Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 188

Thread: Terrorist found not guilty

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I just think the level of what is or is not admissible is ridiculously biased in favor of the criminal. I am not argueing against checks and balances.
    File that under "no ****". Of course it's biased in favor of the defendant. It's up to the State to prove guilt. The individual is assumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The government is what should be restricted, not the People.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    tell that to the parent's of the kid killed by the drunk driver who was released because the calibration on the breathalyzer was 2 days overdue, or to the lady who was raped by the guy who was released because the cop forgot to put an "x" in block 17a on the arrest warrant.
    Tell it to all these innocent people whom you say were wrongly convicted.

    Anecdotes don't make an argument. No one said anything was perfect. Not possible in the human world.


    I just think the level of what is or is not admissible is ridiculously biased in favor of the criminal.
    No, it's biased in favor of the government having to be on the straight and narrow before it locks someone away, which is how it should be.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #53
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yet another embarrassing defeat for this clown in the WH.


    j-mac
    Is it really a "defeat"? I mean, if he was so clearly a terrorist, then the State should have had clear evidence to gain a conviction.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Ahmed Ghailani's acquittal on nearly all counts in embassy bombings case has big repercussions

    Ahmed Ghailani was supposed to be the test case, the reason why political opposition to trying Guantanamo goons in civilian courts was just hot air.

    But now, after "Foopie" Ghailani was acquitted on all but one count for his role in the 1998 East Africa embassy bombings by Al Qaeda, Team Obama's hope of trying Gitmo's worst in civilian courts has been all but dashed.
    Mixed verdict for Ghailani renews debate over trying terror suspects

    The Obama administration had hoped that a conviction on most, if not all, of the charges would help clear the way for federal prosecutions of other Guantanamo detainees - including Khalid Sheik Mohammed and four alleged co-conspirators accused of organizing the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

    President Obama's strategy, however, has run into fierce, cross-party opposition in Congress and New York, where the administration once hoped to try Mohammed, in part because of concerns that it would be harder to win convictions in civilian court.

    The failure to convict Ghailani, a native of Tanzania, on the most serious terrorism charges bolstered the arguments of those who say the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, should be kept open, both to host military commissions for some prisoners and to hold others indefinitely and without trial under the laws of war.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Crow View Post
    I am so sick and tired of the same crap said over and over again:

    It's all Bush's fault!!!!.

    And the idiot that is in charge now is not responsible for anything.
    What a bunch of crap.
    Are people's memories so short? How about during the vast majority of Bush's first term when it was All Clinton's Fault? You think the left has a monopoly on partisan crap? Like hell. Both sides are well versed in the stupidity of partisan rhetoric.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #56
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    You would be singing a very different tune if you were black.
    Oh yes. Make sure you check under your bed tonight for "the man"
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #57
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Is it really a "defeat"? I mean, if he was so clearly a terrorist, then the State should have had clear evidence to gain a conviction.
    It's a defeat in the minds of partisan cheerleaders only. I rather doubt the defendant is doing backflips about the prospect of doing twenty to life in solitary.

    Some of the idiotic partisan hacks on this board would start a thread gloating over Obama's gross incompetence if he had missed a spot shaving that morning.

  8. #58
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Tell it to all these innocent people whom you say were wrongly convicted.

    Anecdotes don't make an argument. No one said anything was perfect. Not possible in the human world.




    No, it's biased in favor of the government having to be on the straight and narrow before it locks someone away, which is how it should be.
    no, it's biased in favor of the govt having to be perfect in every single case. some of the technicalities that let criminals walk have no bearing on the actual quality of the evidence.

    It's like your teacher giving you an F on a test because you forgot to capitalize your name. Sorry johnny, but you didn't put a period at the end of sentence #5, you'll have to retake english in summer school.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Are people's memories so short? How about during the vast majority of Bush's first term when it was All Clinton's Fault? You think the left has a monopoly on partisan crap? Like hell. Both sides are well versed in the stupidity of partisan rhetoric.
    I don't recall Bush claiming that everything that happened was Clinton's fault like Obama is doing to him. Bush has a lot more class. Obama is no better than Carter.

    If Holder had tried him in front of a military tribunal, the methods they used to find out who he bought explosives from would be moot.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #60
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    no, it's biased in favor of the govt having to be perfect in every single case.
    That makes me quite happy. It should make any liberty-loving person happy.


    some of the technicalities that let criminals walk have no bearing on the actual quality of the evidence.
    Doesn't matter. Rule of law is more important than every single criminal being found guilty.


    It's like your teacher giving you an F on a test because you forgot to capitalize your name. Sorry johnny, but you didn't put a period at the end of sentence #5, you'll have to retake english in summer school.
    You can be glib, but someone's liberty is far, far more important than any English test. This comparison is silly.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •