Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 529

Thread: North Korea reportedly fires at South

  1. #371
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    This isn't the ancient world where the armies meet on the battlefield with equal weapons and have only their numbers to largely determine a victor. I don't know why people resort to this. American technology and training is more than enough to handle North Korea. If it came to a ground war, half their military and virtually all their support systems would be destroyed before the average American troop crossed the border.
    You're still discounting the South Koreans. They have a technological advantage over the North Koreans, and they have almost as many men. Since we only have 28,500 troops in South Korea, we would fight a defensive war, trading time and space to inflict massive casulties on the North Koreans. They won't be able to sustain the losses, and then we push them back. But we still have less than 30,000 troops against over a million. The South Koreans would grind the North Koreans away with attrition, and we'd clean up whatever was left.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #372
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    "This is based on emotion and not based on facts. Read the "Post-American World." People seem to confuse what is happening before their very eyes. People alkso seem toforget that before this world "belonged" to American influence, it was led by a muliple of empirical influences. The single power of America was never going to last. The "rise of the rest" does not mean the decline of the U.S. What it means, as is already becoming evident around the world, is that instead of America bearing the burden of far too much, leadership will be more of a team effort. This also means that what ever economy affects will also become a matter for a powerfully influential team. With the Euro severly dissapointing Europeans and others and Russia merely pretending back to power, the U.S., China, India, and Brazil are becoming the team. But without an honest look at culture (as India has done and Brazil is doing), China will only go so far. What Americans need to stop doing is behaving as if China is out to get them and stop believing what Europeans have to say about their self-importance to global matters."

    A divided people cannot effectively compete with a united people. America is at war with itself. China is not.

  3. #373
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post


    You point at Viet Nam as an example of liberals not see any war through to completion. I was there ,we were told it was to stop the dominoes (commies) from rolling over SE Asia, starting with Vet Nam.

    Guess who was the President in charge when (Operation Frequent Wind.)When this picture was taken?

    If you chose Nixon,who campaigned on a promise of negotiations to end the Vietnam war, you win a trip up the Yellow Brick Road, the one west of Hue.




    Good for them for recognizing what a disaster the invasion of Iraq was on the cooked up evidence that shooter and company provided.


    If you feel the need to rehash this tired BS, start a thread. Are better yet, dig into the archives…I’m sure you can use your winger talking point” he voted for before he voted against “and come up with enough bull**** to keep you occupied until the new year.

    This thread is about North Korea shelling our ally, South Korea, not some winger talking points. Have a good day.
    You asked me and I told you.

    You have a good day too.
    Last edited by Grant; 11-27-10 at 03:25 PM.

  4. #374
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,016

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yes, this easy means to accomplish our political objectives was so evident in iraq and afghanistan [/s]

    only alzsheimers could explain forgetting that so soon
    I try not to concern myself with what men in suits, far from the battlefield, are incapable of doing. A military objective has nothing to do with a civilian's diplomatic mission. You see, military intervention means that civilains have already failed. But the tragedy comes when those same failures attempt to control the battlefield while the average citizen remains clueless and looks towards them to find a way to "win" (or escape) the war they started.

    Don't make the simple mistake of confusing the politicians chore with the military's mission. Confusing the two is exactly why Americans have found such great comfort with their heads up their assess. The military doesn't start wars. Civilians do. The military doesn't handicap itself in war. Civilians do. The military's job was to topple Hussein and the Tali-Ban. Done. Despite Washington's role to handicap the military at every turn, the military succeeded. It even managed to finally bring a victory in Iraq and it only took Washington to get the hell out of the way and out of our business in 2006. The American military cannot fail. It's Washington that always does.

    Political objectives are a civilian's affair to fail and they have failed miserably since the end of World War II. Like I stated earlier, ignorance is what forces people to blame the military for civilian failures. The military's mission would be to destroy the North Korean military. Whatever civilian social prescription comes out of Washington for what comes afterward will also come with impractical rules and demands while denying the military the very tools it needs to make them succeed. But blame will go to the miliitary, won't it? After all, no politician takes responsibility for his failures when they can blame a man in uniform. Of course, stealing credit from that samemilitary uniform is something we see often enough too, isn't it? "Support The Troop,".....when convenient.
    Last edited by MSgt; 11-27-10 at 06:52 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  5. #375
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post


    You point at Viet Nam as an example of liberals not see any war through to completion. I was there ,we were told it was to stop the dominoes (commies) from rolling over SE Asia, starting with Vet Nam.

    Guess who was the President in charge when (Operation Frequent Wind.)When this picture was taken?

    If you chose Nixon,who campaigned on a promise of negotiations to end the Vietnam war, you win a trip up the Yellow Brick Road, the one west of Hue.




    Good for them for recognizing what a disaster the invasion of Iraq was on the cooked up evidence that shooter and company provided.


    If you feel the need to rehash this tired BS, start a thread. Are better yet, dig into the archives…I’m sure you can use your winger talking point” he voted for before he voted against “and come up with enough bull**** to keep you occupied until the new year.

    This thread is about North Korea shelling our ally, South Korea, not some winger talking points. Have a good day.
    Care to guess what year that photo was taken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #376
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,016

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    You're still discounting the South Koreans. They have a technological advantage over the North Koreans, and they have almost as many men. Since we only have 28,500 troops in South Korea, we would fight a defensive war, trading time and space to inflict massive casulties on the North Koreans. They won't be able to sustain the losses, and then we push them back. But we still have less than 30,000 troops against over a million. The South Koreans would grind the North Koreans away with attrition, and we'd clean up whatever was left.
    I'm not discounting the South Koreans. 28,000 American troops would grow in the event of war. They will not sit on the Korean peninsula without the ability to agress properly. All of our forces in Okinawa are positioned for this encounter (they largely do not deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan). There would also be mass Marine deployments from the West Coast. Our numbers would grow towards 50,000. This is the doctrinal plan and keep in mind that I'm not even talking about Army numbers. And it happens to fit into the schedule, because I MEF (West coast) is being replaced with II MEF (East coast) in Afghanistan as we type.

    Everyone's got this idea that the military is "broken" because a few Army generals shot their mouths off and short changed their own branch a few years back. The Pentagon released reports declaring the state of equipment and it implied that we were on the verge of collapse. Well, it never happened, because this was never true. Iraq was years later brought to "victory" and our mission in Afghanistan is being pumped up this coming year to cap off our stay there.
    Last edited by MSgt; 11-27-10 at 07:04 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  7. #377
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    I'm not discounting the South Koreans. 28,000 American troops would grow in the event of war. They will not sit on the Korean peninsula without the ability to agress properly. All of our forces in Okinawa are positioned for this encounter (they largely do not deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan). There would also be mass Marine deployments from the West Coast. Our numbers would grow towards 50,000. This is the doctrinal plan and keep in mind that I'm not even talking about Army numbers. And it happens to fit into the schedule, because I MEF (West coast) is being replaced with II MEF (East coast) in Afghanistan as we type.

    Everyone's got this idea that the military is "broken" because a few Army generals shot their mouths off and short changed their own branch a few years back. The Pentagon released reports declaring the state of equipment and it implied that we were on the verge of collapse. Well, it never happened, because this was never true. Iraq was years later brought to "victory" and our mission in Afghanistan is being pumped up this coming year to cap off our stay there.
    While I agree the US Forces would be immensely powerful, until we can rally enough forces for a deliberate march north, the South Koreans are going to be fighting most of the battles. And its entirely possible they can beat the North Koreans would our assistance.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  8. #378
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    While I agree the US Forces would be immensely powerful, until we can rally enough forces for a deliberate march north, the South Koreans are going to be fighting most of the battles. And its entirely possible they can beat the North Koreans would our assistance.
    To top that off, the NK military with it million plus standing army can only maneuver so many through a couple of narrow passes. I believe the Spartans did this with the Persian army centuries ago.

  9. #379
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    To top that off, the NK military with it million plus standing army can only maneuver so many through a couple of narrow passes. I believe the Spartans did this with the Persian army centuries ago.
    Not to mention, their lines of supply would break down in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #380
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: North Korea reportedly fires at South

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Define we...
    The United States and the Soviet Union.

Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •