Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 229

Thread: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

  1. #1
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,488

    South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    ATLANTA — The Civil War, the most wrenching and bloody episode in American history, may not seem like much of a cause for celebration, especially in the South.

    And yet, as the 150th anniversary of the four-year conflict gets under way, some groups in the old Confederacy are planning at least a certain amount of hoopla, chiefly around the glory days of secession, when 11 states declared their sovereignty under a banner of states’ rights and broke from the union.

    The events include a “secession ball” in the former slave port of Charleston (“a joyous night of music, dancing, food and drink,” says the invitation), which will be replicated on a smaller scale in other cities.
    - NYT: South celebrates Civil War, without slaves - U.S. news - The New York Times - msnbc.com

    I don't think it's a big deal but, how can you "celebrate" the "Civil War" without mentioning one of it's main causes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    I thought from the thread title that they weren't allowing slaves to celebrate the civil war.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    ATLANTA — The Civil War, the most wrenching and bloody episode in American history, may not seem like much of a cause for celebration, especially in the South.

    And yet, as the 150th anniversary of the four-year conflict gets under way, some groups in the old Confederacy are planning at least a certain amount of hoopla, chiefly around the glory days of secession, when 11 states declared their sovereignty under a banner of states’ rights and broke from the union.

    The events include a “secession ball” in the former slave port of Charleston (“a joyous night of music, dancing, food and drink,” says the invitation), which will be replicated on a smaller scale in other cities.
    - NYT: South celebrates Civil War, without slaves - U.S. news - The New York Times - msnbc.com

    I don't think it's a big deal but, how can you "celebrate" the "Civil War" without mentioning one of it's main causes?
    I find it peculiar to celebrate a war, period. Very strange.

    Let's have a celebration to mark the start of WWII. Makes as much sense.

    Honor the fallen? That I can understand. Commemorate the South's attempt at sovereignty? I can understand that. But celebrate the Civil War? How weird.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #4
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,488

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I find it peculiar to celebrate a war, period. Very strange.

    Let's have a celebration to mark the start of WWII. Makes as much sense.

    Honor the fallen? That I can understand. Commemorate the South's attempt at sovereignty? I can understand that. But celebrate the Civil War? How weird.
    I think they are celebrating (or at least they say) the actual secession of the 11 states. Like it is more about states rights.

    Like I said how can you celebrate secession during the civil war with know mention of one of it's main causes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #5
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    I can see celebrating states rights, but not a war. No one celebrates war. Celebrate the bravery of soldiers, yes.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I think they are celebrating (or at least they say) the actual secession of the 11 states. Like it is more about states rights.

    Like I said how can you celebrate secession during the civil war with know mention of one of it's main causes.
    Easy. Don't mention it. Just dance, get drunk, have fun. I get the feeling that no one that is going to be at the "celebration" is really going to care what the celebration is really about.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,936

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I think they are celebrating (or at least they say) the actual secession of the 11 states. Like it is more about states rights.

    Like I said how can you celebrate secession during the civil war with know mention of one of it's main causes.
    Pretty simple.

    Its the same way we celebrate the independence of our country without mentioning the wholesale slaughter and near genocide of the natives in this land.

    When you look back to study and learn from history you acknowledge and take to heart the mistakes history had. However, when you look back to celebrate history you focus on the good and worth while. History teaches us many things...both mistakes and virtues...and there's no reason that in every look back at history one must focus on all issues of it.

  8. #8
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,488

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Pretty simple.

    Its the same way we celebrate the independence of our country without mentioning the wholesale slaughter and near genocide of the natives in this land.
    Don't agree. We celebrate our Independence from England. The native Americans were also not a cause of the rebellion.

    It would be like the Germans celebrating the rise of Hitler, without recognizing the Holocaust.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    When you look back to study and learn from history you acknowledge and take to heart the mistakes history had. However, when you look back to celebrate history you focus on the good and worth while. History teaches us many things...both mistakes and virtues...and there's no reason that in every look back at history one must focus on all issues of it.
    If you do not focus on the bad parts as well, you will be doomed to repeat it.

    I think this is sending the wrong message.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-30-10 at 09:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    This is like the Buffalo Bills celebrating their past Super Bowl performances.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,936

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Don't agree. We celebrate our Independence from England. The native Americans were also not a cause of the rebellion.
    We celebrate the founding of our country, a founding that could not have happened if we had not slaughtered and displaced the native people.

    It would be like the Germans celebrating the rise of Hitler, without recognizing the Holocaust.
    Godwin'ed in 8 posts. Woot.

    If you do not focus on the bad parts as well, you will be doomed to repeat it.
    So we're doomed to wipe out indiginous people because we don't continually focus on our treatment of the indians anytime we talk about history?

    You act as if talk of Slavery never takes place in the south. It does. I grew up in the south, I remember routinely hearing about the horrors of slavery, how bad it was, how wrong it was, etc. Its not like its just not present. However, everytime you look back on history you do not have to focus on the bad at all times.

    When we celebrate or talk about American History we don't focus on the fact the country as a whole was made on the back of slaves. We don't focus on our slaughter and displacement of native Americans. We don't focus on our internment of Japanese, Italian, and German people when talking about and celebrating our victory or our soldiers of WWII. And on and on. Simply because we don't focus on those things EVERY TIME we talk about or celebrate a facet of history that took place around them doesn't mean those things aren't brought up, taught, or learned from.

    I think this is sending the wrong message.
    To be honest, the purpose of the message isn't meant for you and I dare say that many of those celebrating it don't really care what message you're getting from it based on your own biases and preconceptions of what those people think or feel. I'm pretty sure their celebration is meant in large part of those that are doing the celebrating, and for them the message is pretty clear. Living in the south my whole life I know many southerners who feel they have "southern pride" or embody what it is to be a "southerner". I can't say I've ever met one that has stated they thought slavery was great, that they want to bring slavery back, or that slavery was perfectly okay.

    The only people who seem to be getting that "message" from those type of people seem to be the ones who want to find "code words" or act as mind readers so as to tell those people what they're REALLY saying or what they're REALLY meaning.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •