Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 609

Thread: Republicans block child nutrition bill

  1. #521
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I'm still thinking on it, but no way can you use blackmail to get them to comply.
    However, I can't see a lot wrong if they were offered the option at no cost to them and no pressure. That goes for birth control too.
    Where there is choice, there is less room for objection.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #522
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Where there is choice, there is less room for objection.
    why don't I get a choice on whether or not I get to pay to support them?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #523
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    If you choose to have kids you can't support, then you have chosen to be hungry.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #524
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    why don't I get a choice on whether or not I get to pay to support them?
    Because you elected representatives to speak for you. That's the way our system works. So, you did have a choice.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #525
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    If you choose to have kids you can't support, then you have chosen to be hungry.
    The chidlren didn't decide. Sorry, but I can't punish children for the parent.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #526
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Because you elected representatives to speak for you. That's the way our system works. So, you did have a choice.
    the guy I voted for didn't win...I don't have a choice. the collective "we" may have a choice...but I don't
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #527
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The chidlren didn't decide. Sorry, but I can't punish children for the parent.
    but by teaching them to grow up dependent on the charity of others...you ARE punishing them and their children and their children's children
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #528
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    but by teaching them to grow up dependent on the charity of others...you ARE punishing them and their children and their children's children
    I disagree that is the lesson. I grew up on welfare, and have never been on welfare as an adult. I was helped when I needed it, and educated to be more than I thought I could be. So, the they will never learn mantra is simply wrong. But people you abandon will sooner our later enter your world in a way you won't like.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #529
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    the guy I voted for didn't win...I don't have a choice. the collective "we" may have a choice...but I don't
    No, you had a choice. He was your representative any way you look at it. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #530
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,711

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's actually more a misreading on your part than anything else. And you misread more than one thing. Throwing people away isn't limited to either liberasl or republicans. Too many people do that, period. And no serious person here suggests that you don't also help people learn and educate and try to change mindsets, something easier said than done. Making things too simplistic is often quite equal to lying.
    My guess is you havent got clue one as to what you are talking about, whereas I see them every day of the week. I see the system every day of the week. I also see what happens when psych units label them as malingerers as opposed to disordered and pull the free ride rug from under them. You have this idealized pretend version that in no way reflects actual reality. But stick with that.

Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •