Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 666

Thread: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

  1. #251
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Try 99 wks and wanting another extention. As long as the unemployment checks are coming, many will not take a job they feel is beneath them.
    I think those who have been unemployed for close to 2 yrs should have packed up and moved a long time ago. Their job is not coming back and apparantly there is no other work to be found.
    I tend to believe this and goes along with what I just posted.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  2. #252
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,910
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Sorry I still call BS. Persistance and will is all you need. I went 2 months without a job I thought that was a lot. I live in a area that currently, the unemployment is 19%--that was before I had the job I have now and damn wouldn'tcha now I found a job! I refuse to believe that it isn't because people are idiots and can't be more resourceful.
    This is the US and you're free to believe whatever you like. And you are free to refuse to believe whatever you like. However, none of that makes you right.
    That said, here are the facts from the BLS

    http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf
    Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey
    Highlights
    September 2010
    Bureau of Labor Statistics
    November 9, 2010

    Last edited by Simon W. Moon; 11-21-10 at 05:11 PM.
    I may be wrong.

  3. #253
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I keep waiting for someone of your superior intelligence and experience to educate me but like with all liberals I am always disappointed. Tell me exactly where my economics education is lacking and what I am missing regarding the Obama economy?
    hell, you were asked several hours ago to please fill us in on the wages and benefits that wallyworld offers its employees, and to explain how they benefit the community...you havent done that...still waiting. you claim to have intimate knowledge, but refuse to give it to those who ask....with all due respect, i think you are full of it, and don't have anywhere near all this 'experience' that you claim, nor the knowledge, otherwise you would have stepped up to the plate by now, instead , you run and hide behind attacks and insults on people, or by trying to play word games, or behind useless platitudes. good day to you sir.

  4. #254
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Right we have homeless people in this country because of the Iraq War? We have starving people in this country because of the Iraq War? Since when has lack of spending caused the problems of high unemployment, poverty, and homelessness? Too many here are very naive when it comes to actual facts and reality. I don't know why you or anyone else continues to buy the liberal rhetoric which does nothing but make you look foolish when countered with the facts.

    This country has spent trillions on the "War on Poverty" and we still have poverty. I hate to break it to you but there were homeless people and people living in poverty before the Iraq War.
    I was comparing saving the $100b/yr spent on unemployment compensation with saving the $900b/yr spent on the Iraq war.

  5. #255
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,256

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    hell, you were asked several hours ago to please fill us in on the wages and benefits that wallyworld offers its employees, and to explain how they benefit the community...you havent done that...still waiting. you claim to have intimate knowledge, but refuse to give it to those who ask....with all due respect, i think you are full of it, and don't have anywhere near all this 'experience' that you claim, nor the knowledge, otherwise you would have stepped up to the plate by now, instead , you run and hide behind attacks and insults on people, or by trying to play word games, or behind useless platitudes. good day to you sir.
    That is a diverion, look it up, it is on line. anyone that seems to believe that a working Wal-Mart employee doesn't benefit the community really is economically challenged.
    Last edited by Conservative; 11-21-10 at 05:20 PM.

  6. #256
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,256

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I was comparing saving the $100b/yr spent on unemployment compensation with saving the $900b/yr spent on the Iraq war.
    What 900 billion a YEAR? This is amatuer hour here. Get the facts on the Iraq/Afghanistan war. You don't have a clue

    http://costofwar.com/
    Last edited by Conservative; 11-21-10 at 05:21 PM.

  7. #257
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,910
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It costs tax revenue to fund unemployment benefits and that adds to the deficit which adds to debt service so tell me how that benefits the U.S. economy vs. forcing that unemployed individual to find a job, maybe not THE job but A job? If you truly care about tax revenue why would you support paying it out to people who can but don't work?
    You said that the BLS has facts. The BLS has noted, there simply are not enough jobs to go around. There are several times more job seekers than jobs.

    Can you explain how failing to extend these benefits will enable people to get jobs that don't exist? Will motivation be enough to create these jobs?

    It seems that putting money into the economy will help to keep demand up. If demand doesn't come up, no employer will decide to hire more people.

    This is demand problem, not a supply problem.
    I may be wrong.

  8. #258
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    This is the US and you're free to believe whatever you like. And you are free to refuse to believe whatever you like. However, none of that makes you right.
    That said, here are the facts from the BLS

    http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf
    Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey
    Highlights
    September 2010
    Bureau of Labor Statistics
    November 9, 2010
    Sorry but I live in a area hit very hard by the economic downturn and I have a job. I also have a job in the least hiring sector according to the BLS. The statistics on there don't really match quite what you were saying, and the figures cut off at August, I actually found this job in August so who knows. Oh and I worked for 2 months straight 7 days a week 10 hours a day at a pre-assembly plant that employs roughly 120 people a shift. This is in an area that according to the Maysville, KY unemployment office job growth is projected at -.08% for the next 4 months, unemployment is 14% (compared to the 10.5% in Kentucky overall and 9% US average) I still am able to get this job. Is it the best thing in the world? Of course not. Am I saving money, and making sure my daughter isn't born into the world with her daddy being one of these lazy assholes hoping for unemployment? You bet.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  9. #259
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,005

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by zip98053 View Post
    To which extension are you referring; the extension of the tax breaks for the wealthy or the extension of unemployment benefits? Letting the taxes on the wealthy revert to Clinton-era rates (which were much lower than the Reagan-era rates) would more than make up for the cost of the extension of unemployment benefits.
    was refering to the unemployment. If the one cancels the other out, as you state, it does nothing to lower the US debt. Congress and then the President cannot continue down the road of spend and spend without having a way to pay for it and reduce our debt.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  10. #260
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,910
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Predictions are worthless, results matter. I predict that people will stay unemployed as long as there is no incentive to find a job.
    Unemployment exists WITH the incentive to find a job.
    I may be wrong.

Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •