Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 176

Thread: Jobless Rate Rises to 9.8 Percent, Highest Since April(edited)

  1. #71
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,268

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    We've been trending downwards for more than 3 years. There have been several cycles of Republican/Democrat control all with the same end results. Awesome use of hyperbole and propaganda though.
    The recession started in December 2007 and ended in June 2009 yet today there are more unemployed people today than when the recession started, how do you explain it?

  2. #72
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Right, the true number of unemployed is much, much higher.
    Exactly. I would think, however, that the "real" unemployment number has been showing a lot more signs of progress than the official number, since we have had net job creation for many months now.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #73
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Nope, actually it was correct on both counts.
    750k x 24= 18 million; 18 million + 8.5 million = 26.5 million; 26.5 million/ 154 million = 17.2% The last time we had the unemployment rate over 11% was prior to 1939.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #74
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The recession started in December 2007 and ended in June 2009 yet today there are more unemployed people today than when the recession started, how do you explain it?
    Unemployment is a lagging economic indicator. Of course there are more unemployed people now than there were when the recession started. Or to rephrase that, of course there are more unemployed people following a period of layoffs and slow growth than there were following a period of job creation and fast growth.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #75
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The recession started in December 2007 and ended in June 2009 yet today there are more unemployed people today than when the recession started, how do you explain it?
    The actual recession started before that. That's just when the financial institutions (the entity government is concerned with) started feeling it. Our production capabilities have slowly been dwindling for quite some time now. The reason we're at the state we are now is because of corporatism and government protections of the corporate elite.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #76
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,268

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Kandahar;1059136292]American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.



    American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
    Which did absolutely nothing to stimulate and grow the economy thus creating jobs. I pointed out the facts regarding both the Obama and the Bush tax cuts and people today are still benefiting from the Bush tax cuts, at least those still working. Can you say the same thing about the Obama tax cuts?


    The fact that you seem wholly oblivious to the policies that Obama has actually enacted (as opposed to political rhetoric) is not my fault.
    Then since I am oblivious to the policies that Obama has actually enacted, please enlighten me and tell me what he has done to improve things. Results matter not rhetoric. Obama campaigned for the job, said he could fix it and hasn't so I anxiously await your list of Obama policies and accomplishments since the results don't show positive results.

    If you had a list of taxes he cut, then why did you ask me whose taxes were cut?
    To show you how foolish your argument is.


    I would assume that the Bush tax cuts affected the economy more, since they were larger. They also lasted for a much longer period of time than was necessary to stimulate the economy during a recession, and unnecessarily added to the deficit during good economic times.
    Right, and you if you are working are still benefiting from the Bush tax cuts and want to know how you keeping more of what you earn is a cost to the Federal Govt? Can you explain to me how tax revenue went up after the Bush, Reagan, JFK tax cuts and still are going down after the Obama tax cuts?

  7. #77
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,268

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The actual recession started before that. That's just when the financial institutions (the entity government is concerned with) started feeling it. Our production capabilities have slowly been dwindling for quite some time now. The reason we're at the state we are now is because of corporatism and government protections of the corporate elite.
    There is one non partisan entity, NBER, the records and reports the recession. Take that issue up with them.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,268

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Unemployment is a lagging economic indicator. Of course there are more unemployed people now than there were when the recession started. Or to rephrase that, of course there are more unemployed people following a period of layoffs and slow growth than there were following a period of job creation and fast growth.
    You are right, this lagging indicator is worse than any other recession unemployment data in history. How do you explain it?

  9. #79
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Which did absolutely nothing to stimulate and grow the economy thus creating jobs. I pointed out the facts regarding both the Obama and the Bush tax cuts and people today are still benefiting from the Bush tax cuts, at least those still working. Can you say the same thing about the Obama tax cuts?




    Then since I am oblivious to the policies that Obama has actually enacted, please enlighten me and tell me what he has done to improve things. Results matter not rhetoric. Obama campaigned for the job, said he could fix it and hasn't so I anxiously await your list of Obama policies and accomplishments since the results don't show positive results.



    To show you how foolish your argument is.




    Right, and you if you are working are still benefiting from the Bush tax cuts and want to know how you keeping more of what you earn is a cost to the Federal Govt? Can you explain to me how tax revenue went up after the Bush, Reagan, JFK tax cuts and still are going down after the Obama tax cuts?
    There is no point having a discussion with someone who only see's what they want. Tax revenue increases with population growth, inflation, and economic growth. Tax revenue has increased since Obama stepped into office, must have been a result of his policy
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #80
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,268

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Exactly. I would think, however, that the "real" unemployment number has been showing a lot more signs of progress than the official number, since we have had net job creation for many months now.


    Really? where is the link to that information? Business owners that shutdown their businesses and contract workers aren't counted in the unemployment number. The American people spoke on Nov. 2 and it does appear that they aren't buying your rhetoric.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •