Page 10 of 94 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 931

Thread: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

  1. #91
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Will someone explain to me the American obsession with low taxes?
    I'm confused by the obsession of taking money from those who earned it.
    In my opinion that should be kept as low as possible. The government isn't known for spending money wisely, so the less they are given, the better for the economy.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You see, most of us were raised learning personal responsibility vs. govt. responsibility. Lower taxes means more take home pay and thus the ability to spend the money as we see fit and thus need less govt. It does seem that many here never learned history and how our country was founded and the economic principles established. Too bad, it used to be a great country built out of a wonderful vision. Our Founders paid the price for poor choices but today there are no consequences for poor choices as far too many expect to be bailed out for those choices and that includes business.
    So were you trying to offer an actual response, or just give me a discursive appeal to tradition?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    when you get old enough to start paying over half your income to the various taxes than maybe you will understand.

    THe real obsession is from those who don't pay for what they use obsessing over increasing taxes on those who do
    My diabolical plan to teach Mediaeval history to high schoolers doesn't pay enough to be taxed quite that much.

    I'm more concerned about the fact that teenagers are taxed without representation.

    All the playing the ageism card has shown is that I'm in a position to look at taxes objectively, while you are not.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I'm confused by the obsession of taking money from those who earned it.
    In my opinion that should be kept as low as possible. The government isn't known for spending money wisely, so the less they are given, the better for the economy.
    Did they earn it on their own, or is their success due, in part, to a societal framework which is conducive to such prosperity? If the latter is true, then those whose profit from society owe that society the same opportunities that they capitalized on to enrich themselves.

    When it comes to the wealthy, this means picking up the slack in tax revenues.

  4. #94
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    But the 47% not paying taxes are probably supplying 98% of the enlisted troops...
    So we get a tax deduction because someone from the family enlists? I actually wouldn't have a problem with that however I doubt that is the case.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Did they earn it on their own, or is their success due, in part, to a societal framework which is conducive to such prosperity? If the latter is true, then those whose profit from society owe that society the same opportunities that they capitalized on to enrich themselves.

    When it comes to the wealthy, this means picking up the slack in tax revenues.
    Who are you or anyone else to determine what a fair wage is? What makes the difference where they made their success? Seems to me the question that needs to be asked is why you have a problem with private sector profits which you have a choice to support and no concerns by govt. greed that takes from the producers and redistributes to others that don't? Profit is a four letter word to far too many which raises the issue of education. One of these days you are going to understand what it is like to pay over half your income in taxes while watching others demand more while paying very little.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Did they earn it on their own, or is their success due, in part, to a societal framework which is conducive to such prosperity? If the latter is true, then those whose profit from society owe that society the same opportunities that they capitalized on to enrich themselves.

    When it comes to the wealthy, this means picking up the slack in tax revenues.
    Something to think about

    American Thinker: The Presidency that Saved America

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    "Over the medium term, the tax cuts are simply not affordable" but allowing the tax cuts to expire at the end of the year would "make an already stagnating jobs market worse," Orszag continued.
    Orszag calls for tax cut extension in news column - Sep. 7, 2010

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Who are you or anyone else to determine what a fair wage is? What makes the difference where they made their success? Seems to me the question that needs to be asked is why you have a problem with private sector profits which you have a choice to support and no concerns by govt. greed that takes from the producers and redistributes to others that don't? Profit is a four letter word to far too many which raises the issue of education. One of these days you are going to understand what it is like to pay over half your income in taxes while watching others demand more while paying very little.
    I honestly do not understand what your point is, or how you refuted what I said.

    Maybe you could call me "sonny boy" or "young whippersnapper" some more. That should enhance your argument.

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Did they earn it on their own, or is their success due, in part, to a societal framework which is conducive to such prosperity?
    why don't you tell us

    tell webb, manchin, lieberman, nelson, conrad, bayh...

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: House Passes Middle-Class Tax Cut as Dems, GOP Try to Reach Compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    why don't you tell us

    tell webb, manchin, lieberman, nelson, conrad, bayh...
    I prefer people to admit it rather than just taking it as axiom, but fine, I'm telling you, since you asked nicely.

    Nobody gets rich purely on their own steam. Everyone in this society, no matter how rich or poor, owes their success partly to the society in which they live.

Page 10 of 94 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •