Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I feel like I should be re-posting the exact same post again...
    The 47% is a bull**** number. And the fact that you believe that funding the federal government is the same as paying a federal income tax really shows an ignorance of the issue.

    Anyway the whole original point of my posts here was that the full tax cut extensions aren't supported by the majority of voters, which is the case, especially since you haven't sourced your statement that the numbers are actually in favor.
    You keep saying its a "BS number", citing other fringe taxes, but then fail to acknowledge how many who pay no federal income tax are net tax recipients through all the Fed giveaway programs of OPM, as in redistribution. When other folks pay up to 35% FEDERAL INCOME TAX without fringes, and almost half the U.S. pays NONE, your argument is moot.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Just some additional info. According to the acclaimed polling organization Gallup:



    You can find a link to this data here. Notably, there is greatest public support for keeping the tax cuts for all but the wealthiest Americans. Also, given that some form of tax cut will be renewed, a majority (57%) want the tax cuts to expire for the wealthy.

    Addressing the claim by some on the "left" that the rich only want the tax cuts because they'll make money off it, there is little evidence for this within the general population.



    I hope this helps.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    send the link to joe manchin

    and hurry!

  4. #24
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    He's absolutely correct. Does it matter? No. It'll still get renewed.

    What's worse than having taxes the same level they were 10 years ago? Having low taxes and not balancing the budget. How about instead of hurting the middle class FOR ONCE we take something from the rich and cut military spending significantly. At least to the level China has theirs at. There is no threat to the United States mainland that requires a military budget that's the size of the rest of the world's combined.

    But no. I'm sure that in the following years the rich will get more and more concessions, while the middle/lower classes will get screwed continually. Nothing new.

    Also, the United States is 82nd out of the countries we have data for in UN 10%R/P (income inequality between top and bottom 10%) and 76th in the CIA 10%R/P. Only 4 places above Iran.
    Last edited by SirPwn4lot; 12-05-10 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Adding stuff...

  6. #26
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    What a lot of people don't understand is how the rich can get breaks from several other things be it through investments, business expenses, etc.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  7. #27
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    My point was that its a little bit of a stretch to call it the will of the people when only 30-40% would support the full extension. Thats the only point I was trying to make. So unless you're going to argue that 30-40 is now a majority, or perhaps even the large majority or entirety of the people, then we aren't talking about the same thing.

    See, the OP says its the will of the people. And I say no its probably somewhere between 30-40% who knows for sure, but its clearly not even close to a large majority which I'm assuming is what the OP says when it says "people."
    I think it has a lot to do with how it is presented to the people.
    The extreme left such as Pelosi. The Republicans want to give the richest people, millionaires and billionaires a tax cut. That is a cost of 700 billion that we can't afford. They are not willing to give those breaks to those making under 200,000 a yr and they want to cut off unemployment benifits during the holidays. Those people depend on those checks to buy food and toys. Millions of people are going to have an unhappy Christmas, because the Rep. refuse to vote on an extention at the cost of only 18 billion, but they want to give their wealthy friends 700 billion that they don't need.

    Republicans say, This is no time to raise taxes on anyone, including the rich who are the job creaters. Unemployment benifits should be paid for the stimulous package.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I feel like I should be re-posting the exact same post again...
    The 47% is a bull**** number. And the fact that you believe that funding the federal government is the same as paying a federal income tax really shows an ignorance of the issue.

    Anyway the whole original point of my posts here was that the full tax cut extensions aren't supported by the majority of voters, which is the case, especially since you haven't sourced your statement that the numbers are actually in favor.
    Don't you ever get tired of patting yourself on the back. I am also tired of morons who want to point to a gas sales tax or other such nonsense to say more people tax some sort of tax. Everyone understands that. However those people pay essentially NOTHING for the things they feel the country should pay for, like defending them, food stamps, education, etc.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post
    Just some additional info. According to the acclaimed polling organization Gallup:



    You can find a link to this data here. Notably, there is greatest public support for keeping the tax cuts for all but the wealthiest Americans. Also, given that some form of tax cut will be renewed, a majority (57%) want the tax cuts to expire for the wealthy.

    Addressing the claim by some on the "left" that the rich only want the tax cuts because they'll make money off it, there is little evidence for this within the general population.



    I hope this helps.
    Am I reading this right? There are more Dems and independents who want all cuts to expire than Rep.? Why do dems hate the middle class? :-)
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Senate blocks Obama's tax plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Am I reading this right? There are more Dems and independents who want all cuts to expire than Rep.? Why do dems hate the middle class? :-)
    They're probably the ones concerned with the deficit/debt

    Not that I necessarily agree with them. We should cut spending as much as logically reasonable, then adjust tax rates so that a slight surplus is attained. There is a $685.1 billion dollar a year (and rising) expenditure that could be cut significantly

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •