Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 609

Thread: Republicans block child nutrition bill

  1. #271
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    You, obviously, wouldn't understand because you claim not to know what it's like to WANT to be able to do something but not be ABLE to do it because of circumstances outside your control.
    wrong. I wanted to be a pilot in the Air Force, due to circumstances beyond my control (I was born without 20/20 vision) I was not able to do so.

    If you don't want people to continue to be leeches on the government's money then I'd hope you'd see the benefit in them being given some assistance so they can, then, be able to support their selves and their family with a reasonable career. Overall - it's a benefit to you, whether you recognize that or not.
    the assistance is already out there. grants and training programs aplently. all they have to do is apply. put forth a little effort.

    Curious - how did you pull it off, anyway? Did you work full or parttime? Did your wife have to care for the kids and pick up all that slack while you studied?
    My husband helps out as much as possible - cooking dinner, taking off of work when the kids are sick, and doing other things like cleaning and laundry - if I had to pay my own way I simply wouldn't be attending. It would be like I started years ago - one online class at a time.
    I took all Tues/Thur classes when possible. I did drywall 10-12 hrs a day the other 5 days a week, usually 12-14 hrs a day Sat/Sun. Wife stayed home and took care of the kids. I would come home, grab a quick shower, bite to eat, give the kids a bath, study for a couple hours, get a few hours sleep, rinse and repeat. We ate a lot of rice and beans and did without a lot of things. lived in a trailer park in a singlewide that was 20 years old. all slept in the same room with a little kerosene heater because we couldn't afford to run the heat.

    I know what it is like to be "poor". I also know that the vast majority of poor people are capable of doing more to better themselves.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #272
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,064

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Well sure if you look at a localized area, but we're talking nationally.
    America's poor have babies more often than they change underwear. Having kids with multiple partners out of wedlock is like a badge of honor.

  3. #273
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    America's poor have babies more often than they change underwear. Having kids with multiple partners out of wedlock is like a badge of honor.
    bleat, bleat, bleat......but why should we punish the children for having retarded parents???...wah, wah, wah (accompanied, of course, by the obligatory, and ceremonial, wringing of the hands)
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #274
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    America's poor have babies more often than they change underwear. Having kids with multiple partners out of wedlock is like a badge of honor.
    Not that I think you're accurate by any means, but agian I ask, why punish the children?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #275
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    A lot of objections that politicians have on issues like this are a matter of degree. One group wants to put a big ol' blanket over the problem and capture as many people and therefore votes in the program as possible. The other side wants some reasonable limits which gets translated into "cruel and heartless". Not saying that the objections aren't unreasonable sometimes but this name calling stuff is political and not reality.
    Just as I don't accpet all republicans are heartless, I don't accept your generalization either. People can actually vote for these things because they think they can help.

    But, yes, I agree largely the name calling is political. Not limited to one side. On that we agree.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #276
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not that I think you're accurate by any means, but agian I ask, why punish the children?

    lol, see my comment above. how on earth did I see that coming?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #277
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    lol, see my comment above. how on earth did I see that coming?
    It's a fair question, and as I asked it earlier, you should have seen it coming. Nothing special about that. But, I'd like an answer if you have one.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #278
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    thank you for displaying - for turtle dude's benefit - what hate and envy actually look like


    Thank you for displaying, the non-winner mentality.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #279
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's a fair question, and as I asked it earlier, you should have seen it coming. Nothing special about that. But, I'd like an answer if you have one.
    I've answered it before. you just don't like the answer or you missed/ignored it.

    better to "punish" their children now, than to punish their, mine, your, and our grandchildren tomorrow. that's why.

    mamby pamby, bleeding heart, hand wringing is not going to solve the problem. hard problems sometimes require hard solutions. and if it requires that some people suffer now so that all people don't suffer later, so be it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #280
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    I have 3 cats. several months ago another stray wandered up and starting hanging around my barn. after about a month, the wife says, why not take it to the vet, get it checked out and give him his shots, since he is going to hang around.

    vet's tests showed it had, through no fault of its own, FIV and feline leukemia. I had to "punish" that cat (put him down) in order to keep from having to punish my other 3 cats later when he infected them.

    As Mr. Spock so eloquently stated, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few or the one"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •