Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    The Senate blocked President Obama's and Democratic leaders' tax cut plans Saturday in a foreordained symbolic vote that now sends both sides back to the negotiating table to work out a viable deal.

    A bipartisan filibuster, led by unified Republicans and joined by four Democrats and one independent, proved there isn't enough support to back Mr. Obama's preferred option to extend income tax cuts for couples making less than $250,000 and tax increases for those making more than that.

    With that vote out of the way, attention turns back to the high-level working group Mr. Obama and congressional leaders set up this week to try to work out a solution. That group met three times already, but Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican and one of the negotiators, said it was clear to him that Democrats weren't going to negotiate until they had gone through the votes to prove to their political base that raising taxes on the wealthy wasn't viable.
    Senate blocks Obama's tax plan - Washington Times

    Some turncoats on the democratic side finally listened to the people whom elected them unlike the house.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    Senate blocks Obama's tax plan - Washington Times

    Some turncoats on the democratic side finally listened to the people whom elected them unlike the house.
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im.../17/rel16e.pdf

    Only a third support the full extension according to this poll. So assuming those third in America which support it also vote with the same frequency as everyone else, than in fact they probably received more votes from those who didn't want full extension.

    Course other polls say different things but I think either way it goes to far to say that the people want full extensions.

    http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolit...views-in-polls
    Last edited by Wiseone; 12-04-10 at 08:43 PM.

  3. #3
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im.../17/rel16e.pdf

    Only a third support the full extension according to this poll. So assuming those third in America which support it also vote with the same frequency as everyone else, than in fact they probably received more votes from those who didn't want full extension.

    Course other polls say different things but I think either way it goes to far to say that the people want full extensions.

    Tax Cut Extension For All Gets Confusing Reviews In Polls : It's All Politics : NPR
    If one does a little cross referencing with other recent polls that reflect a sizable percentage of people can't name the Vice President or even their own governor, it clears things up a little.

    Am going to guess that a high number of the folks getting polled about the "tax extension legislation" don't have much of a clue what the question is/was.


    Just a thought....



    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im.../17/rel16e.pdf

    Only a third support the full extension according to this poll. So assuming those third in America which support it also vote with the same frequency as everyone else, than in fact they probably received more votes from those who didn't want full extension.

    Course other polls say different things but I think either way it goes to far to say that the people want full extensions.

    Tax Cut Extension For All Gets Confusing Reviews In Polls : It's All Politics : NPR
    So you are telling me the democrats voted against because their voters told them to vote for it and they just wanted to buck the system and side with the Republicans..........
    Last edited by Heavy Duty; 12-04-10 at 09:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im.../17/rel16e.pdf

    Only a third support the full extension according to this poll. So assuming those third in America which support it also vote with the same frequency as everyone else, than in fact they probably received more votes from those who didn't want full extension.

    Course other polls say different things but I think either way it goes to far to say that the people want full extensions.

    Tax Cut Extension For All Gets Confusing Reviews In Polls : It's All Politics : NPR
    Lets assume your numbers are correct. !/3rd supported the extension to those making over $200K, $250K couple, that supposedly is only 2% of taxpayers. 33% thinking it is good that those 2% to benefit like the rest of us. Approximately a 17 to 1 ratio. When are ****ing Democrats going to wake up to the the insanity of class envy, and how it destroys the job-creation sector ? Or is it all about some poll that is skewered to make stupid look smart ? Is raising the taxes on the job creators going to fix our almost 10% unemployment ? Has a libtard in ths entire forum made that argument, which would be pathetic anyway ? Does one want to make it now ? Does one liberal fool want to tell the rest of us how raising taxes is going to put people back to real work ? Jobs that are not government make-work ? Are the liberals in this forum that brain-dead to support any tax increase right now ? Make the argument libtards !

    I am all for employers laying off the Democrats first when the need arises. Or at least those who voted Democrat. You voted for discriminatory taxation policy ? Say "hello" to its tangible manifestations. Now, if we can crank UI back to 26 weeks, you just might wake up when there is no more government teat for you to suckle !!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Lets assume your numbers are correct. !/3rd supported the extension to those making over $200K, $250K couple, that supposedly is only 2% of taxpayers. 33% thinking it is good that those 2% to benefit like the rest of us. Approximately a 17 to 1 ratio. When are ****ing Democrats going to wake up to the the insanity of class envy, and how it destroys the job-creation sector ? Or is it all about some poll that is skewered to make stupid look smart ? Is raising the taxes on the job creators going to fix our almost 10% unemployment ? Has a libtard in ths entire forum made that argument, which would be pathetic anyway ? Does one want to make it now ? Does one liberal fool want to tell the rest of us how raising taxes is going to put people back to real work ? Jobs that are not government make-work ? Are the liberals in this forum that brain-dead to support any tax increase right now ? Make the argument libtards !

    I am all for employers laying off the Democrats first when the need arises. Or at least those who voted Democrat. You voted for discriminatory taxation policy ? Say "hello" to its tangible manifestations. Now, if we can crank UI back to 26 weeks, you just might wake up when there is no more government teat for you to suckle !!
    My point was that its a little bit of a stretch to call it the will of the people when only 30-40% would support the full extension. Thats the only point I was trying to make. So unless you're going to argue that 30-40 is now a majority, or perhaps even the large majority or entirety of the people, then we aren't talking about the same thing.

    See, the OP says its the will of the people. And I say no its probably somewhere between 30-40% who knows for sure, but its clearly not even close to a large majority which I'm assuming is what the OP says when it says "people."

  7. #7
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Lets assume your numbers are correct. !/3rd supported the extension to those making over $200K, $250K couple, that supposedly is only 2% of taxpayers. 33% thinking it is good that those 2% to benefit like the rest of us. Approximately a 17 to 1 ratio. When are ****ing Democrats going to wake up to the the insanity of class envy, and how it destroys the job-creation sector ? Or is it all about some poll that is skewered to make stupid look smart ? Is raising the taxes on the job creators going to fix our almost 10% unemployment ? Has a libtard in ths entire forum made that argument, which would be pathetic anyway ? Does one want to make it now ? Does one liberal fool want to tell the rest of us how raising taxes is going to put people back to real work ? Jobs that are not government make-work ? Are the liberals in this forum that brain-dead to support any tax increase right now ? Make the argument libtards !

    I am all for employers laying off the Democrats first when the need arises. Or at least those who voted Democrat. You voted for discriminatory taxation policy ? Say "hello" to its tangible manifestations. Now, if we can crank UI back to 26 weeks, you just might wake up when there is no more government teat for you to suckle !!
    So are you telling us that a hedge fund manager making a cool billion or two/year is a job creator?


  8. #8
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,686
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    So are you telling us that a hedge fund manager making a cool billion or two/year is a job creator?
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  9. #9
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    So are you telling us that a hedge fund manager making a cool billion or two/year is a job creator?
    when you dems want to tax only billionaires more maybe we can talk though I oppose progressive taxes to begin with

    I do agree that the loophole that allowed these managers to claim their income is capital gains or dividends when its really earned income is specious.

    however, I find it rather dishonest for those who advocate tax increases on all the top 2% to constantly reference 400 or so people



  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    My point was that its a little bit of a stretch to call it the will of the people when only 30-40% would support the full extension. Thats the only point I was trying to make. So unless you're going to argue that 30-40 is now a majority, or perhaps even the large majority or entirety of the people, then we aren't talking about the same thing.

    See, the OP says its the will of the people. And I say no its probably somewhere between 30-40% who knows for sure, but its clearly not even close to a large majority which I'm assuming is what the OP says when it says "people."
    Here is some more math for the subject. We are told that 47% do not pay ANY Federal INCOME tax. That leaves 53%. So 33% is probably a majority of those folks who actually support the government through income tax payments.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •