Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 125

Thread: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

  1. #21
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    You said it, " People obviously AREN'T being careful ". What makes you think they will look at and use the camera anymore than checking behind the vehicle and using mirrors? Lets just mandate that all vehicles are made to drive themselves. Lets let a computer take away all responsibility of driving. Makes me wonder how I lived as long as I have. No seat belts growing up, no backup camera, no child seat, etc. Oh wait, maybe it was because my parents were responsible and safe.(lol).
    It is an idea I like. If we have the technology, why not utilize it? You are probably still fuming over the regulation to have windshields.

    As for growing up with seat belts. When I was 4 yrs old I was in a fatal head on collison. We didn't have seat belts in those days and I was tossed around like a rag doll with both legs broken and mulitple lacerations. The other car crossed the white line so the accident had nothing to do with my parent's safe driving.

  2. #22
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    You said it, " People obviously AREN'T being careful ". What makes you think they will look at and use the camera anymore than checking behind the vehicle and using mirrors? Lets just mandate that all vehicles are made to drive themselves. Lets let a computer take away all responsibility of driving. Makes me wonder how I lived as long as I have. No seat belts growing up, no backup camera, no child seat, etc. Oh wait, maybe it was because my parents were responsible and safe.(lol).
    I'm entirely okay with automated cars. We'd still get where we need to go, probably faster and cheaper than we do now, and with fewer, if any, accidents. Where's the downside?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,886
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I heard about this. It's a great idea. It is not possible to see an object directly behind most vehicles.

    I backed my truck out of the garage, wondering why it was making such a strange noise all of a sudden. When I looked, it was because the garbage can had been left behind it, and was dragging along. That was only a garbage can, no big deal, not a child.

    Another thing we need on cars is front brake lights. When you're in an intersection waiting to make a left, and the light turns yellow, is that oncoming driver going to try to beat the light, or stop? Brake lights would tell you. If you're waiting to make a right at a stop, and the oncoming driver in the right lane has his blinker on, is he really going to turn? If his brakes aren't on, he probably doesn't know the turn signal is on. That would be such a simple thing, I wonder why no one has thought of it?
    Ironicly every one of those things that you mention is easily fixed by simply paying attention and taking a few extra precautions. All without having to have extra's installed into your car.

    First let me state that I have no problem with these camera's being installed. I just think that they're useless and promotes laziness.

    No child would be ran over if people simply LOOKED before they even got into a vehicle. Look around the area, note who is around and their locations. If there are children around and close enough to your vehicle to get behind it before you back out then warn them to stay away. (good idea to let them know why as they will more than likely actually listen then.) If the child is small enough to need supervision then let the supervising adult know what you are doing and you just want to insure the childs safety. Do this even if you have to go up to their front door and pound on it.

    If there is an elderly walking along the sidewalk then wait for them to pass. Even if they are half a block away. Better to be safe than them dead because you were impatient.

    Last of all, before you even get into the vehicle walk around it to make sure there is no child hiding behind/under your vehicle and that there are no objects around it.

    As far as your brakes on the front of the vehicle idea, simple idea is to just not go until they are at a complete stop. Not to mention if he's trying to race through a yellow light then your light is more than likely red. So if he endangers you by racing through a yellow light then you are doing something illegal, like trying to jump ahead a few seconds before the light turns green.

    For people turning right, if there are no stop lights then legally he has the right of way. Come to a complete stop and let him do his thing.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #24
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Ironicly every one of those things that you mention is easily fixed by simply paying attention and taking a few extra precautions. All without having to have extra's installed into your car.

    First let me state that I have no problem with these camera's being installed. I just think that they're useless and promotes laziness.

    No child would be ran over if people simply LOOKED before they even got into a vehicle. Look around the area, note who is around and their locations. If there are children around and close enough to your vehicle to get behind it before you back out then warn them to stay away. (good idea to let them know why as they will more than likely actually listen then.) If the child is small enough to need supervision then let the supervising adult know what you are doing and you just want to insure the childs safety. Do this even if you have to go up to their front door and pound on it.

    If there is an elderly walking along the sidewalk then wait for them to pass. Even if they are half a block away. Better to be safe than them dead because you were impatient.

    Last of all, before you even get into the vehicle walk around it to make sure there is no child hiding behind/under your vehicle and that there are no objects around it.

    As far as your brakes on the front of the vehicle idea, simple idea is to just not go until they are at a complete stop. Not to mention if he's trying to race through a yellow light then your light is more than likely red. So if he endangers you by racing through a yellow light then you are doing something illegal, like trying to jump ahead a few seconds before the light turns green.

    For people turning right, if there are no stop lights then legally he has the right of way. Come to a complete stop and let him do his thing.
    Yes, in some perfect world where every human being paid 100% attention and had 100% situational awareness 100% of the time, never making a mistake, we'd have no accidents.

    In the real world, however, there's no way to be aware of everything all the time. No matter how careful you are, you can make mistakes or sometimes just not have a line-of-sight to the child behind your car. Even if every person was ultra careful all the time, there would still be accidents. It behooves us to take reasonable precautions in vehicle design to prevent this.
    Last edited by Deuce; 12-05-10 at 01:30 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #25
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    The Gov't needs to get the hell out of regulations! And drivers need to actually LOOK behind them! Heck EVERY time I leave my computer chair I look to see if there is a cat behind me so I dont hurt them! This is jusst another way the gov't oversteps its role!
    Well that makes too much sense. Actually having to look in the mirrors AND turn and twist your body for an entire 1-2 seconds to look behind your vehicle before proceeding backwards!! The OURTRAGE at having to do something like that. Here's a better option:
    Put a camera and an 8 inch drop down screen which pops out each time the car is put in reverse. The car will not move until the camera shows what's behind you and the operator presses an "acknowledge" button on the screen, which sends a signal to a sattelite that gives the vehicle a pass code which then allows the car to go to the next step. This is a loud beeping sound which we've all heard on large trucks and vehicles. Then the next step is for the driver to take press a button on the dashboard, which activates a small air horn that was installed into the vehicle by the manufacturer which sounds 3 times, at 1 second intervals. Once that is completed, the car is allowed to move backwards at a maximum of 1/2 mile per hour for up to 200 feet. A sensor is also installed in the rear of the vehicle such that, if any movement crosses the path of the sensor, the vehicle automatically stops, and the process must then be started from the beginning.

    That will save 300 lives 100% of the time but would only be put into effect if people were REALLY concerned about those 300 lives. Just putting a camera in doesn't do squat.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Well that makes too much sense. Actually having to look in the mirrors AND turn and twist your body for an entire 1-2 seconds to look behind your vehicle before proceeding backwards!! The OURTRAGE at having to do something like that. Here's a better option:
    Put a camera and an 8 inch drop down screen which pops out each time the car is put in reverse. The car will not move until the camera shows what's behind you and the operator presses an "acknowledge" button on the screen, which sends a signal to a sattelite that gives the vehicle a pass code which then allows the car to go to the next step. This is a loud beeping sound which we've all heard on large trucks and vehicles. Then the next step is for the driver to take press a button on the dashboard, which activates a small air horn that was installed into the vehicle by the manufacturer which sounds 3 times, at 1 second intervals. Once that is completed, the car is allowed to move backwards at a maximum of 1/2 mile per hour for up to 200 feet. A sensor is also installed in the rear of the vehicle such that, if any movement crosses the path of the sensor, the vehicle automatically stops, and the process must then be started from the beginning.

    That will save 300 lives 100% of the time but would only be put into effect if people were REALLY concerned about those 300 lives. Just putting a camera in doesn't do squat.
    I'm starting to come around to you on this issue, although the issue isn't being able to look around, especially in large cars there is an obvious blind spot immediately behind the vehicle that the driver cannot view by "twisting their body around and looking for 1-2 seconds".

    I'd still strongly encourage people to get such cameras installed, but perhaps the best way to do this is through strong support and more informative safety ratings that are easy for the consumer to find, rather than a mandate.

    Maybe people should give feedback at that link I posted a few pages back.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,886
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, in some perfect world where every human being paid 100% attention and had 100% situational awareness 100% of the time, never making a mistake, we'd have no accidents.

    In the real world, however, there's no way to be aware of everything all the time. No matter how careful you are, you can make mistakes or sometimes just not have a line-of-sight to the child behind your car. Even if every person was ultra careful all the time, there would still be accidents. It behooves us to take reasonable precautions in vehicle design to prevent this.
    Yes, no matter what accidents will happen. On that I agree with you. You do know though that this includes those camera's right? Also you did read the part where I have no problem with them being put in cars right? Your post comes across as being a bit snarky because for some reason you think I am against these camera's?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I heard about this. It's a great idea. It is not possible to see an object directly behind most vehicles.

    I backed my truck out of the garage, wondering why it was making such a strange noise all of a sudden. When I looked, it was because the garbage can had been left behind it, and was dragging along. That was only a garbage can, no big deal, not a child.

    Another thing we need on cars is front brake lights. When you're in an intersection waiting to make a left, and the light turns yellow, is that oncoming driver going to try to beat the light, or stop? Brake lights would tell you. If you're waiting to make a right at a stop, and the oncoming driver in the right lane has his blinker on, is he really going to turn? If his brakes aren't on, he probably doesn't know the turn signal is on. That would be such a simple thing, I wonder why no one has thought of it?
    It is if you look. If you can't see and you're not sure use G.O.A.L (get out and look).

    This is just another overreaching government polciy, that will have less effect backing accidents and more effect on taking money out of people's wallets.

    Just imagine all the tax revenue that will come in when these cameras stop working--and they will--and it costs several hundred dollars to get it fixed; the cops will have just another thing to write you up for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, in some perfect world where every human being paid 100% attention and had 100% situational awareness 100% of the time, never making a mistake, we'd have no accidents.

    In the real world, however, there's no way to be aware of everything all the time. No matter how careful you are, you can make mistakes or sometimes just not have a line-of-sight to the child behind your car. Even if every person was ultra careful all the time, there would still be accidents. It behooves us to take reasonable precautions in vehicle design to prevent this.
    That's assuming that people are going to look at the camera, 100% of the time. Rearview mirrors have been on cars almost from the day that cars started being built; and people still don't/can't use them properly. And, this camera is going to make a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #30
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It is if you look. If you can't see and you're not sure use G.O.A.L (get out and look).

    This is just another overreaching government polciy, that will have less effect backing accidents and more effect on taking money out of people's wallets.

    Just imagine all the tax revenue that will come in when these cameras stop working--and they will--and it costs several hundred dollars to get it fixed; the cops will have just another thing to write you up for.
    The cameras cost like $150 installed, and the requirement will only be fore *new* vehicles. Also, a cop has no way of knowing if your camera works or not and there's no proposal to make this a ticketable offense. The tax revenue will be... whatever the sales tax is on the camera. Bought in bulk and installed by manufacturers, you're probably talking $50 added to the price of the car. $100 tops.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's assuming that people are going to look at the camera, 100% of the time. Rearview mirrors have been on cars almost from the day that cars started being built; and people still don't/can't use them properly. And, this camera is going to make a difference?
    The camera provides you with a vantage point that rearview mirrors are incapable of, especially on larger vehicles like SUV's and trucks. No, I didn't assume people would look at the camera 100% of the time. Assuming any person will take any action 100% of the time is going to end poorly.

    Yes, this will make a difference, and it's not an unreasonable demand.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •