Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 419

Thread: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

  1. #291
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Just as I supported bush being in Afghanistan, yes. As I have said from day one, Afghanistan made made sense. Iraq didn't.

    And lying? As much as any politiican. I've said repeatedly, with both presidents, no president creates jobs or controls the economy. This is my viewer and I wasn't apologizing for Bush when I said during his presidency and it is not apologising for Obama now.

    Again, try to side step disagreement by calling it being an apologist. this means you don't have to deal with the actual view. your exaggeration is not good form.
    afghanistan makes no sense now.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Just as I supported bush being in Afghanistan, yes. As I have said from day one, Afghanistan made made sense. Iraq didn't.

    And lying? As much as any politiican. I've said repeatedly, with both presidents, no president creates jobs or controls the economy. This is my viewer and I wasn't apologizing for Bush when I said during his presidency and it is not apologising for Obama now.

    Again, try to side step disagreement by calling it being an apologist. this means you don't have to deal with the actual view. your exaggeration is not good form.
    Again Obama said keeping the tax cuts will create millions of jobs. Are you saying he is lying?

    Obama Says Tax Compromise Will Help Create Jobs - BusinessWeek

    President Barack Obama said the compromise tax plan he’s agree to with congressional Republicans will give businesses incentives to grow and hire and help create “millions of jobs.”

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dunedin, Florida
    Last Seen
    12-24-10 @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    209

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    afghanistan makes no sense now.
    What about the thought that if the Taliban succeed in Afghanistan, they then can combine with Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Pakistan to topple the Pakistani government, putting Pakistan's nuclear arsenal in the hands of these nutjobs ? Not to mention what happens to the poor women and girls of both countries, being under the guns of these looney misogynists.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dunedin, Florida
    Last Seen
    12-24-10 @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    209

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Again Obama said keeping the tax cuts will create millions of jobs. Are you saying he is lying?

    Obama Says Tax Compromise Will Help Create Jobs - BusinessWeek

    President Barack Obama said the compromise tax plan he’s agree to with congressional Republicans will give businesses incentives to grow and hire and help create “millions of jobs.”
    What's wrong with not extending the tax cuts for the rich, with an exception for small businessmen who meet specific criteria (hiring new employees, expanding, etc) ? Plus, taxes on employees and non-reinvesting businessmen with incomes over $250,000/year could be raised on a sliding scale. Those with incomes of over a Billion/year (yes there are some) could be taxed at 99%. So someone whose income is, for example, $ 1.5 Billion/year, would still rake in $ 15 Million/year. Not too many coal miners, cops, firefighters, troops in Afghanistan, etc, would feel too sorry for him with his cool $ 15 Million, you think ?

  5. #295
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
    What about the thought that if the Taliban succeed in Afghanistan, they then can combine with Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Pakistan to topple the Pakistani government, putting Pakistan's nuclear arsenal in the hands of these nutjobs ? Not to mention what happens to the poor women and girls of both countries, being under the guns of these looney misogynists.
    i have come to the conclusion that we can't save the world, as awful as it sounds. afghanistan BROKE the soviet union. we've now been there longer, and the progess stalled a long time ago. we didn't learn from history. no way can have the effect we want to have in afghansitan without a much larger commitment than we currently have. it would take too mcuh money, time and troops to see any real change there.

    we can certainly use our wealth and nuclear arsenal as a deterrent. it's up to the pakistanis to run their own country, if they can't figure it out, it's not our problem.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #296
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Again Obama said keeping the tax cuts will create millions of jobs. Are you saying he is lying?

    Obama Says Tax Compromise Will Help Create Jobs - BusinessWeek

    President Barack Obama said the compromise tax plan he’s agree to with congressional Republicans will give businesses incentives to grow and hire and help create “millions of jobs.”
    I'm saying what I have always said, the only jobs the president can claim are those where the government hired someone or funded money to pay for those employees. No matter what Obama or any politician claims, there is no actual evidence that tax cuts or tax increases create jobs. Politicians, all of them, are in the happen of putting a positive spin and taking credit they don't deserve. Obama is no exception.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #297
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    afghanistan makes no sense now.
    What makes no sense is in how it has been handled. First it was abandoned, and they the mission became too concerntrated on nation building. We should have a simple mission, one related directly to addressing al Qeada type training camps and helping Pakistan keep their nukes safe. The surge simply was illadvised.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
    What's wrong with not extending the tax cuts for the rich, with an exception for small businessmen who meet specific criteria (hiring new employees, expanding, etc) ? Plus, taxes on employees and non-reinvesting businessmen with incomes over $250,000/year could be raised on a sliding scale. Those with incomes of over a Billion/year (yes there are some) could be taxed at 99%. So someone whose income is, for example, $ 1.5 Billion/year, would still rake in $ 15 Million/year. Not too many coal miners, cops, firefighters, troops in Afghanistan, etc, would feel too sorry for him with his cool $ 15 Million, you think ?
    Whats wrong it means more pork. Reid is loading Obama's tax cut extension bill as we speak. The debt does not matter to Democrats

    Senate Tax Cut Package Filled With Sweeteners, Obama Predicts Passage - FoxNews.com

    Among the extra provisions are a tax credit for biodiesel, a tax credit for ethanol, extensions of tax credits for energy-efficient homes and appliances, and credits for training mine rescue teams.

    It would allow millions of dollars worth of expensing for film and production companies doing work in the United States, give breaks for the rum trade in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, provide incentives for investment in the District of Columbia and provide other benefits for the battered Gulf coast.

    The 45-cent-per-gallon ethanol subsidy alone, extended through 2011, was estimated to cost about $5 billion. The issue is of particular interest to lawmakers from Midwestern states with grain crops.

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm saying what I have always said, the only jobs the president can claim are those where the government hired someone or funded money to pay for those employees. No matter what Obama or any politician claims, there is no actual evidence that tax cuts or tax increases create jobs. Politicians, all of them, are in the happen of putting a positive spin and taking credit they don't deserve. Obama is no exception.

    Nice way to avoid calling Obama a liar a true tactic of an apologist

  10. #300
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama's Democrats in disarray over expiring tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i have come to the conclusion that we can't save the world, as awful as it sounds. afghanistan BROKE the soviet union. we've now been there longer, and the progess stalled a long time ago. we didn't learn from history. no way can have the effect we want to have in afghansitan without a much larger commitment than we currently have. it would take too mcuh money, time and troops to see any real change there.

    we can certainly use our wealth and nuclear arsenal as a deterrent. it's up to the pakistanis to run their own country, if they can't figure it out, it's not our problem.
    I am really torn on Afghanistan these days....I'd love to agree with you liblady, largely because I don't think that 'nation building' is what anyone signed up for. And I also know that ending our involvement in that country would save us billions of dollars that we could sorely use here considering the pace at which demo, and repub progressives are burning through it. But there is a 'face' argument to be made is there not? "Cutting and running" would invite further attack, and project weakness would it not?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •