Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 188

Thread: Terrorist found not guilty

  1. #151
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    06-04-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    123

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    On Wednesday, Ahmed Ghailani was found not guilty of all but one charge by a federal jury in New York. Ghailani was found guilty for only one charge of conspiracy to destroy government buildings. Ghailani dodged the over 280 charges of murder and terrorism, when several witnesses and evidence collected had to be denied admission in the trial. Evidence collected on the battlefield or in the intelligence gathering process was not permitted in the Ghailani trial.

    why was evidence denied?
    Because the Judge was a Clinton appointee and the bombings and interrogations took place under CLINTON.

  2. #152
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Its funny how you say that right after a moderator backs him up by saying "stick to the topic"

    This Article actually goes to show that because harsh interrogation techniques were used on Ghailani, a witness which might've altered the decision, was prevented from testifying, ie the prosecution lost their ace in the hole because of waterboarding, or something like it.
    Can you describe what happened to Ghailani and how it constituted "waterboarding, or something like it"?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #153
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Can you describe what happened to Ghailani and how it constituted "waterboarding, or something like it"?
    "Harsh interrogation techniques"

    Thats the something like that part. I can't conclusively show that it was waterboarding, simply because that information, to my knowledge, isn't out there, and I'd rather not file an FOIO request for an online debate.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #154
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    "Harsh interrogation techniques"

    Thats the something like that part. I can't conclusively show that it was waterboarding, simply because that information, to my knowledge, isn't out there, and I'd rather not file an FOIO request for an online debate.
    What constitutes a "harsh interrogation technique" and what makes you think it's anything remotely like waterboarding?

    You can't just lump everything that you find objectionable into the category of "waterboarding or something like it."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #155
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What constitutes a "harsh interrogation technique" and what makes you think it's anything remotely like waterboarding?

    You can't just lump everything that you find objectionable into the category of "waterboarding or something like it."
    Absolutely! I read the article that this poster thought himself so clever for posting FOXNews, then thought that he could just get away with making the statement that it proved his point. When questioned on it, he got all snarky with you....Brilliant argument!

    What I found interesting about the article was this part....

    The anonymous federal jury deliberated over seven days, with a juror writing a note to the judge saying she felt threatened by other jurors.
    Was this a Muslim woman? if so how many Muslims were on the jury? And threatened by whom? This is a sad day when the murders of those people can't be successfully prosecuted by America because of our own loopholes, and that there are those right here in this country that cheer that very fact.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #156
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What constitutes a "harsh interrogation technique" and what makes you think it's anything remotely like waterboarding?

    You can't just lump everything that you find objectionable into the category of "waterboarding or something like it."
    I don't find it objectionable, but the star witness couldn't be admitted to the case to testify because his name was revealed during "harsh interrogation techniques." It doesn't specifically matter whether it was waterboarding, but what matters is that it has a place in getting this guy off charges of murder.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  7. #157
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I don't find it objectionable, but the star witness couldn't be admitted to the case to testify because his name was revealed during "harsh interrogation techniques." It doesn't specifically matter whether it was waterboarding, but what matters is that it has a place in getting this guy off charges of murder.

    Yep, and that is what happens when you grant rights to people that shouldn't have them. Good going libs. Kiss trying KSM in America good bye.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #158
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,225

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What constitutes a "harsh interrogation technique" and what makes you think it's anything remotely like waterboarding?

    You can't just lump everything that you find objectionable into the category of "waterboarding or something like it."
    Neither can you handwave away something foul because it makes your side look bad.

    "Harsh interrogation technique" is a euphemistic phrase describing various degrees of torture up to and including waterboarding. A turd by any other name stinks as badly.


    "According to ABC News,[10] former and current CIA officials have come forward to reveal details of interrogation techniques authorized in the CIA. These include:
    Attention Grab: The interrogator forcefully grabs the shirt front of the prisoner and shakes them
    Attention Slap: An open-handed slap to the face aimed at causing pain and triggering fear
    Belly Slap: A hard open-handed slap to the abdomen. The aim is to cause pain, but not internal injury. Doctors consulted advised against using a punch, which could cause lasting internal damage
    Long Time Standing: This technique is described as among the most effective. Prisoners are forced to stand, handcuffed and with their feet shackled to an eye bolt in the floor, for more than 40 hours
    Cold Cell: The prisoner is left to stand naked in a cell kept near 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius), while being regularly doused with cold water.
    Waterboarding: The prisoner is bound to an inclined board, feet raised and head slightly below the feet. Material is wrapped over the prisoner's face and water is poured over them. Unavoidably, the gag reflex kicks in and a terrifying fear of drowning leads to almost instant pleas to bring the treatment to a halt"


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhance...ion_techniques
    Last edited by Manc Skipper; 11-20-10 at 12:40 PM.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #159
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    why does the WHITE HOUSE see this verdict as such a loss?
    Because it exposes the incompetence of this administration?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    both holder AND obama have declared repeatedly that even if one of the terrorists walks outta civil court free he will still be detained
    Show trials, kinda like Stalin back in the thirties...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I could get you to confess to raping and murdering your own (actually still living) mother if I waterboarded you long enough.

    Confessions obtained under torture are not acceptable in any civilized justice system, because there's a pretty high liklihood they aren't even accurate. People will do anything to get the torture to stop. If you want a system where torturing you to get you to confess is considered ok, I suggest moving to North Korea.
    Irrelevant. Waterboarding is not torture, and Ghailani didn't confess; he only gave up a witness who was not allowed to testify. That is *not* the same as a forced confession.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #160
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Terrorist found not guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Neither can you handwave away something foul because it makes your side look bad.

    "Harsh interrogation technique" is a euphemistic phrase describing various degrees of torture up to and including waterboarding. A turd by any other name stinks as badly.


    "According to ABC News,[10] former and current CIA officials have come forward to reveal details of interrogation techniques authorized in the CIA. These include:
    Attention Grab: The interrogator forcefully grabs the shirt front of the prisoner and shakes them
    Attention Slap: An open-handed slap to the face aimed at causing pain and triggering fear
    Belly Slap: A hard open-handed slap to the abdomen. The aim is to cause pain, but not internal injury. Doctors consulted advised against using a punch, which could cause lasting internal damage
    Long Time Standing: This technique is described as among the most effective. Prisoners are forced to stand, handcuffed and with their feet shackled to an eye bolt in the floor, for more than 40 hours
    Cold Cell: The prisoner is left to stand naked in a cell kept near 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius), while being regularly doused with cold water.
    Waterboarding: The prisoner is bound to an inclined board, feet raised and head slightly below the feet. Material is wrapped over the prisoner's face and water is poured over them. Unavoidably, the gag reflex kicks in and a terrifying fear of drowning leads to almost instant pleas to bring the treatment to a halt"


    Enhanced interrogation techniques - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    So are grabbing the shirt and shaking, face slapping with an open hand, or slapping the belly torture in your estimation?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •