Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 128

Thread: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

  1. #81
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    mid-illinois
    Last Seen
    10-08-16 @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    272

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You obviously have not had much exposure to gay people.
    with a low percentage of people overall proclaiming theyre homosexual, the numbers certainly support your assumption of my lifetime exposure to gay people, just as it also supports my comments on the lack of great numbers in more agressive sports/activities/careers overall.

    how many gay black belts do you know vs. how many gay hair dressers? its a matter of statistics and thats all.. you seem to feel because you can find one gay person with a bit of masculinity, there must be an even distribution overall in any field.. not true.

    have you served your country to know what is and what isnt dispersed in terms of gay soldiers throughout the various occupations? it just might be that a general lack of military exposure on your part clouds your perception, rather than just assuming i have had so limited an encounter with gay people that it must be me in the wrong.

    again as i personally have seen.. gay soldiers are are far less likely to be found in more agressive MOS's and more likely to be found in clerical positions and changing DADT will not change this in the least. is it a problem? no it never was and will never be, it just is..

  2. #82
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteRash View Post
    with a low percentage of people overall proclaiming theyre homosexual, the numbers certainly support your assumption of my lifetime exposure to gay people, just as it also supports my comments on the lack of great numbers in more agressive sports/activities/careers overall.

    how many gay black belts do you know vs. how many gay hair dressers? its a matter of statistics and thats all.. you seem to feel because you can find one gay person with a bit of masculinity, there must be an even distribution overall in any field.. not true.

    have you served your country to know what is and what isnt dispersed in terms of gay soldiers throughout the various occupations? it just might be that a general lack of military exposure on your part clouds your perception, rather than just assuming i have had so limited an encounter with gay people that it must be me in the wrong.

    again as i personally have seen.. gay soldiers are are far less likely to be found in more agressive MOS's and more likely to be found in clerical positions and changing DADT will not change this in the least. is it a problem? no it never was and will never be, it just is..
    It's a matter of who is out and who is in the closet. It's far, far safer for a gay man to be out as a hairdresser than out as a football player. That is why it appears to individuals like yourself that there are more gay hairdressers than there are gay football players. What you are demonstrating it what is referred to as, "Iran complex", because you are pretending that because they are not publicly out about their sexual orientation that they don't exist. Professions in high contact sports are not very tolerant toward homosexuality and so many gay players hide their sexuality.

  3. #83
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    254

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    The perfect solution: gay military units. It solves every problem both ways! Seriously, think about it. The two issues about repealing don't ask don't tell are (1) will normal men and women be fine with the forced intimacy of the military with homosexuals, and (2) making sure everyone's dealing with openly gay troops without giving gays harrassement. Gay military units means that normal troops won't have any problems, because they won't have to deal with it, and gays won't have any problems because they'll be in their own units.
    They can have different water fountains too, gay germs are icky

  4. #84
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by 70s_guy View Post
    Again on the below link per my previous post below, the most important question in that poll is shown below. A question that should have been asked in Obama's poll. Note adding the two favors is 29.5% while adding the two oppose is 51% with the rest neutral. What many of you gays don't seem to understand is it is not a matter of a simple majority of military soldiers supporting your view that matters as it might be in an election but rather that those opposing change are significant numbers. The fact so many STRONGLY oppose shows how serious the issue is considered. And no amount of policy changes or sensitivity training is going to make much of a difference for those holding strongly held moral beliefs.

    11. All in all, do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military?

    Strongly favor 14.5%
    Favor 15%
    Neutral 18.7%
    Oppose 14.2%
    Strongly oppose 36.8%
    Decline to answer 0.8%

    Military News, benefits, careers, photos, discussions - Military Times HOME
    Ever wonder what percentage of whites strongly opposed serving with blacks in WWII?

    Bet it was a lot higher than the 36.8% who now strongly oppose gays openly serving. But they were integrated anyway. That's what will happen in this situation, too. Common sense (the quality that some of you ignorantly call political correctness) and fairness will prevail.

    The people who you claim may be negatively impacted because of their 'strongly held moral beliefs' are fools if they don't already know they are serving with gay people. Is it morally superior to serve with gays only if you don't know exactly which troops are gay?
    Last edited by tryreading; 12-05-10 at 11:38 PM.
    Do not write in this space!

  5. #85
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Ever wonder what percentage of whites strongly opposed serving with blacks in WWII?

    Bet it was a lot higher than the 36.8% who now strongly oppose gays openly serving. But they were integrated anyway. That's what will happen in this situation, too. Common sense (the quality that some of you ignorantly call political correctness) and fairness will prevail.

    The people who you claim may be negatively impacted because of their 'strongly held moral beliefs' are fools if they don't already know they are serving with gay people. Is it morally superior to serve with gays only if you don't know exactly which troops are gay?
    Didn't you hear about all those wars we lost because blacks and whites served together? And all the other wars that every country who has allowed gays to serve openly has lost?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #86
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteRash View Post
    with a low percentage of people overall proclaiming theyre homosexual, the numbers certainly support your assumption of my lifetime exposure to gay people, just as it also supports my comments on the lack of great numbers in more agressive sports/activities/careers overall.

    how many gay black belts do you know vs. how many gay hair dressers? its a matter of statistics and thats all.. you seem to feel because you can find one gay person with a bit of masculinity, there must be an even distribution overall in any field.. not true.

    have you served your country to know what is and what isnt dispersed in terms of gay soldiers throughout the various occupations? it just might be that a general lack of military exposure on your part clouds your perception, rather than just assuming i have had so limited an encounter with gay people that it must be me in the wrong.

    again as i personally have seen.. gay soldiers are are far less likely to be found in more agressive MOS's and more likely to be found in clerical positions and changing DADT will not change this in the least. is it a problem? no it never was and will never be, it just is..
    I know many more gay people than average, and I find that among gay men, those who are into aggressive sports far outweighs those of the more hollywood stereotype gay. I am from a small rural town, and most of the gay guys here are redneck gays, into pickups, and hunting and things like that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #87
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Didn't you hear about all those wars we lost because blacks and whites served together? And all the other wars that every country who has allowed gays to serve openly has lost?
    We ought to keep our gays at home in the kitchen and away from those nasty foreign theaters. We'd win all our wars, and Navy and the 70s guy could relax their sphincters a little.
    Do not write in this space!

  8. #88
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am from a small rural town, and most of the gay guys here are redneck gays, into pickups, and hunting and things like that.
    ROFL. I use to live with one of those.

    I'm geek gay, the easiest kind of gay to be since geeks usually don't get girls anyways.

  9. #89
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I know too many that were discharged because someone saw them off post etc. That is why it needs to be repealed. It is used way to liberally. No pun intended, lol.
    Yeah and if the ban were lifted on gays and DADT redefined, it wouldn't be an issue. Afterall, the effort is being made to lift DADT, not the actual ban on gays. Personally, I think the DADT abolitionists are painting themselves into a corner and don't even know it, because of a serious lack of how the system within the armed forces works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #90
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: McCain: 'Don't Ask' Repeal May Cause Troop Exodus

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah and if the ban were lifted on gays and DADT redefined, it wouldn't be an issue. Afterall, the effort is being made to lift DADT, not the actual ban on gays. Personally, I think the DADT abolitionists are painting themselves into a corner and don't even know it, because of a serious lack of how the system within the armed forces works.
    The system would work best simply by removing DADT and any language about gays. Treat people as people, not as some label. Put every one in the military on an even footing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •