Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 666

Thread: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

  1. #221
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    How does non-spending on the part of however many thousands of people provide more benefit to the economy than spending by thousands of people--even if only on what is needed?

    How did we suddenly come to have a bumper crop of lazy people at the exact same time a global and national economic crisis? Could the two be linked? Does an economic crisis make people lazy?
    Or could there be another explanation beside the sudden onset of laziness en masse as to why we have almost twice as many unemployed people than we have had in recent memory?

    I would like to examine the source of your facts. Can you please provide a link to your source?
    he can't, or won't....he fails to understand the concept that we didnt get into the economic mess we are in overnight, but expects obama to be able to fix it in two years....he mistakes republicans doing well this last election as a mandate for republicans....those drawing unemployment , for the most part, are not lazy and just wanting to live off the government teat.....they are looking for work, but there are not jobs to be had yet....it is a slow 'jobless' recovery...i know several people who are unemployed, and who look for work everyday, and i would dare him to call them 'lazy' to their face...he would have his head ripped off and shoved up his arse....

  2. #222
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    haymarket;1059114171]from Conservative


    Because I have heard all the weeping and gnashing of teeth from the right wing and they have made a believer out of me. They have convinced me that we have to do something about our outrageous national debt and it is something we have to do now. I will stand up proudly and salute the flag and follow the wishes of the conservatives and support steps to reduce the debt and deficit by allowing the already negotiated tax rates to go back to pre-2001 levels as promised.
    There cetainly is a way to handle the debt, stop the spending. How much of the budget items here are duplicated at the state level. Why do you buy that this is a revenue problem and not a spending problem? Doesn't appear that you have a clue how our economy works. There is only one ideology that isn't concerned about what you make or get to keep, think about it.

    Defense
    International Affairs
    Gen. Science, Space
    Energy
    Natural resources/env
    Agriculture
    Commerce
    Transportation
    Community Dev
    Education/Train/Social
    Health
    Medicare
    Income Security
    Social Security
    Veterans Benefits
    Justice
    General Govt.
    Net Interest


    You, like some others here, seem to be hung up on only one tax - the income tax. The fact is that lower income people pay lots of taxes. And if you want my own personal opinion about the issue, I personally think that all people should pay taxes, even the poorest who only earns $100 a year. And they do through established taxes.
    Do you understand what those other taxes are and what they fund? Think about it, when you drive a car you purchase gasoline and that price includes excise taxes which fund the roads, bridges, and other infrastructure. FICA funds SS and Medicare all which come back to the people, sales taxes fund state and local programs. Income taxes are supposed to fund the General Revenue of the U.S. and when 47% don't make any payments, where is your outrage?

  3. #223
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    And BEA.gov and BLS.gov have facts from the future instead of projections?
    No, bea.gov and bls.gov report actual data and the past, not the future projections.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    he can't, or won't....he fails to understand the concept that we didnt get into the economic mess we are in overnight, but expects obama to be able to fix it in two years....he mistakes republicans doing well this last election as a mandate for republicans....those drawing unemployment , for the most part, are not lazy and just wanting to live off the government teat.....they are looking for work, but there are not jobs to be had yet....it is a slow 'jobless' recovery...i know several people who are unemployed, and who look for work everyday, and i would dare him to call them 'lazy' to their face...he would have his head ripped off and shoved up his arse....

    Let's see, Obama was in the Congress and campaigned for the job saying he had the answers. He took office in January 2009, the recession ended in June 2009 and yet today 17 months later we have higher unemployment than we had when he took office and unemployment each month of 2010 is higher on a month to monty basis than it was in 2009 the recession year. He has added 3 trillion to the debt and meager economic growth and 4 million lost jobs. Those are Obama results that you seem so proud of. How about those election results on Nov. 2. It does appear that the American people woke up. Still waiting for you to do the same thing. Results matter, you still buy the rhetoric.

  5. #225
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,853

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    where is your outrage?
    try as I might, I just cannot summon up any. Sorry.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #226
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    try as I might, I just cannot summon up any. Sorry.
    Not surprising, those for bigger govt, less personal responsibility, and those historically and economically challenged are just like you.

  7. #227
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    The reason Bush's cuts are expiring is because they aren't paid for. Why do you want to take on more debt during tough economic times? Spending is a problem, but you can't feasably cut that much in spending to get us in the black.

    Principle indeed.
    Then pay for them damn it! It's not your freaking money. Cut the freaking budget, or does that much common sense evade you?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #228
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Let's see, Obama was in the Congress and campaigned for the job saying he had the answers. He took office in January 2009, the recession ended in June 2009 and yet today 17 months later we have higher unemployment than we had when he took office and unemployment each month of 2010 is higher on a month to monty basis than it was in 2009 the recession year. He has added 3 trillion to the debt and meager economic growth and 4 million lost jobs. Those are Obama results that you seem so proud of. How about those election results on Nov. 2. It does appear that the American people woke up. Still waiting for you to do the same thing. Results matter, you still buy the rhetoric.
    the recession is over by whose standards? the banks? yours?? the down jones industrial average going up, corporate profits going up, doesnt equal a recovery for those still looking for work. what you consider 'waking up' for the American People is actually frustration , and not a ringing endorsement for republicans or their platform. maybe YOU are the one that needs to wake up.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Since extending unemployment benefits costs the taxpayers money the benefits don't offset the expense of those benefits in terms of deficit, debt service, or economic growth. Most of the spending from unemployment insurance goes to what is needed and nothing else thus there isn't much benefit to economic growth or job creation. Further it destroys incentive to find a new job until those benefits run out.
    From the looks of these links it is also going to hurt employers. That's good news if you're goal is to create even more unemployed Americans.
    Say Anything Surprise: After Mandating Unemployment Benefit Expansions 40 States May Need $90 Billion In Bailouts
    Lawmakers: Raise Taxes to Fund Unemployment Benefits - State Journal - STATEJOURNAL.com
    State May Raise Taxes & Freeze Unemployment Benefits - WHIO Local News on newstalkradiowhio.com
    As jobless funds fall, states look to raise taxes - USATODAY.com
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #230
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    the recession is over by whose standards? the banks? yours?? the down jones industrial average going up, corporate profits going up, doesnt equal a recovery for those still looking for work. what you consider 'waking up' for the American People is actually frustration , and not a ringing endorsement for republicans or their platform. maybe YOU are the one that needs to wake up.
    NBER, the keeper of the economic data. I do agree however Obama has done nothing to grow the economy and make it better so officially the recession ended but the Obama economy is the worst ever coming out of a recession and it is all due to implementation of a massive expansion of govt. Why don't you just admit who you really are, someone who cannot accept personal responsibility and someone who expects the govt. to provide cradle to grave coverage for you. Free enterprise and capitalism have no place in your world or Obama's and because this country wasn't built on the Obama principles it isn't recovering like it should.

Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •