Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 229

Thread: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

  1. #31
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Southerners celebrating the time they rebelled so that they could keep slavery going a little longer? Well color me shocked.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-30-10 at 02:19 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #32
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,287
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Southerners celebrating the time they rebelled so that they could keep slavery going a little longer? Well color me shocked.
    As funny as I found that, twas a bit below the belt lol

  3. #33
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Has nothing to do with my statements. I used to dress up as a rebel solider for civil war re-enactments, they have nothing to do with this.

    As far as the North recognizing some, I never said they didn't. The South however was the main culprit.
    Yes it does, because it is in fact the same act. Here you have some people celebrating secession and you're jumping up and down screaming racism. They're honoring the history of the Civil War meaning they are celebrating the use of slavery in the South prior to. They are exalting the practice! This is in essence your argument. It's the same for those military history nerds who like to dress up and reenact wars. You can say the same damned things. But it seems that you won't. They're celebrating the war, they're upholding whatever values were expressed by the nation whose military uniform the reenactor is currently wearing. Oh this and that, blah blah blah.

    You see in the end, it's a very stupid argument. You won't apply it to one side even though it fits pretty much with the case in which you are willing to apply it in. And a man thinks this is because you look favorably perhaps on one hobby such as historical war reenactment, but poorly on a group of people who wanted to throw a secession party. So given the personal bias, you apply your flawed logic in one case, but not the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I am not all that concerned whether you buy it or not to be honest. I have already made my case.
    And a very poor case it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That is a typical libertarian view so I am not surprised. What they are doing has an undertone you chose to ignore.
    Not jumping to conclusions? Yeah, I suppose that is a typical libertarian view. You want to pretend there's an undertone; that's fine. People who look to make the slightest thing into political fodder will often pretend things exist which don't.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    White Southerners are simply celebrating their identity in the era of identity politics. If it's ok to celebrate St. Pattie's Day, Cinco de Mayo, Juneteenth, it's ok to celebrate Seccession Day. No big deal. America is not one country. It is many countries.

  5. #35
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    01-12-11 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    37

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    White Southerners are simply celebrating their identity in the era of identity politics. If it's ok to celebrate St. Pattie's Day, Cinco de Mayo, Juneteenth, it's ok to celebrate Seccession Day. No big deal. America is not one country. It is many countries.
    No, its actually just one country.

    I have never understood the concept Southern pride, which I grew up around. I don't see anything the South, as a seperate region, has done or stood for that warrants respect and plenty that we should be ashamed of.

  6. #36
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,621

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack19 View Post
    No, its actually just one country.

    I have never understood the concept Southern pride, which I grew up around. I don't see anything the South, as a seperate region, has done or stood for that warrants respect and plenty that we should be ashamed of.
    self loathing and guilt is common in the left from what I have seen



  7. #37
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And really we get to the heart of it. Evil horrible racists hate the black people. Shocking, I couldn't have guessed that was really at the heart of the complaint and it was all based on stereotyping people.
    To ignore the fact that racism played a major role, if not THE major role, in the Civil war is glossing over the truth. You hear many talking about it being over "states rights", while failing to mention the root cause of the Civil War - Slavery. The South supported slavery, while the North did not, and wanted to end that barbarian practice. The South treated human beings as property, and slave owners had a right to subject slaves to the whip, and even murder them, if they so desired. The heart of the matter is that slaves were not considered by Southerners to be human beings, but property, that the owners had the right to do what they wished with, much like a mule or a horse. The Civil War came about because forces in the North were working towards eventually banning slavery. States rights was a euphemism that really meant the right for some states to treat human beings as property, and nothing else.

    Don't buy what I am saying? Then read this from the experts on what the Civil War was about. These experts knew the issue, as they saw it, perfectly, and put it all on paper, when the various Southern states issued their declarations of secession. Here is an excerpt from Mississippi's declaration of secession:

    You can read the rest of the declaration, each sickening and disgusting sentence, at the link. This was not the spirit of States Rights. This was the spirit of monsters like Hitler and Pol Pot.

    Never forget, and never give the memory of the Confederacy any chance whatsoever at legitimacy, for the Confederacy never was legitimate, not in the eyes of God, nor according to anything that could be considered, even remotely, as common decency.
    Last edited by danarhea; 12-01-10 at 12:01 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #38
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    To ignore the fact that racism played a major role, if not THE major role, in the Civil war is glossing over the truth. You hear many talking about it being over "states rights", while failing to mention the root cause of the Civil War - Slavery. The South supported slavery, while the North did not, and wanted to end that barbarian practice. The South treated human beings as property, and slave owners had a right to subject slaves to the whip, and even murder them, if they so desired. The heart of the matter is that slaves were not considered by Southerners to be human beings, but property, that the owners had the right to do what they wished with, much like a mule or a horse. The Civil War came about because forces in the North were working towards eventually banning slavery. States rights was a euphemism that really meant the right for some states to treat human beings as property, and nothing else.

    Don't buy what I am saying? Then read this from the experts on what the Civil War was about. These experts knew the issue, as they saw it, perfectly, and put it all on paper, when the various Southern states issued their declarations of secession. Here is an excerpt from Mississippi's declaration of secession:



    You can read the rest of the declaration, each sickening and disgusting sentence, at the link. This was not the spirit of States Rights. This was the spirit of monsters like Hitler and Pol Pot.

    Never forget, and never give the memory of the Confederacy a chance at legitimacy, for the Confederacy never was.
    Stop it.... stop it... revisionists don't really care how many times you point out that all 4 declarations of secession that exist put slavery as their central reason. It doesn't matter that the President of the Confederation put slavery as the central reason for secession. It doesn't matter that the South's subsequent sociological history shows there was an immediate backlash against slaves freed by the war. It doesn't matter that 100 years after slavery was over, the South as a region was still trying to implement laws which restricted the rights of blacks. None of that matters. It was all about states rights.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-01-10 at 12:00 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,981

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    The core of the Civil War was about slavery. The states tried to leave the Union because slavery was going to be made illegal. The South didn't want to comply, so they rebelled in the name of "states' rights." The states' rights they wanted to defend was the right of a state to enslave others.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #40
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,621

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    NO doubt that slavery was a main reason for the rebels doing what they did but did the average Union soldier channel John Brown?



Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •