Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 125

Thread: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    For the FINAL time...I challenged you to find ANY product that you can get cheaper from a manufacturer. That means radios, mirrors, gps systems, fenders, headlights, ANYTHING !
    I don't see the point of your challenge... If you're talking about extras added on after you buy the car, or as optional when you buy the car, of course they will be expensive; they can justify passing the cost onto you. Here are some after market cameras.

    80 bucks

    60 bucks

    24 bucks (without a screen)

    90 bucks

    90 bucks (with a 10.2" screen :O)

    My point is, at the moment these products are currently in limited production. When a car company needs... a few million cameras... it will become cheaper. Also, tech gradually becomes cheaper over time. Also, a lot of cars already have screens in them to begin with...

  2. #112
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post
    I don't see the point of your challenge... If you're talking about extras added on after you buy the car, or as optional when you buy the car, of course they will be expensive; they can justify passing the cost onto you. Here are some after market cameras.

    80 bucks

    60 bucks

    24 bucks (without a screen)

    90 bucks

    90 bucks (with a 10.2" screen :O)

    My point is, at the moment these products are currently in limited production. When a car company needs... a few million cameras... it will become cheaper. Also, tech gradually becomes cheaper over time. Also, a lot of cars already have screens in them to begin with...
    Thanks for proving my point. After market accessories are ALWAYS cheaper than those available from the auto manufacturers.

    Here's an OEM back-up camera for a GM that costs $630, then you have to pay for installation.

    2008-2009 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra OEM back up camera

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Thanks for proving my point. After market accessories are ALWAYS cheaper than those available from the auto manufacturers.

    Here's an OEM back-up camera for a GM that costs $630, then you have to pay for installation.

    2008-2009 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra OEM back up camera
    My point isn't about the cost to the consumer, it's about the cost to the manufacturer... That's what I've been trying to say these past few hours.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post
    My point isn't about the cost to the consumer, it's about the cost to the manufacturer... That's what I've been trying to say these past few hours.
    And you somehow think those aren't related ???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    And you somehow think those aren't related ???
    Of course they're related... but I've already shown that cameras CAN be manufactured relatively cheaply, why wouldn't they go to a cheaper source?

    Apple Mac prices are also radically above the prices for each component within the computer... They charge the premium because they can.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post
    Of course they're related... but I've already shown that cameras CAN be manufactured relatively cheaply, why wouldn't they go to a cheaper source?

    Apple Mac prices are also radically above the prices for each component within the computer... They charge the premium because they can.
    When you are ready to discuss the real world, come back and we'll continue.

    Adios

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    When you are ready to discuss the real world, come back and we'll continue.

    Adios
    I am discussing the real world... It's a fact that the cameras can be had cheap, and that they overcharge for their own products. It's the same with genuine inspections.

    We're talking about the cost it would take away from the manufacturer to implement these measures, if you want to talk about how much of that they'd pass onto the customer then I'd be fine with that.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post
    I am discussing the real world... It's a fact that the cameras can be had cheap, and that they overcharge for their own products. It's the same with genuine inspections.

    We're talking about the cost it would take away from the manufacturer to implement these measures, if you want to talk about how much of that they'd pass onto the customer then I'd be fine with that.
    Since the manufacturer's cost is irrelevant, I don't see any point in even bringing it up. It's the cost to the consumer that's the point of this thread.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #119
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Since the manufacturer's cost is irrelevant, I don't see any point in even bringing it up. It's the cost to the consumer that's the point of this thread.
    Which could be nothing if they wanted it to be nothing.
    Most people pay excessively for their vehicles because they don't know what to really do when they go to buy one. Everyone in the process of making and then selling you a vehicle want to swindle you out of money so they can then go home with their pockets stuffed.

    I've never paid *over* sticker price for a new vehicle - I save thousands by being smart, well researched and well planned. .. they can bump the base cost of my next vehicle up $500.00 for this system and I'll still walk away paying thousands LESS than the average joe at the dealership.

    If I can haggle and pull it of then there's no reason why someone else couldn't do the same thing.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Rear-view cameras on cars could become mandatory

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Since the manufacturer's cost is irrelevant, I don't see any point in even bringing it up. It's the cost to the consumer that's the point of this thread.
    Okay then, you want to have that conversation. For this entire thread I've been talking about the cost to the manufacturer, mainly because people usually dislike putting excessive costs onto the manufacturer.

    As for how much they will pass on to the consumer... nobody can really say.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •