Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 609

Thread: Republicans block child nutrition bill

  1. #51
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Oh I misunderstood you....
    No worries. It happens.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #52
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    If there really were a "liberal mainstream media," the fact that the GOP does this sort of thing all the time would me more prevalent in the narrative.
    Your must be kidding or just playing dumb. The portrayal of Republicans as uncaring of the needy is constantly part of the narrative. That and racism are the go to strategies used to discredit Republicans all of the time.

  3. #53
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    free lunch is redundent. the ones who qualify for free lunch already qualifiy for food stamps. I ask again..why should we, the taxpayers, provide free money to these people to pay for the same meal twice?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #54
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, schools should stop providing lunch altogether?
    Who said that? Making things up again?

    Look, I don't think that 501(c) should be anywhere near being able to get their hands on this money, do you?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #55
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Maybe they should stop providing free lunches.
    I don't really know, but way back when I was in school, I don't remember anyone getting them free. But then they cost like 40 cents :-)
    Some kids packed in brown bags and some kids walked home for lunch.
    No one went hungry and I don't recall kids eating only junk.
    It's time parents were given back the responsibility of feeding their kids.
    Which parents are these, exactly? The ones who leave home before the kids get up to get to work and don't get home until after dark? The ones who haven't the time to make their own lunches, let alone someone else's. Oh! You mean the housewives. Because this is still 1952. And women don't work. And everyone of consequence is a suburban white family. And poor people who work 14 hour days to ensure that their kids have a roof over their heads and food to eat at all don't exist in the public eye.

    Wake up and get with the program. It's 2010 and the poorest 20% of the population (which is primarily mandated by race) are in trouble. Helping poor people live better lives and giving their children a chance to move up the economic ladder and truly break into the middle class is not about "growing government". It's about some human compassion. But I guess we can't have that now, can we? Not if it means some people have to pay an extra 12 bucks a year on their income tax.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    Your must be kidding or just playing dumb. The portrayal of Republicans as uncaring of the needy is constantly part of the narrative. That and racism are the go to strategies used to discredit Republicans all of the time.
    Reality does have a liberal bias.



    Just joking a bit, but on a serious note, republicans do often object to things that help the needy. In some cases they may have justifable reasons, but in some cases they really do appear to just be harsh. Now, if we don't report what they object to, or sugar coat it, that would be bias. Just reporting what they vote agianst, quoting there reasons and quoting how others respond is not bias.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who said that? Making things up again?

    Look, I don't think that 501(c) should be anywhere near being able to get their hands on this money, do you?

    j-mac
    Nope, asking a question. Brown bag lunches come from home, and I don't object to them. But as it was a response to the lunches served at school, I asked if he meant we should stop having schools prepare lunch. It's a fair question.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    free lunch is redundent. the ones who qualify for free lunch already qualifiy for food stamps. I ask again..why should we, the taxpayers, provide free money to these people to pay for the same meal twice?
    I think you overestmate how much food you can get with food stamps. Not to mention that a hot luch at school is not covered with food stamps. So they would have to bring it from home. If we do that, can we mandate that those using food stamps provide healthy food?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #59
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Which parents are these, exactly? The ones who leave home before the kids get up to get to work and don't get home until after dark? The ones who haven't the time to make their own lunches, let alone someone else's. Oh! You mean the housewives. Because this is still 1952. And women don't work. And everyone of consequence is a suburban white family. And poor people who work 14 hour days to ensure that their kids have a roof over their heads and food to eat at all don't exist in the public eye.

    Wake up and get with the program. It's 2010 and the poorest 20% of the population (which is primarily mandated by race) are in trouble. Helping poor people live better lives and giving their children a chance to move up the economic ladder and truly break into the middle class is not about "growing government". It's about some human compassion. But I guess we can't have that now, can we? Not if it means some people have to pay an extra 12 bucks a year on their income tax.
    Well, not exactly. It is about growing government....I'll post it again.

    S. 3307 would increase federal spending by $4.6 billion on school meal programs, expand the size of government by creating or expanding 17 programs, place onerous unfunded mandates on local school districts and state governments, increase prices for paying families, and allow federal bureaucrats to determine what foods children can and cannot be served at school.
    Oh, and $12 bucks here, $10 bucks there....Before you know it you work for free.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #60
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,680

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Which parents are these, exactly? The ones who leave home before the kids get up to get to work and don't get home until after dark? The ones who haven't the time to make their own lunches, let alone someone else's. Oh! You mean the housewives. Because this is still 1952. And women don't work. And everyone of consequence is a suburban white family. And poor people who work 14 hour days to ensure that their kids have a roof over their heads and food to eat at all don't exist in the public eye.

    Wake up and get with the program. It's 2010 and the poorest 20% of the population (which is primarily mandated by race) are in trouble. Helping poor people live better lives and giving their children a chance to move up the economic ladder and truly break into the middle class is not about "growing government". It's about some human compassion. But I guess we can't have that now, can we? Not if it means some people have to pay an extra 12 bucks a year on their income tax.


    Hyperbole, mixed in with a little race baiting, make such a nice strawman.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •