Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 609

Thread: Republicans block child nutrition bill

  1. #261
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    reading trouble? I was not childless and single.

    please, I have never stated that those who are "unable" should be punished. but far too many people cry unable, when they are really just unwilling.
    We were typing at the same time so, no, I didn't see your post on that. (the forum use to advise you that someone added onto the thread while you were typing but it doesn't, anymore)

    The people I consider "unwilling" are NOT the one applying to attend college. . . and if a lazy or 'unwilling' person DOES get in - they won't last long. If they get in on a scholarship or even FAFSA benefit of some type they have to maintain good performance.

    For the lazy and unwilling THAT'S not very possible.

    Have you applied for Financial Aid? I did - though I was rejected - it took an immense amount of pre-planning and effort on my part.
    Now, it's great that you were married and had kids - and were able to still work and get through college. But I surely couldn't pull that off. My husband works, I don't - but I do everything else that he doesn't have time for. . . and I'm barely pulling off 4 classes this semester because of *time* - there just aren't enough hours in a day.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 12-03-10 at 10:28 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #262
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    please point out all of the posts in this thread where forum members have advocated for assisting those who are unwilling to help themselves
    please try to post something, anything that is in anyway relevent.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #263
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    We were typing at the same time so, no, I didn't see your post on that.

    The people I consider "unwilling" are NOT the one applying to attend college. . . and if a lazy or 'unwilling' person DOES get in - they won't last long. If they get in on a scholarship or even FAFSA benefit of some type they have to maintain good performance.

    For the lazy and unwilling THAT'S not very possible.
    and why then, should those of us who are not lazy and unwilling, support them?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #264
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    If someone is content to be a HS dropout and live in a trailer park or housing project. Why should I give a rat's ass about them? They made the choice not to complete HS, or go to college, or attend a training school, or join the military.

    why, why, why, why should I pay for their poor choices?

    If you are so physically incapacitated that you can't work, you have no business pumping out kids that you can't feed
    If you are so mentally deficient that you can't get a job, you have no business pumping out kids that you can't feed
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #265
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Reality does have a liberal bias.



    Just joking a bit, but on a serious note, republicans do often object to things that help the needy. In some cases they may have justifable reasons, but in some cases they really do appear to just be harsh. Now, if we don't report what they object to, or sugar coat it, that would be bias. Just reporting what they vote agianst, quoting there reasons and quoting how others respond is not bias.
    A lot of objections that politicians have on issues like this are a matter of degree. One group wants to put a big ol' blanket over the problem and capture as many people and therefore votes in the program as possible. The other side wants some reasonable limits which gets translated into "cruel and heartless". Not saying that the objections aren't unreasonable sometimes but this name calling stuff is political and not reality.

  6. #266
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and why then, should those of us who are not lazy and unwilling, support them?
    You, obviously, wouldn't understand because you claim not to know what it's like to WANT to be able to do something but not be ABLE to do it because of circumstances outside your control.
    If you don't want people to continue to be leeches on the government's money then I'd hope you'd see the benefit in them being given some assistance so they can, then, be able to support their selves and their family with a reasonable career. Overall - it's a benefit to you, whether you recognize that or not.

    Curious - how did you pull it off, anyway? Did you work full or parttime? Did your wife have to care for the kids and pick up all that slack while you studied?
    My husband helps out as much as possible - cooking dinner, taking off of work when the kids are sick, and doing other things like cleaning and laundry - if I had to pay my own way I simply wouldn't be attending. It would be like I started years ago - one online class at a time.

    Unfortunately, I tapped through all the online classes - now I HAVE to attend. If the kids weren't all in school it just wouldn't be possible or affordable - even WITH his GI Benefits.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #267
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    If someone is content to be a HS dropout and live in a trailer park or housing project. Why should I give a rat's ass about them? They made the choice not to complete HS, or go to college, or attend a training school, or join the military.

    why, why, why, why should I pay for their poor choices?

    If you are so physically incapacitated that you can't work, you have no business pumping out kids that you can't feed
    If you are so mentally deficient that you can't get a job, you have no business pumping out kids that you can't feed
    Content? Odd choice of words. You realize this is the type of thing that supports the notion of republicans or conservatives being heartless, but let's put that aisde. Even if the parents are as worthless as you paint them, what purpose does it serve to punish the children?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #268
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    They might. But I'd like to see the Democrats say, "OK, add that" and find out. THEN it would be fine to blame the Republicans, solely.
    I'll accept that. If they did, would the conservatives then accept, assuming republcans still opposed it or tried to add something else, that it was merely a tactic?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #269
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Speaking of which - I have to depart for the day and attend my classes.
    Cheerio.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #270
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans block child nutrition bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Conservatives give much more than liberals. Of course you're likely to find the exception to the rule.
    The devil is always in the details, so I wouldn't go too far down that road. I don't say that all conservatives or all republicans are heartlerss or cheap, but there are some who feel church is not the palce for this type of help. Of course there are some who do. But the truth is, as the great depression clearly showed, poverty is too large a problem for churches to handle. Something larger, like the government is often needed.

    That's why during the great depression those liberal baptist ministers begged government to lend a hand.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •