Page 28 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 879

Thread: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

  1. #271
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,564

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't beleive it will be, and believe that prediction is just a little hyperbolic to say the least.

    Wiretaps, espeically the minning ones, sent the FBI off on snipe hunts, wasting manpower. there was an article on that in the NYT some years ago. Jon Stewart did an example were you put three dots together easy to see. Now cover the area with dots, can you now see the three dots and connect them? It's a visual of the problem, and backed by the FBI's complaint of doing more investigating terachers than terrorist.

    Also, phones and such are differnt than planes. Planes area public transportion. Phones are more private. There's reason to inspect peoople before boarding a plane, and not good cause to randomly invade a person at home or on the phone. Again, two different things. it is wrong to treat different things as if they were the same.
    I do believe he's backpedaling so hard he may break something.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #272
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I do believe he's backpedaling so hard he may break something.
    Who's backpeddaling? Is this a tactic to help you avoid answering?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #273
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not it the same way they don't. Different things treated differently is not a double standard. People are seeking to get on a public transportation that HAS been use in a terrorist activity, where weapons and exposives HAVE either made it on board or been attempted. This is different than minning phone calls which does more to mask patterns than expose actual terrorist. It is actively going into a private ara and not meeting someone in a public areana engaged in a public activity.
    This is the most asinine argument I've yet seen on this subject. So because it's not the exact same privacy that's being infringed upon, one is OK, the other is not?

    I'll quote myself again, since you glossed over my point without really addressing it:
    Both the Patriot Act and the security procedures of the TSA give the government the ability to infringe upon areas of citizen's rights that they should have no business being involved in. Both are justified using the argument of "National Security."
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  4. #274
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    So waive my Fourth Amendment rights or deny my daughter the chance to visit her family. Gotcha.

    Land of the free my ass ...As we have seen, attempting to leave a checkpoint costs about $10,000 per occurence. I pay enough in taxes already, thankyouverymuch.
    Just let me make this clear. I think you have every right in the whole wide world to object vociferously to current security screening procedures. We live in extraordinary times. We are being beaten to death by our own Constitution....that profiling is illegal. That, to me, is the ridiculous part of the whole debate.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #275
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Coronado linked this earlier, a measure just introduced in the House:

    MaggieD opposes this, or at least she seemed to indicate that she did. Waiting to find out on what grounds.
    Ah, I see. I misunderstood. I thought it meant that federal employees were exempt from scrutiny. As I read it now, it merely means TSA thugs can't hide their sexual assault behind the "just following orders" excuse. Which is a great idea, IMO.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  6. #276
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Just let me make this clear. I think you have every right in the whole wide world to object vociferously to current security screening procedures. We live in extraordinary times. We are being beaten to death by our own Constitution....that profiling is illegal. That, to me, is the ridiculous part of the whole debate.
    I actually agree with this. I would much rather see profiling than the current system if for no other reason than that far fewer people's rights would be abridged. I'm not talking racial profiling, either. I'm talking mannerisms and that sort of thing.

  7. #277
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,564

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Just let me make this clear. I think you have every right in the whole wide world to object vociferously to current security screening procedures. We live in extraordinary times. We are being beaten to death by our own Constitution....that profiling is illegal. That, to me, is the ridiculous part of the whole debate.
    No, the ridiculous part of this debate is that you seem to think you need the government's permission to choose your own method of travel. There is no other way to interpret "you don't have the right to fly."
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #278
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    This is the most asinine argument I've yet seen on this subject. So because it's not the exact same privacy that's being infringed upon, one is OK, the other is not?

    I'll quote myself again, since you glossed over my point without really addressing it:
    It's not remotely the same. The public nature of the tranportation, the history of actual efforts to bring things on a plane, remeber 9/11? It wasn't wmds either.

    So, there are real and significant differences. treating them as if they were the same is simply inaccurate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #279
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No, the ridiculous part of this debate is that you seem to think you need the government's permission to choose your own method of travel. There is no other way to interpret "you don't have the right to fly."
    Your argument is childish, imo. I don't need the government's permission to chose to travel one way or another. Travel any way you'd like. But if you choose to fly, OMFG!!!!!!!, be prepared that the security of other passengers aboard that airplane comes before your right to object to security protocols legally in place.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #280
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,564

    Re: TSA ejects Oceanside man from airport for refusing security check

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Your argument is childish, imo. I don't need the government's permission to chose to travel one way or another. Travel any way you'd like. But if you choose to fly, OMFG!!!!!!!, be prepared that the security of other passengers aboard that airplane comes before your right to object to security protocols legally in place.
    No, you keep INSISTING that you don't have "the right" to fly. You even put it in bold.

    So, perhaps you should explain exactly what you mean by "the right to fly," and why, in your estimation, we don't have it.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 28 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •