Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 176

Thread: Jobless Rate Rises to 9.8 Percent, Highest Since April(edited)

  1. #31
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    LOL, yep, that indirect affect on the economy led to more than 4 million more unemployed, 3 trillion added to the debt, and uncertainty on the part of businesses as to their costs going forward.
    This is your biased opinion. Still you fail to consider the magnitude of the 2008/2009 financial crisis. We are very lucky unemployment did not reach 1930's levels.

    Yep, that hope and change is sure working out perfectly. You are right, spending all that money hasn't been stimulative, so why was it done in the way it was spent?
    There is a difference between stimulative, and adequately stimulative. It was deficit hawks (who you support) that forced the inadequate stimulus.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #32
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    How is that hope and change working out for you? Why does anyone buy the rhetoric from this Administration?

    The recession ended in June 2009 and yet today we have higher unemployment each month of 2010 than we had in 2009, the last year of the recession? Are the remaining Obama supporters ever going to admit they have been duped by the rhetoric of this empty suit?

    Jobless Rate Rises to 9.8 Percent, Highest Since April - FoxNews.com
    The recession didn't end. It's just that the people who government cares about (Wallstreet, banks, all the ones who donate large amounts of money, etc.) aren't feeling the pinch anymore so they think we're done and in the clear. The People had suffered before then and continue to suffer now. But it's all the same ol' same ol'. Obama ain't any different from any other Republocrat out there. People who thought so were fools. Take care of the aristocracy, **** the rest of us. That's the Republocrat motto.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Well, in all fairness he did increase the size, scope, and power of the federal government. The economic situation we've experienced was simply an excuse to do so. Any real american liberal/leftists knows this. So, no, no one was actually duped, except for some of the independents who actually believed his campaign promises and put him into office in the first place. It's really quite amazing just how easy it is to pull one over on political neophytes.
    You have GOT to be kidding? Increased the size of government? No new branch of government has been created under Pres. Obama that I'm aware of. If anything, he had the courage to revised, rename and re-align the department that issues offshore oil drilling permits to strengthen the permitting process, increase inspections on offshore oil rigs and strengthen the permit application and inspection processes. And yes, that meant hiring more inspectors and administrative staff, but I'd rather he had done that to help keep oil plantforms and our coastlines safer than to allow things to remain as they were prior to the BP oil spill. Those who critisize these measures...apparently you prefer another major, collosal oil spill in the GOM over doing what's right and fixing the permit and inspection processes to ensure as best we can that another major oil spill off our shores never happens again.

    But if you really want to complain about the size and inefficiency of government, maybe you should look into our intellegence agencies, i.e., the Department of Homeland Security. Mind you before you come to the department's defense, you must first know how much unnecessary redundency and duplication we have in our intelligence and counterterrorism agencies and how many millions of U.S. dollars they waste every year. Of course, no one complains much or enough about it because the waste is heavily defended (mostly by the Right) in the name of protecting the homeland and defending our national security.

    I'm not against doing these things (defending our shores against terrorism). I just think our foreign and domestic intellegence aporatus can work much more efficiently without so much waste and un-necessary redundency. But like I said, few want to talk about this issue because anyone who brouches the subject of waste and inefficiency within our intellegency agencies must be "non-patriotic/unAmerican". :eyeroll:

  4. #34
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Guess I will just have to live with the fact that my falacies as you call them are backed up by actual results.
    You brought up something completely irrelevant to the discussion for one, you attacked a strawman for two, and used an ad ohm in three so to avoid making a competent statement. Reading comprehension is necessary for discussion.


    The Private sector is not increasing jobs at a rate that is reducing the unemployment numbers, businesses aren't investing because consumer demand isn't there
    Correct up to this point.

    because of uncertainty as to what their costs will be next year thus are saving.
    This is only partially correct. Some people are saving (which includes consumer deleveraging), others have seen their incomes fall close to zero. Consumption demand falls in a 1:1 fashion with income. Unemployment benefits are necessary to prevent demand from falling further, as they push consumption up by providing a limited income for necessities.

    My comments regarding raising taxes on the rich had nothing to do with deficit reduction because raising those taxes won't affect the deficit
    Raising taxes during this stage does not help short/medium term growth outlooks. Once the unemployment rate is at an acceptable level, tax increases combined with spending reductions are a requirement for a sustainable government.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #35
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The recession didn't end. It's just that the people who government cares about (Wallstreet, banks, all the ones who donate large amounts of money, etc.) aren't feeling the pinch anymore so they think we're done and in the clear. The People had suffered before then and continue to suffer now. But it's all the same ol' same ol'. Obama ain't any different from any other Republocrat out there. People who thought so were fools. Take care of the aristocracy, **** the rest of us. That's the Republocrat motto.
    Why anyone would take posts like your seriously is beyond me. We live in a country where there is plenty of room at the top for all but it takes work, hard work, risk taking, initiative, and drive which many aren't willing to do. It is always someone else's fault for personal failures. Please tell me how Wall Street, Banks, or anyone else hurt you or your family personally? Why would anyone work so hard to destroy the greatest economy on the face of the earth by promoting class warfare and envy?

  6. #36
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    My point is if you spend a couple trillion dollars and get these kind of results you would be fired and that is what should happen to Obama. All Obama did was increase unemployment and the debt for his trillions in spending and that doesn't bode well for anyone.
    Whether you believe the stimulus was ineffective or insufficient -- it failed. Obama promised that unemployment wouldn't go above 8%... and now it's over 9% for the longest period in history, with no end in sight.

    So yes, unless we see a *big* turnaround in the next couple of years, it will certainly make it very difficult for Obama to be reelected... but you never know, what if his opponent is a Republican version of John Kerry?

  7. #37
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,298
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Please tell me how Wall Street, Banks, or anyone else hurt you or your family personally?
    So you have drive, initiative, you worked hard, you took risks, and because some banks made bad bets you lost your house due to no fault of your own, you also lost your medical care because little Timmy got sick, and your premiums skyrocketed...

    tell me how that's fair, and shouldn't have been changed and regulated?

  8. #38
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Whether you believe the stimulus was ineffective or insufficient -- it failed. Obama promised that unemployment wouldn't go above 8%... and now it's over 9% for the longest period in history, with no end in sight.

    So yes, unless we see a *big* turnaround in the next couple of years, it will certainly make it very difficult for Obama to be reelected... but you never know, what if his opponent is a Republican version of John Kerry?
    Obama fooled a lot of people with his rhetoric and put them in a trance so they ignored his resume. He won the election with 52% of the vote, today his approval rating is about 40% so he lost 12% of his support. Those people woke up, others never will.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    So you have drive, initiative, you worked hard, you took risks, and because some banks made bad bets you lost your house due to no fault of your own, you also lost your medical care because little Timmy got sick, and your premiums skyrocketed...

    tell me how that's fair, and shouldn't have been changed and regulated?
    So how did you lose your house through no fault of yours? Who forced you to buy a home you couldn't afford?

    How many people went bankrupt because they couldn't get care for their sick child? Stop with the typical liberal bs.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Unemployment rate hits 9.8%. Hope and Change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why anyone would take posts like your seriously is beyond me. We live in a country where there is plenty of room at the top for all but it takes work, hard work, risk taking, initiative, and drive which many aren't willing to do. It is always someone else's fault for personal failures. Please tell me how Wall Street, Banks, or anyone else hurt you or your family personally? Why would anyone work so hard to destroy the greatest economy on the face of the earth by promoting class warfare and envy?
    Because the point is to close off economic mobility. Economic mobility doesn't just mean that the poor can get rich through hard work. It also means the rich can get poor through stupidity. And that's the direction that the aristocracy would like to close off. Wall street and the banks hurt all of us. The removal of proper oversight and regulation along with the ability to form oligopoly (thanks to Clinton) allowed them to operate in a way which drove the system to break. Thus we all got burned. Then the government takes our money and gives it to the very people who broke the system. Hate to break it to you. The greatest economy on the face of the earth was already broken and it was broken through class warfare. Free market capitalism does not exist in the US, hasn't for some time.

    And now we have near 10% unemployment, but there's no push to solve anything because the government has already protected the aristocracy. The real quesion isn't "how can one take my post seriously". But rather "how can one not consider the data on hand".
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •