Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 666

Thread: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

  1. #471
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    DEFICIT REDUCTION...those of your party continue to voice this as a montra...time you start putting your "money" were your mouth is.
    see post above. If I could be guaranteed that the additional revenue would be used to pay down the deficit, I would gladly pay more taxes.

    But it wouldn't be, they would find some loophole, or wonderful new bull**** program or bailout to WASTE it on and then we would be worse off than we are now. No deficit reduction and higher taxes.

    I don't trust the govt to be fiscally responsible with any more money than they already get.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #472
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    It's really not an either/or situation. Both need to happen. You can't just solely cut spending. The deficit is too large.
    that's the point, they won't cut spending. so the additional taxes won't do a damn thing to reduce the deficit.

    cut spending THEN raise taxes.

    I don't trust em
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #473
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The argument with allowing the tax cuts on the wealthiest Americans at this time isn't about taking that money and putting it back into social services programs. It's about "PAYING DOWN THE NATIONAL DEBT!!!"
    tell it to 47 house dems

    Dem letter: Keep tax cuts for rich - John Maggs - POLITICO.com

    tell it to jiltin joe lieberamn, stiffneck ben nelson, bye bye evan bayh and budget chair kent conrad who's gonna lose his job in 2 years

    More Democrats Call for Keeping Tax Cuts - WSJ.com

  4. #474
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    see post above. If I could be guaranteed that the additional revenue would be used to pay down the deficit, I would gladly pay more taxes.

    But it wouldn't be, they would find some loophole, or wonderful new bull**** program or bailout to WASTE it on and then we would be worse off than we are now. No deficit reduction and higher taxes.

    I don't trust the govt to be fiscally responsible with any more money than they already get.
    Let's bring all of our troops home.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #475
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The argument with allowing the tax cuts on the wealthiest Americans at this time isn't about taking that money and putting it back into social services programs. It's about "PAYING DOWN THE NATIONAL DEBT!!!" Granted, Clinton was able to do it (reduce the deficit) by cutting spending and raising taxes just slightly, but his tax increases were "targetted" and the money did go towards debt reduction. The same thing is being proposed now and most top wage earners don't have a problem with "doing what's necessary by way of those who can help in support of their country". Millianaires know they've had it good since the 80's. From many of the news reports I'm reading, the rich don't seem to have a problem with paying alittle more in taxes. They'll get that money back anyway. So, for them paying an additional $100K in taxes compared to their $10M in earnings...a drop in the bucket. Of course, you'll phrase this as "wealth redistribution". I'd call it that IF the tax revenues were going towards social programs, but from everything I've heard the President say on this matter, it would not.

    DEFICIT REDUCTION...those of your party continue to voice this as a montra...time you start putting your "money" were your mouth is.
    No, our first Republican Congress in half a century did it. Clinton just waited in the Oral office with Monica and took credit for it.

  6. #476
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Let's bring all of our troops home.

    Does Afghanistan really need a 500 million dollar embassy?

    US to spend 500 million dollars on embassy in Afghanistan

    November 4, 2010 by legitgov

    ShareThisAnother day, another unreported budget-busting bl*wjob for US corporaterrorists: US to spend 500 million dollars on embassy in Afghanistan --Embassy expansion contract worth 511 million dollars awarded to US company, Caddell Construction Inc. 03 Nov 2010 The United States is bolstering its presence in Afghanistan with a 500 million dollar expansion of its Kabul embassy and the construction of two consulates, it announced Wednesday. Washington's Kabul embassy is already its biggest in the world, with about 1,100 employees, projected to rise to 1,200 by the end of the year, officials said. [See also: The Obusha AfPak Money Pit By Lori Price.]


    US to spend 500 million dollars on embassy in Afghanistan | Citizens for Legitimate Government

  7. #477
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    troop pullout aint gonna happen either

    Joe Biden: 2014 Afghanistan Pullout Is 'Drop Dead Date'

  8. #478
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,296

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Did I say I wanted taxes to be raised? Point to anything in my post where I said I was for raising taxes. I did not. I merely made counter-points to your argument concerning the limited tax credits, extensions or reductions made under Pres. Obama. Can't help it if my objectivity ruined your "I hate Obama" tiraide.

    I tend to look at a given situation and support concepts that are intended to either remedy the situation or mitigate it to some degree, i.e., tax cuts/credits that are specific for the economic situation of the day. The reason I'm against making any tax cuts permanent is because we live in a capitalistic society where the state of our economy is always changing, constantly in flux. A 10% tax increase today (depending on what the increase was for) might not be as affective 5-10 years from now. So, why make them permanent if chances are the nation's economic situation may very well change in the not too distant future and we find we have to either increase or decrease that same tax because the economics of the day have changed? It's why our tax code is 20 years out of date! Our economy has changed. Now, imagine if made the tax code from 1990 permanent and could not change them to meet today's economic challenges? This is why I think what Republicans are advocating is disasterous to the future of our nation's economy. It's foolhearty to think any other way!!!
    You don't see the difference between the Bush and Obama tax cuts? Obama's were targeted and thus didn't provide incentive to all. Bush's were tax cuts for all Americans and provided more income on each paycheck. Apparently you don't understand the difference.

  9. #479
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Let's bring all of our troops home.
    that would be a start. stop wasting money in ****holes like Iraq and Afghanistan. take all the troops deployed overseas and put em on the damn mexican border to keep all those illegal jotos from streaming in.

    cut research grants into studying how cow farts contribute to global warming

    stop funding "the arts"

    get rid of the dept of education. (let the states handle it)

    no more pork barrel "bridge to nowhere" projects

    cut welfare to able bodied people
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #480
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Let's bring all of our troops home.
    but don't muster them out, there are no jobs for them....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •