Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 609

Thread: Republicans block child nutrition bill

  1. #541
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I know that was sarcasm, otherwise it would sound sort of liberal....
    seriously, if these parents are so incapable of supporting their kids that the govt must raise them for them... why not just go all the way? let the govt confiscate the kids and raise them? or put em in foster homes? that way the money will go directly to supporting the kids and the dirtbag parents won't have the opportunity to skim off the top to fund their laziness.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #542
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Let's put it this way. I think most rich, or tax payers would ahve no trouble funding programs for the very poor, provided that we meet in the middle. What I mean, is, if we're going to pay for the capable, but yet unwilling (for whatever reason) then why not demand some reciprocation. Meaning, work for your hand outs. Whether it be day care services in da hood, sweeping up the roads, garbage pick up, window washing, you name it folks, there are a ton of jobs that we pay unionized workers an incredibly high wage for that requires no skill set, only effort. That is the kind of compromise that I could go for, but it is the hard thing to do. Why is it hard? Well, it's not really, but politically, we lack leaders that have the conviction to make it happen, and we lack judges that see the virtue in implementing programs such as work for hand outs.

    The truth is that no one opposes halping the truly unable, and needy, but the reality is that most that are taking out without putting in, and not truly needy, they are just unwilling. It's the fault of decades of entitlement spending, and we reap what we have sewn.

    As a matter of fact, I see no downside at all to work for welfare, or food stamps, or medicaid, or what have you. If you take, you should do what is within your power to pay back. It's as simple as that.

    The lib's should be all for this kind fo thing, as it answers their main argument. "What about the children". Well the children are still taken care of, we are now just asking that those parents are giving something back.


    Tim-
    Not much I disagree with. But, that would not include children. I think this is where I differ with many of those I am discussing this with.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #543
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    My guess is you havent got clue one as to what you are talking about, whereas I see them every day of the week. I see the system every day of the week. I also see what happens when psych units label them as malingerers as opposed to disordered and pull the free ride rug from under them. You have this idealized pretend version that in no way reflects actual reality. But stick with that.
    Well, we could argue as to who does and doesn't have a clue, but I've been around a few blocks myself. And I'm quite sure you have no idea what my view is of reality. I suggest it is quite possible that you color how you see me and others with your mistaken view of the world around you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #544
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I have relatives like that. claim to be poor and can't afford medical insurance, blah, blah, blah. but they can afford a case of beer every friday night and 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day, cell phones and drive a nicer/newer car than I do.

    but they are poor.
    Sounds like my sister, long time ago. She was opening a fresh carton of cigs and complaining that she doesn't have money for milk for her kids...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #545
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Sounds like my sister, long time ago. She was opening a fresh carton of cigs and complaining that she doesn't have money for milk for her kids...
    I have a cousin who can't afford to send his kids to the doctor, but he can afford to go deer hunting in south alabama every other weekend.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #546
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, we could argue as to who does and doesn't have a clue, but I've been around a few blocks myself. And I'm quite sure you have no idea what my view is of reality. I suggest it is quite possible that you color how you see me and others with your mistaken view of the world around you.
    It'd be the shortest argument you ever saw. If you actually have ANY experience you would know it to be 100% accurate...and from what Ive seen pretty much a universal truth from state to state. Perhaps YOUR state and great experience has led you to the provider that educates, informs, trains, teaches, and helps. I assume they have free unicorn rides in the back yard and schedule the annual summer exodus to Atlantis as well.

    The simple fact of the matter is that it is a profit game. People bid for those contract dollars and are awarded a finite amount. Services are limited to the available resources (after owners, administrative costs, 'emergency funds' etc are extracted). The cheapest answer is to meet with a case worker every other week or so, the psych for 10 minutes to renew meds, and schedule groups that arent attended, classes that arent attended, etc. 40 years later they are still on assistance, their kids are on assistance and their grandkids are being seen at the pedpsych unit. Its so much easier throwing a pill at a problem. their life still sucks, but if you dope em up enough, about 60% of the time they dont CARE that it sucks...the rest of the time...well...it can get ugly...

    But of course...most people dont know that because after all, they have done their part. They have offered their blind support for those programs and filled in the little squares on their feel good check list. Out of sight...CERTAINLY out of mind...someone elses problem.
    Last edited by VanceMack; 12-08-10 at 03:06 PM.

  7. #547
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    It'd be the shortest argument you ever saw. If you actually have ANY experience you would know it to be 100% accurate...and from what Ive seen pretty much a universal truth from state to state. Perhaps YOUR state and great experience has led you to the provider that educates, informs, trains, teaches, and helps. I assume they have free unicorn rides in the back yard and schedule the annual summer exodus to Atlantis as well.

    The simple fact of the matter is that it is a profit game. People bid for those contract dollars and are awarded a finite amount. Services are limited to the available resources (after owners, administrative costs, 'emergency funds' etc are extracted). The cheapest answer is to meet with a case worker every other week or so, the psych for 10 minutes to renew meds, and schedule groups that arent attended, classes that arent attended, etc. 40 years later they are still on assistance, their kids are on assistance and their grandkids are being seen at the pedpsych unit. Its so much easier throwing a pill at a problem. their life still sucks, but if you dope em up enough, about 60% of the time they dont CARE that it sucks...the rest of the time...well...it can get ugly...

    But of course...most people dont know that because after all, they have done their part. They have offered their blind support for those programs and filled in the little squares on their feel good check list. Out of sight...CERTAINLY out of mind...someone elses problem.
    A much longer argunment than youn think. You make sweepting generalizations, but don't specifiy what people, where, who? Welfare doesn't give out pills. Pills are not a part of food stamps. There is much you're leaping over and bundling far too many people up in one bundle. You have no idea where I've worked and what I know, but get more specific and let's see where it goes.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #548
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Sounds like my sister, long time ago. She was opening a fresh carton of cigs and complaining that she doesn't have money for milk for her kids...
    Sounds like the argument my relatives used for why they wouldn't help us when I was a child. As you can imagine, I think well of them as people.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #549
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sounds like the argument my relatives used for why they wouldn't help us when I was a child. As you can imagine, I think well of them as people.
    well if your mother was buying cartons of cigarettes instead of milk, I don't really blame them. that's the trouble with giving money to help the kids of people like that...the vast majority of the time they don't spend the money on the kids.

    you have wasted your money
    the parents are still dirtbags
    and the kids still go hungry


    friend of mine's exwife always complaining that her kids need this and her kids need that but yet she spends the child support money he gives her on new clothes for herself. then she whines that he needs to give her more money.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 12-08-10 at 03:16 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #550
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    A much longer argunment than youn think. You make sweepting generalizations, but don't specifiy what people, where, who? Welfare doesn't give out pills. Pills are not a part of food stamps. There is much you're leaping over and bundling far too many people up in one bundle. You have no idea where I've worked and what I know, but get more specific and let's see where it goes.
    My point is pretty straight up. Liberals love to pretend about how much they care. This thread is a prime example. You 'care' about these poor starving children...so much that you are REALLY upset when all of a sudden it became an issue that republicans blocked a bill that would spend OTHER PEOPLES money on a problem. Ive been pretty specific about medicaid providers and behavioral health units. It would blow peoples minds if they knew how many people in their own county were being 'helped' (such a relative term).

    Thats the point. Throwing other peoples money at a problem doesnt FIX anything. It creates a greater problem. Doing FOR people creates MORE problems.

    That being said...I FULL ON support your right to put your money where your mouth is and VOLUNTARILY...out of YOUR pocket...your resources and your time actually ACT on all those causes.

Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •