Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 229

Thread: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

  1. #151
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,424

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Nope, not mixed with Black. Black America is fine. But it is a different version of America with it's own unique culture. That culture isn't mine. America is many different countries. Some of those countries don't get along.

    Since Black culture is not mine, there is no reason for me to care about it.

    Actually, I don't think much of this generation of white people. They are pathetically weak. Their fate in America is to become livestock for others.

    While all individuals may be equal, all cultures are not. Some cultures elevate the ideals of education, family cohesion, etc. That's why most East Asian cultures are superior to White American culture and Black American culture.

    Once I was all about American unity. I can remember cheering Floyd Patterson when he fought Ingmar Johanssen. My father was for the white European because he was white. I was for the Black American because he was American. I believed in unity.

    Unity was a part of the past. It will never return. So each group has it's right to it's own identity.
    WTF??? You are mixing up culture with race and nationalism.

    No wonder your posts are making my head hurt.

    This also does not back up your statement in any way and is a completely different argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #152
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    WTF??? You are mixing up culture with race and nationalism.

    No wonder your posts are making my head hurt.

    This also does not back up your statement in any way and is a completely different argument.
    America is divided by race, culture and identity. There is no single American community. There are more Americas than you can shake a stick at. America will only become more divided with the passage of time. I think it's called Balkanization.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,404

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    They were here hundreds to thousands of years before anyone else. What a senseless argument on your part.
    It's not senseless, it's stating that there were no native species of human on the American continents. Your comment was "Every white person in this country came from someplace else. Just like everyone else except the Native Americans." I was just correcting it, because the Native Americans also came from someplace else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It's not under "PC" attack, it is under he did not discover America attack. Columbus and his three ships found what is now the Bahamas. Since he believed he was approaching India, he called the Islands he found "The Indies" and their inhabitants Indians. He then found Cuba and what (thanks to his error) are now called the West Indies. In later voyages he reached the mouth of the Orinoco River, in what is now called northern Venezuela, but still didn't realise that he was on the edge of a new continent.

    Of course, people had already been living in the Americas for hundreds, if not thousands of years before Columbus and his successors went there, so "discover" isn't exactly the road. However, they were certainly the first Europeans in that part of the world, unless you count the Nordic settlers who tried and failed to establish a colony in Greenland in the Middle Ages.
    Yeah, we all know the story. It doesn't take away from the accomplishment of the time. He certainly did think he reached India because at the time there was no knowledge of other continents. He found it though, and in such a way that others could get there as well and start colonization of a new continent. There is worth in the accomplishment. And it is under PC attack, that's plain and measured reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So they found the black lost tribe of the Irish?
    What's wrong with the Irish? BTW, they have traditionally been well repressed throughout history. But no, I of course was not saying that and anyone of any amount of intellect would know that to be true. St. Patrick's Day was mostly a religious day (still is in Ireland). Currently in America, it's a drinking holiday. That's it. There's nothing "white" about it. In fact, you have to wear green.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Wrong...

    Washington's Birthday is the official name designated to what many of us know as President's Day. During the month of February the birthday of two of our greatest President's takes place. Both George Washington who was born on Feb. 22nd and Abraham Lincoln born on Feb. 12th. - Presidents Day Federal Holiday

    Wait! The Thirteen colonies who were all white Europeans fought the English for Independence somehow is other than a "white" holiday?

    You need to get back on topic and stop attacking my posts just for some stupid vendetta, and making really lame arguments.
    It was initially Washington's Birthday. It was later changed to President's Day and the date moved to be in between Washington and Lincoln to celebrate both (which President helped free the slaves again....). Now it's a day for sales and picnics. That's pretty much it. 4th of July is a day of cookouts, fireworks, and PBR. Nothing white about any of that. Nothing that you listed is a "white" holiday. None of the festivities revolve around saying "Hey...you know who's great? White people!". Or "White history" or "White power" or any of that. Quit being such a racist about this crap. All it does is make things more divisive. Those holidays are for everyone and do not exalt one race over another.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #154
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,404

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    They aren't, they are completely ignoring it. That is the problem. It is nothing to celebrate. You obviously are confused as I never said what you are spouting.
    Yes you did. But you've just answered your own question. How does one celebrate the secession without acknowledging the slavery....you ignore the slavery obviously. Jesus, this shouldn't be a tough topic. They aren't talking about slavery, but rather the ability of the States to leave the Republic. The cause for having done so before is inconsequential, what counts is the ability to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No you can't.

    Already have given my rebuttals to this. No need to go through it again.
    Yeah, but it's complete crap because obviously you can because these people did.

    I don't know, it reminds me of that episode of Aqua Team Hunger Force with the broodwich sandwich which cannot be taken apart. Shake eats the sandwich, but does not go to the other world because he picked off the sundried tomatoes. The voice says something like "The broodwich sandwich cannot be taken apart" to which Shake responds "Well obviously it can because that's what I did". You can sit there all day spouting that one cannot celebrate the secession of the south without including slavery, but reality says differently.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #155
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,761

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    This reminds me of every time the tea party gets together and liberals scream "Look, it's just a bunch of white people!"

    How many black and Hispanic people attend political rallies unless they're specifically black or Hispanic events?

  6. #156
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,424

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's not senseless, it's stating that there were no native species of human on the American continents. Your comment was "Every white person in this country came from someplace else. Just like everyone else except the Native Americans." I was just correcting it, because the Native Americans also came from someplace else.
    That is again a stupid argument. They where here first, so they claim native status as they had been here a long time. It's like trying to say because humans come originally from Africa, no native people exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, we all know the story. It doesn't take away from the accomplishment of the time. He certainly did think he reached India because at the time there was no knowledge of other continents. He found it though, and in such a way that others could get there as well and start colonization of a new continent. There is worth in the accomplishment. And it is under PC attack, that's plain and measured reality.
    His accomplishment is not worthy of an American holiday, period.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    What's wrong with the Irish? BTW, they have traditionally been well repressed throughout history. But no, I of course was not saying that and anyone of any amount of intellect would know that to be true. St. Patrick's Day was mostly a religious day (still is in Ireland). Currently in America, it's a drinking holiday. That's it. There's nothing "white" about it. In fact, you have to wear green.
    Dude, that has nothing to do with my argument, anything I have remotely said and is at it's base just stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It was initially Washington's Birthday. It was later changed to President's Day and the date moved to be in between Washington and Lincoln to celebrate both (which President helped free the slaves again....). Now it's a day for sales and picnics. That's pretty much it. 4th of July is a day of cookouts, fireworks, and PBR. Nothing white about any of that. Nothing that you listed is a "white" holiday. None of the festivities revolve around saying "Hey...you know who's great? White people!". Or "White history" or "White power" or any of that. Quit being such a racist about this crap. All it does is make things more divisive. Those holidays are for everyone and do not exalt one race over another.
    This has nothing to do with why the holiday is celebrated it has to do with what it represents.

    As for the "racist" comment. Kiss my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #157
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,424

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes you did. But you've just answered your own question. How does one celebrate the secession without acknowledging the slavery....you ignore the slavery obviously. Jesus, this shouldn't be a tough topic. They aren't talking about slavery, but rather the ability of the States to leave the Republic. The cause for having done so before is inconsequential, what counts is the ability to do it.
    I said it has racist undertones, I never said anything about it being a celebration about slavery in any way shape or form.

    Get a clue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, but it's complete crap because obviously you can because these people did.
    Not really, it is a big issue. So no.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't know, it reminds me of that episode of Aqua Team Hunger Force with the broodwich sandwich which cannot be taken apart. Shake eats the sandwich, but does not go to the other world because he picked off the sundried tomatoes. The voice says something like "The broodwich sandwich cannot be taken apart" to which Shake responds "Well obviously it can because that's what I did". You can sit there all day spouting that one cannot celebrate the secession of the south without including slavery, but reality says differently.
    Yes reality says different, because we know what it really stands for.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 12-02-10 at 12:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #158
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,404

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That is again a stupid argument. They where here first, so they claim native status as they had been here a long time. It's like trying to say because humans come originally from Africa, no native people exist.
    The human race did originate from Africa. Again, what I said is technically true. But since this is a time scale thing, how does it work? If we're here longer than the Indians were here for, does that make us native? Or is it the first group to get there claims it for all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    His accomplishment is not worthy of an American holiday, period.
    Why not? It's how we all got here. Well I mean, if not him someone else would eventually have done it; but the case was that Columbus did it. And because of it, we were able to come here, and ultimately make our own nation free from Europe. So why is it not worthy of an American holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Dude, that has nothing to do with my argument, anything I have remotely said and is at it's base just stupid.
    It has everything to do with your argument. You want to keep calling these white people holidays, but they're clearly not. St. Patrick's Day is not. Nor is President's Day, or Columbus Day, or the 4th of July. None of these are "white people" holidays. None of it innately runs around our race. It's all based on a performance, an action that was noteworthy. Race is inconsequential to any of these holidays.


    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This has nothing to do with why the holiday is celebrated it has to do with what it represents.
    Yes it does. You want to claim that these are somehow white people holidays because the origins happened to be European. It's stupid. It's like saying Christmas is a "white" holiday. None of the holidays you listed have anything to do with race, even though you want to make that claim. None of it revolves around being white.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    As for the "racist" comment. Kiss my ass.
    I don't appease racists.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #159
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,404

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I said it has racist undertones, I never said anything about it being a celebration about slavery in any way shape or form.

    Get a clue.
    I know you want to claim racist undertones; but those racist undertones don't actually exist. What these people want to raise awareness of is the ability of the States to secede from the Union. Nothing more, nothing less. The South did it before. And they did so because slavery was an important issue at the time. But the reason for them wanted to secede and for others in the present or future to do so are not going to be the same. Thus it is not the cause of the secession which is important. It is the ability of the States to secede which is important.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Not really, it is a big issue. So no.
    This is only a big issue because you want to make it a big issue. Because you want to jump up and down and yell racism and slavery and this and that. You're the one applying all the racist meaning. Obviously these people have been able to make a secession party which celebrates the ability of the States to secede from the Republic without referring to slavery. You're just seemingly pissed off because they didn't mention slavery.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes reality says different, because we know what it really stands for.
    Secession does not stand for racism. No matter how much you want to make it so. None of your arguments logically uphold your conclusion and your continual efforts to bring race into this is nothing short of a deflection. These people have very clearly celebrated the State's ability to secede without referring to racism. So your ultimate question of how it is done has been answered by actions in the real world. That's all there is to it. Measured reality is measured reality.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #160
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    35,424

    Re: South celebrates Civil War, largely without slaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't appease racists.
    Since you have resorted to adhoms I guess we are done.

    Racist
    –noun
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.


    Well it looks like you are wrong again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •