Page 30 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 879

Thread: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

  1. #291
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I do think it is fine, but I linked a video and argument different than yours that was more reasonable earlier. It related specific to children and their difficulties. By treating everyone as a them and not addressing actual arguments, you lose any chance of actually finding common ground.
    And by frequently declaring your opinion as "fact," which you have done several times over the last few days alone, you've given up any claim to "reasonability." Too late for that now.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #292
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It doesn't work like that.

    I don't need the Constitution to expressly permit anything I want to do.

    The government needs to justify its intrusion to me, not the other way around.
    Yes, it DOES work like that -- and your big-bad government already did justify it. It's called "The Law," duly enacted by your representatives.

    Buy a ticket, refuse the checkpoint security measures, leave the airport, lose your money spent for the ticket. The ticket'll give you "standing," and you can take it all the way to SCOTUS. Be my guest.

    But in the meantime, if you don't intend to do that, when you get in the security line at the checkpoint, wouldja' mind keepin' it movin'????
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #293
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's not remotely the same. The public nature of the tranportation, the history of actual efforts to bring things on a plane, remeber 9/11? It wasn't wmds either.

    So, there are real and significant differences. treating them as if they were the same is simply inaccurate.
    You can state all you want that some privacies should be infringed and others should not, but that doesn't make you right. You're arguing for some of the most invasive violations of privacy for one of the safest forms of transportation. It's frankly ridiculous that you think getting on a plane is the most vulnerable you're going to be at any given point in your life. Your argument that airplane security can be rationalized because it's been a threat in the past is even further off base. You've never heard of Oklahoma City... Or Columbine? How many planes were involved in those?
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  4. #294
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It doesn't work like that.

    I don't need the Constitution to expressly permit anything I want to do.

    The government needs to justify its intrusion to me, not the other way around.
    Harshaw, would you mind clarifying what it is you're arguing. I believe I've lost your point.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #295
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    And by frequently declaring your opinion as "fact," which you have done several times over the last few days alone, you've given up any claim to "reasonability." Too late for that now.
    No, my opinion is my opinion. Fact is fact. Molestation and even feeling up has a factual definition outside of opinion. Not knowing the difference between the two seems to be your problem and not mine. And by going the hyperbolic exaggeration route you did begin with, you left reason and not me.

    And it is never to late to stop and make a reasonable argunment.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #296
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yes, it DOES work like that -- and your big-bad government already did justify it. It's called "The Law," duly enacted by your representatives.
    1) Bull****. This is a TSA measure, not a duly-enacted law.

    2) Any law or regulation or action involving a search must absolutely be justified against the 4th Amendment. Merely passing it doesn't make it so.


    Buy a ticket, refuse the checkpoint security measures, leave the airport, lose your money spent for the ticket. The ticket'll give you "standing," and you can take it all the way to SCOTUS. Be my guest.

    But in the meantime, if you don't intend to do that, when you get in the security line at the checkpoint, wouldja' mind keepin' it movin'????
    Sorry; you have no authority here.

    You're not doing much for my view of cops and how backwards they frequently seem to understand the relationship between citizen and state. You work for us. We don't work for you.

    (Actually, I find that runs about 50/50; about half of the cops I know do take civil liberties very seriously, but I guess we know which 50 you're in.)
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #297
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    You can state all you want that some privacies should be infringed and others should not, but that doesn't make you right. You're arguing for some of the most invasive violations of privacy for one of the safest forms of transportation. It's frankly ridiculous that you think getting on a plane is the most vulnerable you're going to be at any given point in your life. Your argument that airplane security can be rationalized because it's been a threat in the past is even further off base. You've never heard of Oklahoma City... Or Columbine? How many planes were involved in those?
    Factual some can. Even wiretapping can be done under the proper conditions. I don't object with proper oversight, for example. It is all about the circumstance and specifics. This is the problem we always have in these debates, your side tends to treat unlike things as if they are alkike and lump things together as if there is no nuance, all of nothing. it doesn't work that way. Everything is in the details.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #298
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, my opinion is my opinion. Fact is fact. Molestation and even feeling up has a factual definition outside of opinion. Not knowing the difference between the two seems to be your problem and not mine. And by going the hyperbolic exaggeration route you did begin with, you left reason and not me.

    And it is never to late to stop and make a reasonable argunment.
    Been doing it all day.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #299
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Been doing it all day.
    I hope you will understand that as long as you use hyperbolic and exaggerated labugae like feeling up and molestation, I can't agree with you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #300
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Your argument is childish, imo. I don't need the government's permission to chose to travel one way or another. Travel any way you'd like. But if you choose to fly, OMFG!!!!!!!, be prepared that the security of other passengers aboard that airplane comes before your right to object to security protocols legally in place.
    And what was wrong with the old security protocols...the ones that DIDN'T involve Federal Nudie Booths and Federal Groping? They've been fine, as there have been only two attempted terrorist attacks out of MILLIONS of flights in the past 9 years, both of which were thwarted by the passengers.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-18-10 at 02:10 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 30 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •