Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 181

Thread: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

  1. #41
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I personally consider a lot of this to be a huge overreaction. Some of this information, such as the cables between our embassies, is embarrassing, but hardly top secret. This list that people are having a conniption fit about isn't something that a good researcher with an internet connection couldn't have put together.
    So why is your President, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and everyone on down the line going ballistic? Are they misinformed or are they just playing to the dumbmasses?

    .

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    He didn't steal it. He RECEIVED it.
    I know you've been involved around law enforcement before so you may know better than me. But is it particularly legal or looked at as much lesser if you recieve stolen property and then leverage it for your own gains while knowing its stolen?

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    So why is your President, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and everyone on down the line going ballistic? Are they misinformed or are they just playing to the dumbmasses?

    .
    It is embarrassing.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I know you've been involved around law enforcement before so you may know better than me. But is it particularly legal or looked at as much lesser if you recieve stolen property and then leverage it for your own gains while knowing its stolen?
    It's just a different charge. Technically speaking, Julian Assange did not steal this information. He received it from a source.

    That makes him not a lot different from Woodward and Bernstein.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin
    I know you've been involved around law enforcement before so you may know better than me. But is it particularly legal or looked at as much lesser if you recieve stolen property and then leverage it for your own gains while knowing its stolen?
    The information that was leaked isn't stolen property, either.

    "Secret diplomacy is a necessary tool for a propertied minority which is compelled to deceive the majority in order to subject it to its interests... The abolition of secret diplomacy is the primary condition for an honest, popular, truly democratic foreign policy... The workers’ and peasants’ Government abolishes secret diplomacy and its intrigues, codes, and lies. We have nothing to hide." - Trotsky, WWI
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  6. #46
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    [GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It is embarrassing.
    So they are lying when they claim it is harmful to USA security? I would call that playing to the dumbmasses.

    .

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    [GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]So they are lying when they claim it is harmful to USA security? I would call that playing to the dumbmasses.

    .
    I mean, it's not helpful to us to be internationally embarrassed, but I don't believe there is anything that has been leaked that is really a serious threat to national security. In fact, some of the leaked documents make U.S. diplomats from the state department look pretty compentent in the face of global idiocy. It's a mixed bag.

    I certainly don't have my panties in a wad about it, I must confess that i'm somewhat enjoying the spectacle.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I think that will be the primary result of this situation, access to such data will be more strictly curtailed. On the other hand, I don't consider a lot of this information to be "secret," strictly speaking.
    I agree. Fortunately, none of the information is "top secret." Nonetheless, given the description of the inventory of facilities as being "vital" to U.S. security, Mr. Assange's motives are fully transparent. In releasing information that the U.S. considered "vital," it is clear that his intent is not some high-minded effort to bring transparency to the public, but a narrow pursuit aimed at damaging U.S. interests. No sovereign state can or should allow such willful effort to damage its interests to proceed with impunity.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    He didn't steal it. He RECEIVED it.
    Then there is a leak that needs to be stopped. The person giving out this information is breaking the law

  10. #50
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: List of facilities 'vital to US security' leaked

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I mean, it's not helpful to us to be internationally embarrassed, but I don't believe there is anything that has been leaked that is really a serious threat to national security. In fact, some of the leaked documents make U.S. diplomats from the state department look pretty compentent in the face of global idiocy. It's a mixed bag.

    I certainly don't have my panties in a wad about it, I must confess that i'm somewhat enjoying the spectacle.
    I am also enjoying the spectacle, but then I don't have a dog in the fight. If is causes problems for the USA government, all the better.

    .

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •