Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    No one ever provided the detail on which they based the news story that fed employees make two or three times as much as private counterparts. Does anyone really believe that such a claim could possibly be true? Two to three times, and we're only finding out now? And no one questions it, they just run around saying govt employees make galactically large salaries. Civil servant pay is a highly managed systems, not like California city councilmen.
    I find that odd as well. I'm sure I saw a piece where they said private employees in the same type position as federal employees make 2-3 times as much.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City View Post
    So you think he should stick to his own ideas and not try to implement some things Republicans have suggested?
    Yes, by saying I agree with the position, that's precisely what I meant

    At least TRY to pay attention.

  3. #23
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,984

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    As a retired federal employee I support this proposal. Hopefully Congress just won't spend away the savings and apply the reduction to the deficit.

    I do challenge the broad general statement that feds get up to three times that of the private sector. For the most part its an apple to orange comparison, except for some specific jobs, especially in the natural resource area. How many private companies manage forests for multiple use? How many private companies manage parks like Yellowstone?
    Even when comparing one State salaries to another for the same type job there is a wide spread of pay. IMO, State jobs come closer to matching the types of jobs the feds carryout.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  4. #24
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers | Reuters



    Well, it's a start. It's a little dent in the deficit, but it's something. Maybe next we can talk about something significant? :P

    I wish they'd put in an exemption for air traffic control, though. I'm writing a research paper on the subject right now, and the staffing situation there is already critical. The FAA can't afford to push any more experienced controllers out the door.
    I do not know if this has been said before but hopefully this also includes the politicians pay too.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #25
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Excuse me, but we're talking about federal government workers, not private sector factory workers. How do unions fit into a pay freeze on federal employees?

    Regardless, as usual, no matter what this man does the pundits will never be satisfied.
    Government workers are generally unionized. I know that shipyard workers, at the Navy SYs are all in a union and they are government workers (not talking about contractors). It is quite possible that the unions will get upset with this.

    I am all for it. Now they need to work a little faster and harder on getting a lot more things done like this to change how much the government spends, inefficient spending, and wasteful spending.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #26
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Government workers are generally unionized. I know that shipyard workers, at the Navy SYs are all in a union and they are government workers (not talking about contractors). It is quite possible that the unions will get upset with this.

    I am all for it. Now they need to work a little faster and harder on getting a lot more things done like this to change how much the government spends, inefficient spending, and wasteful spending.
    Keeping in mind that as a government employee...I'm not opposed to it...can you tell me why you think it is a good idea and something you are 'all for'? Without going into details...I am a pretty well compensated GS employee and can afford the inflation freeze...but many of the people in the GS world are GS-5's, 7's, and work pretty damn hard. Why is it a good idea for them to shoulder the burden of congress and their irresponsible spending? Why does a secretary, a line mechanic, a plumber, or an electrician deserve this any more than say...you.

    Im really NOT being rude or insulting...I promise. Just curious...

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    I'm a federal worker and I have no issue with this. Like Vance though, I think its worthless and frankly idiotic if they do this yet don't actually put forward a budget that actually reduces SPENDING. I will HAPPILY take a sacrifice as a federal employee and take a pay freeze if it means that money is going to pay down the deficite or is going back into tax payers pockets due to less government spending enabling tax breaks. However, if its just being syphoned off so that we can continue to push health care or shove cap and trade down peoples throats or buy automakers then suddenly my desire to "sarcifice" is a lot less. I'm not willing to "sacrifice" simply to let the people in Washington continue their bad habits.

  8. #28
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Keeping in mind that as a government employee...I'm not opposed to it...can you tell me why you think it is a good idea and something you are 'all for'? Without going into details...I am a pretty well compensated GS employee and can afford the inflation freeze...but many of the people in the GS world are GS-5's, 7's, and work pretty damn hard. Why is it a good idea for them to shoulder the burden of congress and their irresponsible spending? Why does a secretary, a line mechanic, a plumber, or an electrician deserve this any more than say...you.

    Im really NOT being rude or insulting...I promise. Just curious...
    I'm not saying that they don't deserve it any more than me. In fact, I believe that it wouldn't be that bad for military members (my husband is active Navy and I am Navy reserve, our only 2 sources of income at the moment) to not be given a pay raise. I would gladly burden a little more if it meant the government would use the money to actually help pay our national debt and better itself. I was saying last year or the year before when the military got a small pay raise that people shouldn't be complaining about this.

    And, I have worked with shipyard workers while on active duty who were GS-8s-11s, and they were paid a lot better than I was. Plus, many of them got overtime and bonuses, things that military doesn't get.

    With this, though, I pray and hope that in doing these pay raise freezes, that they are actually going to try to fix government spending and not just use that money on something else.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #29
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'm not saying that they don't deserve it any more than me. In fact, I believe that it wouldn't be that bad for military members (my husband is active Navy and I am Navy reserve, our only 2 sources of income at the moment) to not be given a pay raise. I would gladly burden a little more if it meant the government would use the money to actually help pay our national debt and better itself. I was saying last year or the year before when the military got a small pay raise that people shouldn't be complaining about this.

    And, I have worked with shipyard workers while on active duty who were GS-8s-11s, and they were paid a lot better than I was. Plus, many of them got overtime and bonuses, things that military doesn't get.

    With this, though, I pray and hope that in doing these pay raise freezes, that they are actually going to try to fix government spending and not just use that money on something else.
    Amen to that!!!

  10. #30
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Obama proposes pay freeze for federal workers

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I wish you could show me what jobs those are.
    .................................................. ..........Government Private Difference
    Computer, information systems manager....$122,020.....$115,705 ...$6,315
    Crane, tower operator...............................$54,900.... ...$44,044 .....$10,856
    Graphic designer ......................................$70,820..... ..$46,565......$24,255
    Librarian .................................................. $76,110.......$63,284......$12,826
    Public relations manager ............................$132,410 ....$88,241 .....$44,169

    I may have the percentages wrong on these specific jobs but these salary figures do not include the value of health, pension and other benefits, which averaged $40,785 per federal employee in 2008 vs. $9,882 per private worker, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, which also needs to be factored in, because we are talking about cost savings.

    I hope all this tells you something of interest.

    Average pay $30000 over private sector. By Dennis Cauchon ... Federal employees making salaries of $100000 or more jumped from 14% to 19%.

    USATODAY.com
    Last edited by Councilman; 11-29-10 at 06:14 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •