top Recipient of AIG’s Hefty Campaign Contributions - The Center for Public Integrity

    geithner and dodd grandfathered those obscene aig bonuses: Treasury officials explicitly allowed AIG bonuses - Los Angeles Times

    geithner's fed instructed aig to keep ugly secrets from the sec: Geithner's New York Fed Pushed AIG To Keep Sweetheart Deals Secret (READ THE AIG EMAILS)

    deal with it
    Prof, watch this video if you haven't already. It's priceless.

    RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama Ditches Tax Cut Presser After Bill Clinton Takes Control

  7. #277
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    now you know....Conservative and his empty sock puppets have a limited view of economics. Blinders, rose tinted glasses, and selective hearing are all "assets" to the far right...
    Wow, I hardly think that's fair Bill. I don't believe anyone in here has touted that they are an "expert" on anything, but rather that they provide an argument that based on their opinion. Isn't that what this site is for? Are you an expert Bill? What are your bona fides?

    "Rose tinted Glasses" Ha! thats a good one. Nothing rosy about the time in which we live thanks in large measure thanks to Obama.

    Quote Originally Posted by randel
    if the edonomy was balls to the wall, and we were creating decent jobs at a record pace, i could see scaling back on the unemployment.....
    So give me a number...5 years? 10 years? Hell let's just go ahead and start paying those whom are without a suitable job in their eyes Social Security for the rest of their lives....I am sure the rich can afford to pick up the tab, isn't that so?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #278
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Prof, watch this video if you haven't already. It's priceless.

    RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama Ditches Tax Cut Presser After Bill Clinton Takes Control
    absolutely, no one's ever seen anything like it

    the journo listers' take:

    Nobody owns the presidential podium like Bill Clinton, even in the Obama White House.

    The former president, who stopped by the White House on Friday to meet with the current president and endorse his tax cuts deal with Republicans, held court for a half hour in the briefing room after President Barack Obama left to attend a holiday party in the residence.

    Obama had barely left the room when Clinton rested his elbows on the podium and settled in. And once he was there he couldn’t get enough.

    He fielded nearly a dozen questions, twice as many as Obama took during his briefing room press conference on Tuesday. He knew the reporters by name – calling out Ann Compton of ABC and George Condon of the National Journal with ease. Obama’s press secretary, Robert Gibbs, repeatedly tried in vain to rein him in. (“Gibbs will call ‘last question,’” Obama informed reporters as he left for the party.)

    “Oh, I had quite a good time governing,” Clinton [observed]. “I am happy to be here."

    Obama seemed to convey just the opposite feeling. He had met privately with Clinton in the Oval Office for over an hour before the two decided at the last minute to make an appearance in front of the cameras, but he stayed in the briefing room only about 90 seconds.

    “I thought, given the fact that he presided over as good an economy as we've seen in our lifetimes, that it might useful for him to share some of his thoughts,” Obama said before turning the podium over to Clinton. “I'm going to let him speak very briefly, and then I've actually got to go over and do some – just one more Christmas party. So he may decide he wants to take some questions, but I wanted to make sure that you guys heard from him directly.”

    “I've been keeping the first lady waiting for about half an hour, so I'm going to take off.”

    “Well, I don't want to make her mad,” Clinton joked. “Please go.”

    For a press corps obsessed this week with comparing Clinton and Obama, the contrast was right in front of them.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz17r8fnTs7

    whoever it is anyone is arguing with on this (or any recent) thread is today so far outta the mainstream they're less than a fringe

    cuz if you're not aboard with clinton/obama/mcconnell/boehner, you're a splinter

    and you don't even know it---LOL!
    Last edited by The Prof; 12-11-10 at 10:30 AM.

  9. #279
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Obama Announces 'Framework' for Deal With Congress to Extend Bush-Era Tax Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wow, I hardly think that's fair Bill. I don't believe anyone in here has touted that they are an "expert" on anything, but rather that they provide an argument that based on their opinion. Isn't that what this site is for? Are you an expert Bill? What are your bona fides?

    "Rose tinted Glasses" Ha! thats a good one. Nothing rosy about the time in which we live thanks in large measure thanks to Obama.


    j-mac
    Thanks to Obama? Is that your expert opinion?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •