Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 477

Thread: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

  1. #381
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is no quandary if you think it out. Accepting and publishing something is not investigating. Investigating something, checking with multiple sources, getting confirmation, and so on, that is investigative journalism.
    So, a newspaper has to engage in investigation in order to be protected under the first amendment? Or, do you just need to publish news?

    Do you think that newspapers in 1778 engaged in investigative journalism of the sort that you describe?
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 12-08-10 at 04:48 PM.

  2. #382
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    well, I guess, they are American, 1st amendment, (at least what I read about em), assuage, foreign national, 1st amendment does not apply.
    Actually it does apply. Reason being is that the Bill of Rights was intended as a restriction on the government and not on civilians. As recent history has shown our consititutional amendments are applied to those that are not US citizens also. abu garib, illegal aliens are the most obvious ones.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #383
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    So, a newspaper has to engage in investigation in order to be protected under the first amendment? Or, do you just need to publish news?

    Do you think that newspapers in 1778 engaged in investigative journalism of the sort that you describe?
    Do you think building these straw men aids your argument? Or do you just find it fun?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #384
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is no quandary if you think it out. Accepting and publishing something is not investigating. Investigating something, checking with multiple sources, getting confirmation, and so on, that is investigative journalism.
    From wikileaks about page...

    When information comes in, our journalists analyse the material, verify it and write a news piece about it describing its significance to society. We then publish both the news story and the original material in order to enable readers to analyse the story in the context of the original source material themselves.
    Same about page, different section...

    We assess all news stories and test their veracity. We send a submitted document through a very detailed examination a procedure. Is it real? What elements prove it is real? Who would have the motive to fake such a document and why? We use traditional investigative journalism techniques as well as more modern rtechnology-based methods. Typically we will do a forensic analysis of the document, determine the cost of forgery, means, motive, opportunity, the claims of the apparent authoring organisation, and answer a set of other detailed questions about the document. We may also seek external verification of the document For example, for our release of the Collateral Murder video, we sent a team of journalists to Iraq to interview the victims and observers of the helicopter attack. The team obtained copies of hospital records, death certificates, eye witness statements and other corroborating evidence supporting the truth of the story. Our verification process does not mean we will never make a mistake, but so far our method has meant that WikiLeaks has correctly identified the veracity of every document it has published.
    www.wikileaks.ch/about.html
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #385
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    From wikileaks about page...



    Same about page, different section...



    www.wikileaks.ch/about.html
    There is no evidence they actually do any of those things they claim.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #386
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is no evidence they actually do any of those things they claim.
    There's no evidence that they don't either.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #387
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Do you think building these straw men aids your argument? Or do you just find it fun?
    I find it curious that you want to narrow the definition of "press" to something that would never have applied at the time when the first amendment was actually written by the founding fathers.

    Why is that, Redress?

  8. #388
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I heard he was a gay activist who did it because he was pissed about DADT.
    Actually, from what I understand part of what motivated him was an incident where he alerted his superiors to the fact that individuals Iraqi police had the U.S. military detain as "insurgents" distributing "insurgent literature" were simply disseminating an article criticizing corruption in Maliki's administration, but was told to shut up and that they should be helping the Iraqis get more detainees.

    Well when those of us who served want the opinion of someone who hasn't on who deserves recognition, you'll be the first to know.
    Sorry, I just happen to think someone who exposures war crimes, corruption, and abuses of power is more deserving of recognition than those who simply kill the people their government says are bad.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  9. #389
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Some clarification is needed.

    1. He turned himself in. He was not "arrested" in the classic form of the term with police hunting him down and throwing him in cuffs.

    2. The case for sending him to Sweden is very weak. One of the women in question is a known feminist who believes men dominate women and need to be punished.

    3. And the rule of law has to be followed. This has nothing (in theory) to do with the Wikileaks situation and even in Sweden the case against him is very weak to say the least. Many are saying it is an overzealous prosecutor that is going after him.

    Also dont count on the US getting him at least legally. The US justice department is looking for something to charge him with that does not involve the death penalty (as many on the right want), since no European country would release anyone to the US with the threat of a death sentence.

    And then comes in the lack of credibility the US justice system has in many European countries these days, and the clear political motives behind wanting Assange given over to the US. What law exactly has he broken to be brutally honest? Over 3 million people had access to this information on a daily basis before it was leaked.. it was hardly hugely secret stuff.

    As for the latest leaks.. pft, the Russians already knew that lol, so freaking what.
    Quoted for truth.

  10. #390
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    There's no evidence that they don't either.

    Truly the days where just the charge is enough....I bet you believe that one must prove themselves innocent of a particular charge too don't you?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •