Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 351

Thread: DeLay convicted of money laundering charges

  1. #121
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: DeLay convicted of money laundering charges

    The best you can do is to repeat the same thing over and over and over.

    You've proven completely unable to say anything of substance on the subject of Tom DeLay.

    I'm not the one having a problem dealing with it.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #122
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DeLay convicted of money laundering charges

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    There are a couple of things about this subject that bother me:
    • The propensity of left-leaning posters for celebration
    • The propensity of right-leaning posters for obfuscation and finger-pointing
    By no means am I saying that all posters of any particular lean are behaving in a certain way. I'm just saying I noticed patterns that bothered me.

    What bothers me the most is the fact that DeLay is facing a maximum sentence of 99 + 20 years. That's obscene.

    Criminal sanctions should in some way be proportional to actual harm done. Failing a clear finding on that front, a sentence of not more than 3 years is more than reasonable.
    I favor life in prison with no parole for any congressman who get's caught in a felony. That has nothing to do with DeLay or his party, I just hate corruption in public officials.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #123
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: DeLay convicted of money laundering charges

    Moderator's Warning:
    DeLay convicted of money laundering chargesThis thread needs to get back on track. I would appreciate everyone going back to the original topic and discussing/debating that. Prof, please adhere to this request. Thank you.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  4. #124
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: DeLay convicted of money laundering charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I favor life in prison with no parole for any congressman who get's caught in a felony. That has nothing to do with DeLay or his party, I just hate corruption in public officials.
    There is a growing number of felony offenses on the books which:
    • Are too vaguely defined
    • Essentially function ex post facto because of how an increasingly cooperative judiciary interprets them to favor "innovative" prosecutors
    • Can be broken without any criminal intent whatsoever


    Until that gets fixed, I'm not a fan of locking up anybody for life over "a felony," not even our Congresscritters.
    Last edited by TacticalEvilDan; 11-24-10 at 11:53 PM.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #125
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,524

    Re: DeLay convicted of money laundering charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I favor life in prison with no parole for any congressman who get's caught in a felony. That has nothing to do with DeLay or his party, I just hate corruption in public officials.
    So, are you content with Rangel getting what amounts to an ass chewing for evading hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Ex-House Leader DeLay Found Guilty in Texas Case

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And this affects you how? I'll bet you haven't a clue what this case was all about but because it is DeLay you pile on. there will be an appeal and a reversal based upon legal reviews in Houston. I am sure that will warrant another thread from you where you apologize. Right?
    Delay is the scum of the earth -- if teabaggers and far-righties really walked the talk then they should know he is the embodiment of all that is wrong with this country.

    But they're too busy trying to memorize fox news talking points and spew them back out every chance they get...

  7. #127
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Ex-House Leader DeLay Found Guilty in Texas Case

    He should share a cell with Rangel. Filthy corrupt politicians.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #128
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,524

    Re: Ex-House Leader DeLay Found Guilty in Texas Case

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Delay is the scum of the earth -- if teabaggers and far-righties really walked the talk then they should know he is the embodiment of all that is wrong with this country.

    But they're too busy trying to memorize fox news talking points and spew them back out every chance they get...
    Just like Rangel and Waters? What about Obama offering Sestak a job? That's a felony that carries 5 years. I bet you don't want to see The One go to the The Joint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #129
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,587

    Re: DeLay convicted of money laundering charges

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    There are a couple of things about this subject that bother me:
    • The propensity of left-leaning posters for celebration
    • The propensity of right-leaning posters for obfuscation and finger-pointing
    By no means am I saying that all posters of any particular lean are behaving in a certain way. I'm just saying I noticed patterns that bothered me.

    What bothers me the most is the fact that DeLay is facing a maximum sentence of 99 + 20 years. That's obscene.

    Criminal sanctions should in some way be proportional to actual harm done. Failing a clear finding on that front, a sentence of not more than 3 years is more than reasonable.
    What's wrong with celebrating? I remember when Ken Lay died and many people I respect were happy about it. I thought that was shameful. But in this case, you've got a guy who thought he was above the law, and that he was untouchable. For a jury of Texans to find him guilty is fantastic. I think that everybody who believes in America's justice system should celebrate. There are a lot of problems with our judicial branch, but this is a moment when we can all be happy that the process is, for the time being, working. That's a wonderful thing. I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I'm not celebrating his suffering, I'm celebrating justice.

    And Conservative's claim that this verdict won't stand because lawyers say it will be overturned -- so? Of course his lawyers say it will be overturned. What else would they say? DeLay will not be held accountable for his crimes. He will probably, at best, get a few years probation. But a symbolic victory would be one to savor.
    A working class hero is something to be

  10. #130
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: DeLay convicted of money laundering charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    What's wrong with celebrating? I remember when Ken Lay died and many people I respect were happy about it. I thought that was shameful. But in this case, you've got a guy who thought he was above the law, and that he was untouchable. For a jury of Texans to find him guilty is fantastic. I think that everybody who believes in America's justice system should celebrate. There are a lot of problems with our judicial branch, but this is a moment when we can all be happy that the process is, for the time being, working. That's a wonderful thing. I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I'm not celebrating his suffering, I'm celebrating justice.

    And Conservative's claim that this verdict won't stand because lawyers say it will be overturned -- so? Of course his lawyers say it will be overturned. What else would they say? DeLay will not be held accountable for his crimes. He will probably, at best, get a few years probation. But a symbolic victory would be one to savor.
    We have plenty of grave dancers here; just check some of the old post of Senator Kennedy’s death.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •