Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 931

Thread: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

  1. #841
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,145

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Doesn't look like you understand the tax structure of this country and the difference between use taxes and Federal Income taxes. Please tell me what sales taxes, gasoline taxes, and FICA taxes fund and thus their relationship to Federal Income Taxes.



    I love people who divert from the thread topic in hopes of making some kind of points. At debate here are the extension of the Bush tax cuts and that has nothing to do with the other taxes you mentioned. How can you say it is a myth that some people pay over 50% of their income in taxes. You need to get out more and do some research. What you don't seem to understand is that income taxes are taxes on what you make and use taxes are taxes upon what you use. If you don't drive a car, you don't pay gasolline taxes, if you don't own a home, you don't pay property taxes, if you don't buy anything you don't pay sales taxes but if you earn income you are to pay income taxes yet 47% don't. Get it yet?




    No, everyone doesn't have an income tax burden and since income taxes fund the govt. 47% aren't paying any share of that responsibility. I am for extention of all the Bush tax cuts thus have no class envy. I am part of an ideology that doesn't really care how much money YOU make. Only liberals care what someone else makes yet it does seem that liberals want do define fair by creating their own definition.
    People are making the point that 47% of the people are not paying taxes. I am making the point that while they may not pay income tax, they pay lots of other types of tax and are thus taxpayers. These taxes, when measured against income (though they are not directly related to income) are usually paid at a much higher level, making them regressive taxes. Sorry, but I do not find the specific use of their respective tax revenues germane to my argument and thus irrelevant.... my argument is simply that they are taxpayers.

    So many people that view taxes as "their money" want to cry a river about all of the type of taxes they pay.... they are not concerned about the particular use, just the fact they pay it. These same people want to tell you that 47% of the people pay no taxes. That is disingenuous.

    (BTW - I was licensed as a CPA in NY years back... so I have a little understanding of taxes... certainly enough to debate you, when you can stay on topic, work with full truths and get over your bad self)
    Last edited by upsideguy; 12-10-10 at 03:10 AM.

  2. #842
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    People are making the point that 47% of the people are not paying taxes. I am making the point that while they may not pay income tax, they pay lots of other types of tax and are thus taxpayers. These taxes, when measured against income (though they are not directly related to income) are usually paid at a much higher level, making them regressive taxes. Sorry, but I do not find the specific use of their respective tax revenues germane to my argument and thus irrelevant.... my argument is simply that they are taxpayers.

    So many people that view taxes as "their money" want to cry a river about all of the type of taxes they pay.... they are not concerned about the particular use, just the fact they pay it. These same people want to tell you that 47% of the people pay no taxes. That is disingenuous.

    (BTW - I was licensed as a CPA in NY years back... so I have a little understanding of taxes... certainly enough to debate you, when you can stay on topic, work with full truths and get over your bad self)
    Again, apples and oranges, as this thread is about INCOME TAX CUTS, not sales tax, property taxes, exice taxes, payroll taxes. If you were a CPA then you ought to know the difference in taxes and how the money is supposed to be allocated. Apparently not. How many people pay excise taxes if they don't drive? How about payroll taxes if they are retired or don't work? How many people don't pay sales tax because they don't buy taxable products. Compare that to the Income earners, how many don't pay any income taxes even though they have income-47%. Unbelievable!!

  3. #843
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,078

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Again, apples and oranges, as this thread is about INCOME TAX CUTS, not sales tax, property taxes, exice taxes, payroll taxes. If you were a CPA then you ought to know the difference in taxes and how the money is supposed to be allocated. Apparently not. How many people pay excise taxes if they don't drive? How about payroll taxes if they are retired or don't work? How many people don't pay sales tax because they don't buy taxable products. Compare that to the Income earners, how many don't pay any income taxes even though they have income-47%. Unbelievable!!
    It is both disingenuous and intellectually dishonest for the right wing to attempt to narrowly frame any argument about taxes to only one specific tax while ignoring the regressivity of the real taxes that tens of millions pay. They obviously do this in an attempt to push a thinly veiled agenda intended to install Republicans as the winners in elections for decades to come.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #844
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It is both disingenuous and intellectually dishonest for the right wing to attempt to narrowly frame any argument about taxes to only one specific tax while ignoring the regressivity of the real taxes that tens of millions pay. They obviously do this in an attempt to push a thinly veiled agenda intended to install Republicans as the winners in elections for decades to come.
    and you can bet that the super rich republicans will take care of their wanna be rich toadys to the tune of a few extra bucks per paycheck, while the super rich rake in many thousands in tax breaks.
    The saddest one of all is the inheritance tax. The middle class supported the repeal of estate taxes even tho it didn't affect them.
    At least, that is what our elected officials tell us. I bet if there was a national referendum on the issue, the outcome would have been different. The ONLY people who benefit from that are the richest among us. I can agree that family businesses might be impacted, but if the family business were incorporated and ownership spread thin amongst share holders, aka family members, it becomes a permanent entity with no inheritance issues. So that was always a way out...

    I know, class envy, jealousy, job killer, etc., yada, yada, yada...
    Last edited by UtahBill; 12-10-10 at 01:34 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #845
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It is both disingenuous and intellectually dishonest for the right wing to attempt to narrowly frame any argument about taxes to only one specific tax while ignoring the regressivity of the real taxes that tens of millions pay. They obviously do this in an attempt to push a thinly veiled agenda intended to install Republicans as the winners in elections for decades to come.
    If you want to cut property taxes, sales taxes, excise taxes then take that up with the states not the Federal Govt. Those taxes have nothing to do with the issue on the table which is INCOME Taxes. How many income earners aren't paying any income taxes? 47%!!! Compare that to the other taxes which are state controlled.

  6. #846
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    and you can bet that the super rich republicans will take care of their wanna be rich toadys to the tune of a few extra bucks per paycheck, while the super rich rake in many thousands in tax breaks.
    The saddest one of all is the inheritance tax. The middle class supported the repeal of estate taxes even tho it didn't affect them.
    At least, that is what our elected officials tell us. I bet if there was a national referendum on the issue, the outcome would have been different. The ONLY people who benefit from that are the richest among us. I can agree that family businesses might be impacted, but if the family business were incorporated and ownership spread thin amongst share holders, aka family members, it becomes a permanent entity with no inheritance issues. So that was always a way out...

    I know, class envy, jealousy, job killer, etc., yada, yada, yada...
    What extra bucks in their paycheck? There is no tax cuts, just extension of the tax rates currently in place. I believe you know that.

  7. #847
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What extra bucks in their paycheck? There is no tax cuts, just extension of the tax rates currently in place. I believe you know that.
    you mean there are no NEW tax cuts...just an extension of the Bush Tax Cuts.
    and IMO, Obama should tell the GOP to pack sand, and let those cuts expire as congress planned when they were established.

    Certainly it was stupid of GWB to give a tax cut and start a war in Iraq at the same time.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #848
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,510
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    you mean there are no NEW tax cuts...just an extension of the Bush Tax Cuts.
    and IMO, Obama should tell the GOP to pack sand, and let those cuts expire as congress planned when they were established.

    Certainly it was stupid of GWB to give a tax cut and start a war in Iraq at the same time.
    No... we should be shooting for the Reagan era rates and the cuts in spending the Dems promised. Back to 28%, and gutting the pig.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  9. #849
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    you mean there are no NEW tax cuts...just an extension of the Bush Tax Cuts.
    and IMO, Obama should tell the GOP to pack sand, and let those cuts expire as congress planned when they were established.

    Certainly it was stupid of GWB to give a tax cut and start a war in Iraq at the same time.
    I know that this may come to a total and complete surprise to you but Bush isn't in office any more and according to the lastest information the public isn't happy with the current occupant and his tax policies.

    Most Americans Say They

  10. #850
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    upsideguy;1059149578]People are making the point that 47% of the people are not paying taxes. I am making the point that while they may not pay income tax, they pay lots of other types of tax and are thus taxpayers. These taxes, when measured against income (though they are not directly related to income) are usually paid at a much higher level, making them regressive taxes. Sorry, but I do not find the specific use of their respective tax revenues germane to my argument and thus irrelevant.... my argument is simply that they are taxpayers.
    What taxes others pay are subject to their own activity. They don't own a home they have no property taxes, they don't buy taxable items at the store they don't pay any sales tax, they don't drive a car they don't pay any excise taxes. That makes use taxes different than income taxes. Only with income taxes do people that earn income don't have to pay taxes and that is the point.

    So many people that view taxes as "their money" want to cry a river about all of the type of taxes they pay.... they are not concerned about the particular use, just the fact they pay it. These same people want to tell you that 47% of the people pay no taxes. That is disingenuous.
    Try to stay focused and pay attention to what has been posted, 47% of the INCOME earners don't pay any INCOME TAXES. Get it yet?

    (BTW - I was licensed as a CPA in NY years back... so I have a little understanding of taxes... certainly enough to debate you, when you can stay on topic, work with full truths and get over your bad self)
    Maybe it is an issue of reading comprehension that is the problem. I am waiting for you to explain to me how a customer of yours as a CPA keeping more of what they earn is an expense to the Federal Govt? Further please name for me any other tax other than Income taxes that someone can get out of paying simply by not performing an activity? You drive, you pay, you buy, you pay, yet you make income and you don't have to pay. Make sense to you, Mr. CPA

Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •