Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 202

Thread: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    If they were more accountable there'd be nothing to leak. Problem solved at the root.

  2. #12
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,571

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    If they were more accountable there'd be nothing to leak. Problem solved at the root.
    not true, there are legitimate types of information to keep secret



  3. #13
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    Just remember neighbor to the North, when America is weaken you are at risk yourself without our blanket of protection. Without America, whom will Canada lean on? Yourselves.......................LOL
    I am pretty sure this will not pose any threat to our defense budget. In fact, if this impairs our relations with countries overseas and causes us to pull back that would actually be in Canada's national security interests.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I wonder if an interesting discussion would be should the US government put an end to wikileaks out of national security?
    Interestingly Wikileaks leaked a CIA document on what the CIA could do to bring down Wikileaks and this was before any of the recent leaks.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so if some disgruntled member of the military or government leaked them classified information that was then published causing some of our people to get killed what would you think? I wouldn't lose too much sleep if someone who lost a brother or son because of that took the guy out
    I think the chances of people getting killed in this case and the previous cases is exceedingly low, unless someone kills a person due to outrage over the revelations.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Yes... how this excuses their misconduct and scandal for what does get leaked is beyond me.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    No. I admit that this is actually the first time that I have heard of wikileaks but if what I have read of them over the past hour is true then I fully support them. They seem to be intent on protecting those that may come to physical harm in both the war efforts and from prosecution so I have no problem with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so if some disgruntled member of the military or government leaked them classified information that was then published causing some of our people to get killed what would you think? I wouldn't lose too much sleep if someone who lost a brother or son because of that took the guy out
    Perhaps you didn't read the part that I wrote that I now bold to bring to your attention? Since they seem intent on it I see no reason to worry about it. And if it does happen...well to be brutally honest...collateral damage. So long as it doesn't become something that happens regularly I'm willing to let it go.

    I'm tired of our government hiding anything and everything because they want to line their pockets. If this is what it takes to start making them honest, then so be it.

    I understand that there are some things that should be kept out of the public for short periods of time (when it comes to troops and troop movements) or even long term (when it comes to technological advantages for our military). However there is a lot that our government has been doing of late that should have been made available to the public AS they were talking about it. Example: Health care reform should have not had closed doors....AT ALL. Diplomatic talks should also be made available to the general public as we would have to abide by anything that was agreed upon.

    And many more things.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #16
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    CBC News - Canada - U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks



    This is big news in the international relations department and could have widespread ramifications throughout the entire world. On the other hand, if some seedy or unsavoury business has gone down, I support the public knowing about it. Keeping our political leaders accountable is important to democracy, especially now when so many people have had cynical suspicions about the motives of their governments.

    The dirty laundry should be aired so that we can clean house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    No doubt there will probably be high levels of corruption.
    I await the release with anticipation.
    What a shocker that people who aren't Americans are giddy at the prospect of something that could embarrass America and undermine our security.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What a shocker that people who aren't Americans are giddy at the prospect of something that could embarrass America and undermine our security.
    Yeah because I really love the idea that defense could be hurt and that people could be put at risk. I just love it when people die!

    Enough with the hyperbole already. The thing that put those people at risk in the first place was the corrupt behaviours that Wikileaks will probably reveal. The fact that someone is revealing those behaviours against the will of the U.S. government shouldn't sidestep the value of the information. Sorry you can't see that.

    Wikileaks didn't embarrass America. Your own people did that.

  8. #18
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yeah because I really love the idea that defense could be hurt and that people could be put at risk. I just love it when people die!
    It's much easier for people like you to justify your feelings when you pretend that things like that aren't the natural outgrowth of things like this.

    Enough with the hyperbole already. The thing that put those people at risk in the first place was the corrupt behaviours that Wikileaks will probably reveal. The fact that someone is revealing those behaviours against the will of the U.S. government shouldn't sidestep the value of the information. Sorry you can't see that.
    That's a pretty naive and ignorant statement.

    Believe it or not, every country (including your own perfect paradise) says and does things behind the scenes that they don't want made public. They do this because it's how the world works. Should those words and actions become public, it would have a negative impact on that country's standing in the world and on the way in which other countries are willing to cooperate. To any reasonable person, that would be considered a bad and dangerous thing.

    I know it's easy to sit there and tut tut at America for the fact that it operates like every other country on the planet, but try to think these things through before you climb on your high horse and exult in our misfortune.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #19
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,637

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Indeed. Secrecy is a valuable trade of policy-makers. It aided both the Russians and the Americans cool down the Cuban Missile Crisis and come to sensible solutions to ease tensions between the two nations. If word leaked so soon, it would have been a disaster for the US to look like it was giving away turf.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-26-10 at 01:32 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: U.S. nervously awaits next WikiLeaks

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    It's much easier for people like you to justify your feelings when you pretend that things like that aren't the natural outgrowth of things like this.
    And that's what people like you say whenever you try to maintain the pretense that you know how I think and feel about something, even after I have repeatedly told you how I think and feel.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Believe it or not, every country (including your own perfect paradise) says and does things behind the scenes that they don't want made public. They do this because it's how the world works. Should those words and actions become public, it would have a negative impact on that country's standing in the world and on the way in which other countries are willing to cooperate. To any reasonable person, that would be considered a bad and dangerous thing.
    So on one hand you say that this is how the world works; on the other hand, you say that we shouldn't know about it because it could be damaging to a country's reputation? Sounds like you think our governments should be able to have their cake and eat it too -- speaking of ignorant and naive. I think if the public had awareness into "how the world works", they would be calling up every politician to have the system changed. The fact that our governments operate parallel but hidden from the public and conduct themselves in corrupt matters that run counter to publicly stated policy should be of grave concern to everyone.

    You say it's just the way it works; well, it works that way because we are prevented from knowing about it. Knowledge is power. That is how change happens. If they are doing seedy business behind our backs but with our money and political capitol, then they deserve every bit of exposure they are getting.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I know it's easy to sit there and tut tut at America for the fact that it operates like every other country on the planet, but try to think these things through before you climb on your high horse and exult in our misfortune.
    Put aside your pride for a minute and maybe you would see that this is not about anti-Americanism. I am well aware that the Canadian government is and has been involved in a lot of shady business too. We have probably the worst offenders in power right now in Canada. Just because I am pointing out that the U.S. deserves to be exposed, don't think for a minute that that goes only for the U.S. I think any country engaged in acts of corruption that is supposed to be answerable to its people deserves every bit of negative exposure it gets IF it is engaged in such business.

    I find it very telling that you have instead decided to shift your concern to people like me or toward blaming Wikileaks themselves, as opposed to looking at the information with an unbiased mind. Do you not care what your government does? If there are diplomatic problems over this or new security concerns, they are the fault of your own government and no one else. All countries may behave the same but all countries who get exposed had it coming.
    Last edited by Orion; 11-26-10 at 01:41 AM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •