Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

  1. #1
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) - President Barack Obama claimed a stronger hand on the world stage Friday despite electoral defeats at home, failure to get a free-trade agreement with South Korea and lackluster international support for his get-tough policy with China on trade and currency disputes.

    "It wasn't any easier to talk about currency when I was first elected and my poll numbers were at 65 percent," Obama argued at the close of the G-20 summit, after bluntly accusing Beijing of undervaluing its currency.

    The president flew to Japan for the APEC summit without the coveted trade pact with Korea or a united front with other countries against China's currency policy. He also endured a gusher of criticism from other countries about a decision by the U.S. central bank to pump $600 billion into the U.S. economy, something China, Germany and others believe could weaken the dollar and lead to inflation.

    My Way News - Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Is this guy Obama for real? He jets across the world to secure a pact that was already pretty much done for him by the previous administration, and in his arrogance manages to blow it up because he thinks he has a better plan. Then he goes to China and pretty much insults our biggest lender, and has the utter gaul to step out and say that he claims a "strengthened hand"?

    Maybe he needs to submit to a drug test, because I think he is snorting drugs again. He is without a doubt the most inept President we have had in a long time...

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #2
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Related News:

    SEOUL — President Obama’s hopes of emerging from his Asia trip with the twin victories of a free trade agreement with South Korea and a unified approach to spurring global economic growth ran into resistance on all fronts yesterday, putting Obama at odds with his key allies and largest trading partners.
    The most concrete trophy expected to emerge from the trip eluded his grasp: a long-delayed free trade agreement with South Korea, first negotiated by the Bush administration and then reopened by Obama, to have greater protections for US workers.

    And as officials frenetically tried to paper over differences among the Group of 20 members with a vaguely worded communiqué to be issued today, there was no way to avoid discussion of the fundamental differences of economic strategy. After five largely harmonious meetings in the past two years to deal with the most severe downturn since the Depression, major disputes broke out between Washington and China, Britain, Germany, and Brazil.

    Each rejected core elements of Obama’s strategy of stimulating growth before focusing on deficit reduction. Several major nations continued to accuse the Federal Reserve of deliberately devaluing the dollar last week in an effort to put the costs of America’s competitive troubles on trading partners, rather than taking politically tough measures to rein in spending at home.

    The result was that Obama repeatedly found himself on the defensive. He and the South Korean president, Lee Myung Bak, had vowed to complete the trade pact by the time they met here; while Obama insisted that it would be resolved “in a matter of weeks,’’ without the pressure of a summit meeting it was unclear how the hurdles on nontariff barriers to US cars and beef would be resolved.

    US, South Korea trade accord not a done deal - The Boston Globe
    Obama is such a buffoon.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #3
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,162

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    From the quoted article, it seem to me that all he is saying is that it wasn't any easier negotiating when he was riding high in the polls than it is now, when he isn't. As for the laughable claim that the previous administration set this up, the attempt to insult our intelligence is noted.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Is this guy Obama for real? He jets across the world to secure a pact that was already pretty much done for him by the previous administration, and in his arrogance manages to blow it up because he thinks he has a better plan. Then he goes to China and pretty much insults our biggest lender, and has the utter gaul to step out and say that he claims a "strengthened hand"?

    Maybe he needs to submit to a drug test, because I think he is snorting drugs again. He is without a doubt the most inept President we have had in a long time...
    You made another topic where you criticized him for admitting to America's decreasing relative economic strength in the world, instead saying he could claim and act like America is and always will be in the same position it held since the fall of the Soviet Union.

    NOW you are arguing because he "insulted" China, because he's acting like America has the authority and influence to change or influence their monetary policy, which you say is a dumb move.

    So what do you want him to do, act like the big kid on the block? Act like China and India are still in the early 90s and late 80s? Or do you want him to acknowledge reality and avoid "insulting" our biggest lender?

    O ya, and can you source you're claim that the last administration set this all up.

  5. #5
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Yeah Wiseone, and manic, I can see how you missed it trough the selective reading you both tend to do these days.

    Here, I'll post it again, and with only the relevant paragraph so that you can focus long enough to take it in.....

    The most concrete trophy expected to emerge from the trip eluded his grasp: a long-delayed free trade agreement with South Korea, first negotiated by the Bush administration and then reopened by Obama, to have greater protections for US workers.
    got it?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yeah Wiseone, and manic, I can see how you missed it trough the selective reading you both tend to do these days.

    Here, I'll post it again, and with only the relevant paragraph so that you can focus long enough to take it in.....

    So if one day Obama or some future President manages to create a peace process or assist in one which actually leads to lasting peace between Palestine and Israel, all credit should go to Carter because the one who "first negotiated" the issue?

    Also, do you know how much of these negotiations were done by Obama and how much were done by Bush? Who knows how much credit each deserves

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Is this guy Obama for real? He jets across the world to secure a pact that was already pretty much done for him by the previous administration, and in his arrogance manages to blow it up because he thinks he has a better plan. Then he goes to China and pretty much insults our biggest lender, and has the utter gaul to step out and say that he claims a "strengthened hand"?

    Maybe he needs to submit to a drug test, because I think he is snorting drugs again. He is without a doubt the most inept President we have had in a long time...

    j-mac
    Take a step back, and look at this post. Is this how an intelligent person opens a conversation on current events?

  8. #8
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    So if one day Obama or some future President manages to create a peace process or assist in one which actually leads to lasting peace between Palestine and Israel, all credit should go to Carter because the one who "first negotiated" the issue?

    Also, do you know how much of these negotiations were done by Obama and how much were done by Bush? Who knows how much credit each deserves
    Puhleeze! Really? You do have Google don't you?

    The accord, signed in 2007 by negotiators for President George W. Bush, has languished in Washington as lawmakers complained about Korean barriers to exports of U.S. autos and beef. Ford Motor Co. and the United Auto Workers opposed the agreement and sought changes.

    South Korean `No Deal' May Damp U.S. Trade Accords Prospects - Bloomberg
    After the midterm election losses, Obama “must have been hoping he could come back from an international trip with at least something to at least be able to begin to rebuild,” said Tim Condon, head of Asia research at ING Groep NV in Singapore. “He wasn’t able to bring back the Korea FTA and he was roundly rebuffed at the G-20, so it’s going to be a long flight home for Mr. Obama.”

    Obama disputed the notion that clashes over economic and monetary policy at the G-20 and the lack of a free-trade accord with South Korea represented setbacks for the U.S.

    Obama Puts `Singles' Instead of Home Runs on Scoreboard in Asia - Bloomberg
    This guy can't get anything, the world laughs at him.....All he had to do was close the deal that Bush made, and he couldn't even do that due to his ties to special interests.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #9
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Take a step back, and look at this post. Is this how an intelligent person opens a conversation on current events?
    Do you have any intelligent input? Or just insults? go away.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Puhleeze! Really? You do have Google don't you?
    Its your responsibilty to back your own arguement. Besides you should ALREADY have a source which backs up what you claim as fact, otherwise your statement came from no where. So where's that source?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •