Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Simply math time.
    2009 oil consumption of the US was 18,690,000 barrels a day.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2174rank.html

    US proven reserves are 19,120,000,000 Barrels
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2178rank.html

    So if we take the proven reserves(assuming it never increases) over the daily consumption we get: roughly 9775 days. That may seem like a lot but lets divide it by 365 and convert it to years. That's 9775 divided by 365, is roughly 26 years!

    So assuming that:
    A) Daily oil consumption NEVER increases since 2009 levels
    B) We can access every single US reserve at any given moment and without spill or error.

    We can be oil independent for roughly 26 years!!!
    Its not a question of the U.S. becoming 100% energy independent, using our own reserves. That is not the issue here, nor is it what was raised. Nor is it a question of increased drilling lowering the price, as the price will be set primarily by worldwide demand. Even were the U.S. able to double production tomorrow, such as OPEC could reduce production and keep the price elevated.

    That does not diminish the need for us to develop our own petroleum resources. It would reduce our exposure to such as embargoes and other disruptions. It dovetails into the accelerated building of nuke plants and clean coal, which to no one's surprise, despite the rhetoric, the Obama Administration has squashed. Those two industries would have been perfect targets for Stimulus, as would a border fence have been, but instead, Obama thought it better to go with the Apollo Alliance recommendations, and basically blow it all.

    There is a pattern with this Administration to stifle real energy production that is not greener than green, and it is not good.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That's crap. If we had an energy policy of true independence from foreign sources and used our own first, our cost would indeed drop.

    j-mac
    We'd also be putting people to work and keeping money here and out of the hands of people who don't like us.
    I'd say we have idiots running the country, but I don't think that's it. It's much more insidious than that.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  3. #23
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    We'd also be putting people to work and keeping money here and out of the hands of people who don't like us.
    I'd say we have idiots running the country, but I don't think that's it. It's much more insidious than that.
    Yes, yes, we know. It's the commies. They're out to rape us all. Insidious I tell you! Insidious!
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, yes, we know. It's the commies. They're out to rape us all. Insidious I tell you! Insidious!
    Well, perhaps not ........... but, you are aware of China cornering the mining of rare-earth metals ? Owning about 97% of it as we type ? And that the U.S. is loathe to develop its own rare-earth resources due to severe EPA restrictions.

    Them's the facts. Funny how it all works, eh ?

  5. #25
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Simply math time.
    2009 oil consumption of the US was 18,690,000 barrels a day.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2174rank.html

    US proven reserves are 19,120,000,000 Barrels
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2178rank.html

    So if we take the proven reserves(assuming it never increases) over the daily consumption we get: roughly 9775 days. That may seem like a lot but lets divide it by 365 and convert it to years. That's 9775 divided by 365, is roughly 26 years!

    So assuming that:
    A) Daily oil consumption NEVER increases since 2009 levels
    B) We can access every single US reserve at any given moment and without spill or error.

    We can be oil independent for roughly 26 years!!!
    We don't know how much oil is still to be found.
    That aside, we are working on new kinds of energy all the time. Who knows what our oil needs will be 20 yrs from now? I'm up there in yrs a bit and I remember as a kid , we were always about to run out of oil.
    We need to start using all of our own resources while working on newer, greener (gawd, I'm starting to hate the word green), energy.
    Drill here drill now!
    If we vote in another frigging liberal in 2012, we'll deserve whatever we get.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  6. #26
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    You might want to direct your outrage at BP instead of Obama. They created the mess.
    BP created a mess, Obama made it much much worse.
    Blaming it all on BP is like blaming our economy all on Bush......never mind, libs do that too.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #27
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    We don't know how much oil is still to be found.
    That aside, we are working on new kinds of energy all the time. Who knows what our oil needs will be 20 yrs from now? I'm up there in yrs a bit and I remember as a kid , we were always about to run out of oil.
    We need to start using all of our own resources while working on newer, greener (gawd, I'm starting to hate the word green), energy.
    Drill here drill now!
    If we vote in another frigging liberal in 2012, we'll deserve whatever we get.
    Yes, those liberals just HATE green energy!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Well, perhaps not ........... but, you are aware of China cornering the mining of rare-earth metals ? Owning about 97% of it as we type ? And that the U.S. is loathe to develop its own rare-earth resources due to severe EPA restrictions.

    Them's the facts. Funny how it all works, eh ?
    The problem with your argument is that you fail to understand that nobody wants a lanthanite mine behind their house because of what it does to the land. China produced 97% of rare earth minerals and that's simply because China started outguessed the majority of the world on the importance of these metals as far back as the 70s. It's also poisoned the drinking water of millions and destroyed hundreds of villages in its drive to extract these minerals. The U.S. is in the position where it holds lanthanite mines but doesn't have any infrastructure in place to actually extract it and even if it did it would take up to 20 years for the minerals to make it to a product. Not to mention that well, nobody wants a lanthanite mine in their backyard because of the environmental consequences. You can talk about oil independence all you want but if somebody decides to stick a refinery on your front porch you'll be angry as hell and that goes for the majority of Americans regardless of where they stand on the political scale. Nancy Pelosi doesn't want a wind turbine ruining her view of San Fran anymore than Sarah Palin wants an oil refinery blocking her view of Russia.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-13-10 at 01:37 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't think I am. There are untapped, and undeveloped resources in the upper Mid West, as well as Alaska.
    But its just speculation, nothing has been proven beyond what the CIA factbook has. Now I don't doubt that in all of America's holdings there is yet undiscovered, however you can't say that its a fact that the US has the largest reserves when all you are basing it on is speculation.

    The same goes for your other argument, you are SPECULATING. You are assuming there will be new technologies in the future, you are assuming the rate of oil consumption stays similar, you are assuming and speculating about everything having to do with the future.

    I've got the only argument which uses actual facts and numbers, and that argument says that given no increase in oil consumption the US can sustain itself for 26 years assuming no other reserves are found. However I doubt you'll argue that new reserves will suddenly take that number from 26 to infinity.

    The US needs to start finding new energy sources and it needs to do it while maintaining a safe and reasonable level of oil production in our own borders. We cannot simply drill everything and drill it all immediately because than we'll be using our last reserves as fast as possible, if we don't find that solution in 26 years than we'll be back in the stone age. The goal should be to prolong our oil reserves as long as possible to give us the most time possible to find a replacement

  10. #30
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: New deepwater drilling permits: Zilch

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    But its just speculation, nothing has been proven beyond what the CIA factbook has. Now I don't doubt that in all of America's holdings there is yet undiscovered, however you can't say that its a fact that the US has the largest reserves when all you are basing it on is speculation.
    It is only speculation because forces prevent actual exploration to confirm, isn't that true?

    The same goes for your other argument, you are SPECULATING. You are assuming there will be new technologies in the future, you are assuming the rate of oil consumption stays similar, you are assuming and speculating about everything having to do with the future.
    No, this is the part that you and others ignore about my argument. I am for ALL OF THE ABOVE! Period. But I am realistic that we can NOT shut off the spigot of energy we use, and rely on now, for some untested, unproven pipe dream immediately. Develop every idea out there, and get it going. Meanwhile, reduce our dependance on foreign sources by increasing our own production, convert to Natural Gas what can be converted, and get going yesterday on nuclear power.

    I've got the only argument which uses actual facts and numbers, and that argument says that given no increase in oil consumption the US can sustain itself for 26 years assuming no other reserves are found. However I doubt you'll argue that new reserves will suddenly take that number from 26 to infinity.
    26 years is a static number without realistic factors like exploration, and development of other sources. In any case that is plenty of time.

    The US needs to start finding new energy sources and it needs to do it while maintaining a safe and reasonable level of oil production in our own borders.
    What's reasonable?

    We cannot simply drill everything and drill it all immediately because than we'll be using our last reserves as fast as possible, if we don't find that solution in 26 years than we'll be back in the stone age. The goal should be to prolong our oil reserves as long as possible to give us the most time possible to find a replacement
    If you have doubts that we can do it within 26 years, why in the world are you pushing for implementation of unproven technology now?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •