Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

  1. #1
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,285
    Blog Entries
    2

    New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator - Yahoo! News

    Reuters 1pm-New Jersey's Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a bid to recall Senator Robert Menendez, ruling that state law does not allow the removal of a sitting federal representative outside of scheduled elections.

    "The court finds that ... the federal Constitution does not allow states the power to recall U.S. senators," Chief Justice Stuart Rabner wrote in a majority 4-2 opinion.
    I think this is the best thing, since allowing voters to recall senators could create huge problems. People sitting and watching for low approval ratings and pushing to oust them for political gain. We have elections at set intervals, that should be enough.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    I think this is a bad thing. Employers should be allowed to fire bad employees on the spot.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,555

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator - Yahoo! News



    I think this is the best thing, since allowing voters to recall senators could create huge problems. People sitting and watching for low approval ratings and pushing to oust them for political gain. We have elections at set intervals, that should be enough.
    That's stupid, don't other states have the ability to recall their senators?

  4. #4
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,285
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    That's stupid, don't other states have the ability to recall their senators?
    AS I read it, they can state officials but not federal officials.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator - Yahoo! News



    I think this is the best thing, since allowing voters to recall senators could create huge problems. People sitting and watching for low approval ratings and pushing to oust them for political gain. We have elections at set intervals, that should be enough.
    So you have a problem with the people whom put politicans in office the ability to take them out when they dont serve the purpose of the voters.

    Wonder if it has anything to do with this senator being a liberal?

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,285
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    So you have a problem with the people whom put politicans in office the ability to take them out when they dont serve the purpose of the voters.

    Wonder if it has anything to do with this senator being a liberal?
    They do have such an ability. We periodically vote for our officials and can vote them out any time we want.

    I wonder if my view is based on something other reasoning and not partisanship? I bet it is...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They do have such an ability. We periodically vote for our officials and can vote them out any time we want.

    I wonder if my view is based on something other reasoning and not partisanship? I bet it is...
    So you think when someone doesnt serve the people they should only be removed from office by voting in elections? Wonder if you would have said the same thing in 06 when they libs were screaming for Bush to be impeached?

    And I think it has everything to do with partisanship seeing what a Obama stooge Senator Robert Menendez is.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,285
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    So you think when someone doesnt serve the people they should only be removed from office by voting in elections? Wonder if you would have said the same thing in 06 when they libs were screaming for Bush to be impeached?

    And I think it has everything to do with partisanship seeing what a Obama stooge Senator Robert Menendez is.
    I never called for Bush to be impeached.

    You are allowed to think whatever wrong things you want to. I would point out though that the thread I created before this one I stated that Rangel should be thrown out of office, despite the fact that he is a liberal...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    People are elected to serve a term in office. That is part of the contract between voter and official. The one exception should be grounds for removal based on criminal behavior. Allowing recall of Senators is taking us on the roller coaster to dysfunctional government hell and greasing the tracks to pick up speed.

    Of course, if your goal is indeed failure of government, then you should back unrestricted recall with all your strength.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #10
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator - Yahoo! News



    I think this is the best thing, since allowing voters to recall senators could create huge problems. People sitting and watching for low approval ratings and pushing to oust them for political gain. We have elections at set intervals, that should be enough.
    I have to say I disagree. The people's power should not be limited to every election. 6 years is a long time to wait and watch the damage continue without any recourse by the people.

    She accused the court of "judicial activism" and said the majority of the justices disregarded a 1995 amendment to the state constitution that established the right of recall for a sitting U.S. senator.

    If she is right about the ruling and they did ignore it its very troubling.
    Last edited by texmaster; 11-18-10 at 05:16 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •