Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    I'm not pushing for the implementation of unproven technology. 26 years is the best number with the current data, making guesses about future demand or future supply is simply speculation. It does NOT matter whether or not the law or any other factor will allow you to confirm or deny your speculation it is still ONLY speculation.

    Now we agree on the major point that the US needs to develop new forms of energy, however I don't think you understand the massive task that involves. The entire global economy is structured around energy and oil makes up a massive part of that, 26 years in my opinion is NOT a safe net to simply ASSUME and SPECULATE that new technologies will emerge in that time which will remove our need for oil.

    What I'm saying is that those US reserves need to be used sparingly over time so as to give us the greatest amount of time possible to develop those new technologies. Thats the reasonable course of action.

  2. #32
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I'm not pushing for the implementation of unproven technology. 26 years is the best number with the current data, making guesses about future demand or future supply is simply speculation. It does NOT matter whether or not the law or any other factor will allow you to confirm or deny your speculation it is still ONLY speculation.

    Now we agree on the major point that the US needs to develop new forms of energy, however I don't think you understand the massive task that involves. The entire global economy is structured around energy and oil makes up a massive part of that, 26 years in my opinion is NOT a safe net to simply ASSUME and SPECULATE that new technologies will emerge in that time which will remove our need for oil.

    What I'm saying is that those US reserves need to be used sparingly over time so as to give us the greatest amount of time possible to develop those new technologies. Thats the reasonable course of action.
    Would you agree that making us more reliant on foreign sources for our oil is a national security situation? And if so, why would you tie the hands of those wanting to develop our own sources?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #33
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    BP created a mess, Obama made it much much worse.
    Blaming it all on BP is like blaming our economy all on Bush......never mind, libs do that too.
    How did Obama make it worse? BP is to blame for the spill and the consequences of that spill that followed.
    You listen to too many right wingnuts.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  4. #34
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Would you agree that making us more reliant on foreign sources for our oil is a national security situation? And if so, why would you tie the hands of those wanting to develop our own sources?


    j-mac
    And why didn't the republicans address the issue during the 6 years they had total control?

    They know we can not drill our way to energy independance.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  5. #35
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    BP created a mess, Obama made it much much worse.
    Blaming it all on BP is like blaming our economy all on Bush......never mind, libs do that too.

    Obama made it worse?

    Jesus christ.

    Funny though, I was in the pub one day and I was talking to two oil workers who work up in Alberta. And they reckon they'd never, ever, ever want to work with BP. They reckon BP is one of the worst companies for safety violations and they have been for a long time.

    What the **** did Obama do to make it worse?

    Oh thats right, he didn't, you just wanted to fill the partisan hack quota for this thread.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The problem with your argument is that you fail to understand that nobody wants a lanthanite mine behind their house because of what it does to the land. China produced 97% of rare earth minerals and that's simply because China started outguessed the majority of the world on the importance of these metals as far back as the 70s. It's also poisoned the drinking water of millions and destroyed hundreds of villages in its drive to extract these minerals. The U.S. is in the position where it holds lanthanite mines but doesn't have any infrastructure in place to actually extract it and even if it did it would take up to 20 years for the minerals to make it to a product. Not to mention that well, nobody wants a lanthanite mine in their backyard because of the environmental consequences. You can talk about oil independence all you want but if somebody decides to stick a refinery on your front porch you'll be angry as hell and that goes for the majority of Americans regardless of where they stand on the political scale. Nancy Pelosi doesn't want a wind turbine ruining her view of San Fran anymore than Sarah Palin wants an oil refinery blocking her view of Russia.
    With all due respect, we are able to mine the stuff, and it does not require going into folk's back-yards. Whether China wants to do it as haphazard as they have is up to them. The bottom line is that we are dependent on them for rare-earth metals, which are vital to just about all of our electronic manufacturing. And we are dependent on others for petroleum, as this thread topic illustrates. Why does anyone need attack the U.S. now as they can just turn off any number of spigots if ever they need to up the ante ?

    This is part of our national security. And the liberal argument seems to be "why bother".

  7. #37
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, those liberals just HATE green energy!
    I used to be be an environmentalist. Now I'm just so sick of the Global Warming hoax, and gov. wanting to control everything in our lives, that I sometimes purposely throw recyclables in the garbage.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #38
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I used to be be an environmentalist. Now I'm just so sick of the Global Warming hoax, and gov. wanting to control everything in our lives, that I sometimes purposely throw recyclables in the garbage.
    So you're not gonna tell me how Obama made it worse?

    Aw. I'm sad now.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I'm not pushing for the implementation of unproven technology. 26 years is the best number with the current data, making guesses about future demand or future supply is simply speculation. It does NOT matter whether or not the law or any other factor will allow you to confirm or deny your speculation it is still ONLY speculation.

    Now we agree on the major point that the US needs to develop new forms of energy, however I don't think you understand the massive task that involves. The entire global economy is structured around energy and oil makes up a massive part of that, 26 years in my opinion is NOT a safe net to simply ASSUME and SPECULATE that new technologies will emerge in that time which will remove our need for oil.

    What I'm saying is that those US reserves need to be used sparingly over time so as to give us the greatest amount of time possible to develop those new technologies. Thats the reasonable course of action.
    Agreed. And IMMHO, nuclear (see France) and clean coal it will be, not windmills and solar, which are about as useless as it gets (see Spain). However, despite the talk, Obama has stifled nuclear and coal. Look at Yucca Mountain. Which, in wasting time doing essentially nothing, and applying the old adage of "you're either getting better, or you're getting worse", we are getting worse. It is all about him pandering to his left-fringe loonies.

    And back to the point of the thread, we are drilling less now. Because of Obama.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    With all due respect, we are able to mine the stuff,
    Actually, even if we were it wouldn't mean much in the short run or in the long one. We simply don't produce enough electronics to make it viable and even if we did it would still take 15 years for us to start seeing some kind of profit.

    DailyTech - China's Stranglehold on Rare Earth Metals Could Choke EV, Hybrids

    The bottom line is that China outguessed the U.S. and the rest of the world, wisely recognizing the value of the resource in 1980s and early 90s and committing to the expensive up front investment to harvest them. Now 10 to 15 years later, it is reaping the rewards, while the U.S. is left wondering what to do.

    China is well aware of its position and plans to fully exploit it now. Former Communist Party leader Deng Xiaoping remarked some time ago, "There is oil in the Middle East, there are rare-earths in China; we must take full advantage of this resource."

    Bryce warns that the rush to EVs and hybrids may put the U.S. in a bind. He states, "In this headlong rush to go ‘green,’ we are essentially trading one type of import reliance for another. We are going to be more dependent on a single market, where there’s no transparency and one dominant market player who happens to own most of our debt already."
    Troubled mine holds hope for U.S. rare earth industry The Washington Independent

    Despite Molycorp’s goals, experts suggest that it will take many years to develop a U.S. REE industry. Yaron Vorona, executive director of the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security’s Technology and Rare Earth Metals Center, cited an April 2010 Government Accountability Office report that says it could take 15 years to develop a U.S. rare earth industry.

    Vorona says the U.S. has a lack of scientific knowledge about REEs because most scientists went to China to continue their work on the minerals decades ago. “If the mines that are being planned were all to come online tomorrow that would be fantastic, but there would be nobody to run them,” Vorona said, noting that China has 100,000 rare earth scientists.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-13-10 at 03:41 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •