Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 339

Thread: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I've been to Fort Bragg when my brother was stationed there. He was an E-3 and shared a barracks room with one other guy and I believed it was a suite, so they would have shared the head with two other guys. There was one shower, so then they would still be showering alone.

    And I was in my husband's barracks room several times at Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps base. He shared his room and head with his roommate only, and was also an E-3 at the time.

    This is all consistant with what I have seen everywhere I've been in the Navy as well. On the ship, and even on the barge, we had separate shower stalls. The only time I had to shower in open bay showers was during bootcamp, and during that time, your one and only concern should be getting as clean as you can in the 2-3 minutes you have to do so.

    Now, both my husband and brother confirm that there were either barely separate shower stalls or open bay showers while in combat zones, but neither were bothered that there might be gay guys staring at them if they happened to have to get undressed in front of them. The gay guys are there, in both Marine and Army combat units now.
    The Airborne barracks at Bragg were built in WW2, well at least the 325th were. They are two man rooms with a latrine at both ends of the hall. Open showers.

  2. #92
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    But you have to admit gays are not trusted by the majority of the troops. Do gays serve any different than straights? Not in my opinion. Hell I shared a NCO billets with one that would go to the local gay bars on the weekends. He was a hell of a soldier and could hang with any of us. But the poor guy had to put up with countless slurs and name calling by the rest of the platoon. Hell even our SFC called him Sgt Fancy Pants.
    I have never seen it. went to basic in 1984. yeah the gay guys got slurs, had one guy we called "sweet mike" and another whose nickname was PVT Puffsalot. but the black guys got it, the skinny guys got it, the fat guys got it, the short guys got it. everyone got it. the gay dudes I knew didn't get treated any differently or trusted any less than anyone else. the only difference was they couldn't come out and admit they were gay.

    I started out as a 13B, then got crosstrained to 82C and finally 14T. got my commission as a 14E and then they made me an MP 31A. this last tour I deployed as the BN logistics officer (90A) and spent most of the tour running logpacks from Baghdad to COB Gary Owen, COB Basrah, FOB Minden and Shaibah. I am 99% sure my driver this tour was gay, called him Daisy Duke because he was from GA. Helluva guy and never once let me down.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #93
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I have never seen it. went to basic in 1984. yeah the gay guys got slurs, had one guy we called "sweet mike" and another whose nickname was PVT Puffsalot. but the black guys got it, the skinny guys got it, the fat guys got it, the short guys got it. everyone got it. the gay dudes I knew didn't get treated any differently or trusted any less than anyone else. the only difference was they couldn't come out and admit they were gay.

    I started out as a 13B, then got crosstrained to 82C and finally 14T. got my commission as a 14E and then they made me an MP 31A. this last tour I deployed as the BN logistics officer (90A) and spent most of the tour running logpacks from Baghdad to COB Gary Owen, COB Basrah, FOB Minden and Shaibah. I am 99% sure my driver this tour was gay, called him Daisy Duke because he was from GA. Helluva guy and never once let me down.
    One of the gay guys I served with taught some of the guys the joys of aerobics classes. A good workout, and hang out in the back of the class and watch the women exercise.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #94
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    The Airborne barracks at Bragg were built in WW2, well at least the 325th were. They are two man rooms with a latrine at both ends of the hall. Open showers.
    Yeah, I just realized that I messed up which base I was thinking about. Sorry. He was at Ft. Hood. I have issues with Ft. Bragg right now. They are on my "hate" list.

    But it doesn't matter anyway, because the rest of what I said is completely true. Those soldiers are still sharing those showers now with gay soldiers. Also, very few soldiers have specific shower times outside of bootcamp or punishment. Which means, that if they want to avoid a gay guy looking at them, then they can just make sure that they shower without anyone else in the showers, afterall, even after DADT is repealed, it will not force gay guys to reveal that they are gay, so someone is still taking the chance that a gay guy may be checking them out.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #95
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    I spent 6 weeks at Ft Leonard Wood for MP conversion training in '03. Due to renovations and contruction, the only place they had to billet us was these ****ty old vietnam era metal barracks (the kind you saw on Heartbreak Ridge and Gomer Pyle). As a 1LT and platoon leader, I got the luxury of a 6x8 "private" room at the front of my platoon's hut. The latrines were in a separate hut. 6-8 stalls, several washers and dryer and "the shower room". the shower room was about 8x8 with a single pole in the middle that sprouted 8-10 shower heads. it was so cramped that I lost count of the number of times I rubbed asses with the guy next to me whenever one of us would turn around.

    Don't know for sure if any of the guys were gay...but we never had anyone try to hump someone in the shower.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #96
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    ..."sweet mike"...PVT Puffsalot...Daisy Duke
    Now I wanna join the military just so I can get a cool nickname.

  7. #97
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    One of the gay guys I served with taught some of the guys the joys of aerobics classes. A good workout, and hang out in the back of the class and watch the women exercise.


    Yoga>aerobics....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yeah, I just realized that I messed up which base I was thinking about. Sorry. He was at Ft. Hood. I have issues with Ft. Bragg right now. They are on my "hate" list.

    But it doesn't matter anyway, because the rest of what I said is completely true. Those soldiers are still sharing those showers now with gay soldiers. Also, very few soldiers have specific shower times outside of bootcamp or punishment. Which means, that if they want to avoid a gay guy looking at them, then they can just make sure that they shower without anyone else in the showers, afterall, even after DADT is repealed, it will not force gay guys to reveal that they are gay, so someone is still taking the chance that a gay guy may be checking them out.
    When in a combat MOS after the poop for the next day there was a rush to shower seeing the majority of the time we were dirty and hot. There was a waiting list where when one guy got out he would yell your name out so you could pop in.

    Hell we would do alot of gayish things while showering like ass slapping and laughing at the dudes with the smallest junk. Were there gays involved? I am sure there was but they knew better than to admit it or show any type homosexual behavior. Why? First because they knew they would get the holy **** kicked out of them by the troops that didnt tolerance it and two it was a one way ticket to see the Old Man.

    The troops that kicked the **** out of the soldiers they thought was gay I talked about earlier got 15 days of extra duty and barracks restriction. That's it. Even Top didn't think troops were to be seriously punished for beating a gay soldier. Today might be different but in the 90's many of heads were turned the other way when soldiers were accused of mistreating gay soldiers. The end of my career I didn't deal with many troops in a one on one situation and would hear stuff secondhand if at all. But I doubt after 20 years the mentally of combat troops servicing with gay troops haven't changed much.

  9. #99
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Now I wanna join the military just so I can get a cool nickname.
    We had a "sweet John" in our department. He took the nickname on as a compliment. He was very openly gay. I don't know if he could hide it very well if he tried, but he was a great guy, smart, and a hard worker.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #100
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Now I wanna join the military just so I can get a cool nickname.
    dude...I was LT Teabag for the first couple of years, I had a habit of threatening to "teabag" shirkers and malcontents. "Get caught sleeping on guard duty and the LT is gonna teabag you"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •