Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

  1. #11
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Personally, I think recalling a elected official should only be if they have committed crime, or are somehow incapable of doing their job - the problem is defining that last in such a way that it prevents opposing political parties/individuals from using such a system to **** with each other.

    As we all know they would, if possible.

    That doesn't sound right, somehow...

    You know what I mean.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #12
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator - Yahoo! News



    I think this is the best thing, since allowing voters to recall senators could create huge problems. People sitting and watching for low approval ratings and pushing to oust them for political gain. We have elections at set intervals, that should be enough.
    I think you're right....after I thought about it. Just because voters don't like the way a politician is representing them shouldn't make recall elections possible. That's what elections are for. This kind of thing could end up costing taxpayers millions as special interest groups ramp up to demand a recall election.

    We have systems in place within the House and Senate to handle malfeasance. Other than that, election time's good enough.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I have to say I disagree. The people's power should not be limited to every election. 6 years is a long time to wait and watch the damage continue without any recourse by the people.

    She accused the court of "judicial activism" and said the majority of the justices disregarded a 1995 amendment to the state constitution that established the right of recall for a sitting U.S. senator.

    If she is right about the ruling and they did ignore it its very troubling.
    I think(have not read the ruling itself yet so not positive) that the decision was that the state laws are irrelevant due to it being a federal office.

    From the constitution:

    The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State for six Years;
    However:

    The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Place of Chusing Senators.
    I think what the court ruled is the constitution says 6 years, and that the second quote only refers to setting up those every 6th year election. If I get some free time tonight, I will try and read through the ruling.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Personally, I think recalling a elected official should only be if they have committed crime, or are somehow incapable of doing their job - the problem is defining that last in such a way that it prevents opposing political parties/individuals from using such a system to **** with each other.

    As we all know they would, if possible.

    That doesn't sound right, somehow...

    You know what I mean.
    I agree! If there was a way to allow it that wouldn't be abused, then I'd be for it, but I can't think of a way to do it without the abuse?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I agree! If there was a way to allow it that wouldn't be abused, then I'd be for it, but I can't think of a way to do it without the abuse?

    Tim-
    Yeah, this is why I like the ruling. If it starts to be allowed, I think it would be abused, and badly, by democrats and republicans. Senator votes for unpopular bill(which is allowed), then quick call for recall. Every single time we hit economic hard times, which result in lower approval ratings for people in congress, recall calls would happen.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #16
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think this is a bad thing. Employers should be allowed to fire bad employees on the spot.
    The American people don't have the training to micromanage politics.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The American people don't have the training to micromanage politics.
    Yet the majority of voters voted for someone like Obama that didnt have the training to run the country.

    Voters make mistakes and should have the right to fix them.

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    You realize that by 2006, that would've meant Bush would've likely been recalled? And then a new election in 2008 and now you guys want to recall the president in 2010, etc.

    It's chaos is what it is. It would eventually lead to anarchy.

    If the country survived the ****-ups of Bush, it will surivive Obama's and it will survive Menendez serving out his term.

    Recall elections are for drama queens.

  9. #19
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,593

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    One state allowing for a recall election for its Senators would not lead to "chaos," nor would it affect anything other than that one's state Senators. Creating a recall election for the President would require a full Constitutional amendment, which ain't ever gonna happen. That slope is not only not slippery, it's coated with superglue. (THANK YOU, federalism.)

    That said, I don't think it's a good idea, for all the reasons stated.

    And with THAT said, I don't think the 17th Amendment prevents a state from setting it up.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #20
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    New Jersey high court rejects bid to recall senator - Yahoo! News



    I think this is the best thing, since allowing voters to recall senators could create huge problems. People sitting and watching for low approval ratings and pushing to oust them for political gain. We have elections at set intervals, that should be enough.
    I not only believe there should be a mechanism for "WE THE PEOPLE" to remove any elected official from office for any reason at any time.

    It should not be too easy but it needs to be possible because as in the case of Obama who is acting in less than the best interest of the Nation he and his mate seem to hate, it would be best id he where to go away and take Biden with him. I'd call it a twofer recall.

    But i
    I would wait until Pelosi is long gone before I did it, because that sorry excue for a human in as Anti- American as Obama & Reid.
    Last edited by Councilman; 11-18-10 at 06:45 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •