Page 76 of 84 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 834

Thread: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

  1. #751
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I arguing (sic) that once we excuse behavior for the sake of safety, we can excuse any action.
    not very well

    comparing eit's applied to ksm to the rape of a child is as mindless as...

    as, well, comparing torture to running stop signs

    LOL!

  2. #752
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    not very well

    comparing eit's applied to ksm to the rape of a child is as mindless as...

    as, well, comparing torture to running stop signs

    LOL!
    Or, you're missing the point, and battling a strawman of your choosing. it's easier that way for you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #753
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,602

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There was no emergency.
    Because YOU SAY there wasn't?



    Remember, we're talking about justification outside of any need for them.
    No, that's what YOU'RE talking about.

    Once you start doing that, you can literally use anything. The slope really is slippery.
    And who's talking about implementing anything in non-emergency situations? No one I've seen.

    As I continually have to ask you, if you're right, why do you have to make things up?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #754
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    because once we allow the enhanced interrogation of assassins and hitmen, why, next thing you know dick cheney will be RAPING CHILDREN!

    because it's such a SLIPPERY SLOPE!

    LOL!

    good point, plato

  5. #755
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Because YOU SAY there wasn't?
    No, because factually there wasn't. I challenege you to show any evidence of one.


    No, that's what YOU'RE talking about.
    No, that's what was, factually.



    And who's talking about implementing anything in non-emergency situations? No one I've seen.

    As I continually have to ask you, if you're right, why do you have to make things up?
    As we've had no emergency, you are. No one is making anything up here other than you if you're saying there was some emergency.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #756
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,273

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Don't you mean a attorney, a attorney in the name of John Yoo?
    No, I mean ATTORNEYS, more than one.

  7. #757
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,602

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, because factually there wasn't. I challenege you to show any evidence of one.




    No, that's what was, factually.





    As we've had no emergency, you are. No one is making anything up here other than you if you're saying there was some emergency.
    Being that you are the one who's asserting what's "factual" here, as in, you are declaring affirmatively that there was no emergency, I'd say it's you who needs to show that those who are in a position to know are incorrect in saying that imminent plots were disrupted.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #758
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Don't know her well enough to know. But good people, no matter what party they belong to, don't excuse torture.
    Presumably, you don't know George Bush well enough to know, either, and yet I get the feeling you don't think he is a good person. Regardless, if Pelosi did know about the waterboarding and even pressed the CIA to do more to extract intelligence from detainees, would that make her a bad person (or, at least, not a good person) who should be tried as a war criminal?

    Let me ask you about the goodness of Obama. Forget about raping a child to save lives. Let's go one step further. Do good people excuse extrajudicial executions with missiles containing cluster bomblets and dismiss the anticipated killings of women and children who happen to be in the vicinity at the time a High Value Target is sighted? Can a good person justify the killing of women and children if he thinks it will save American lives? If it can be shown that Obama ordered the firing of at least one BGM-109D Tomahawk cruise missile into the Yemeni village of al-Ma'jalah on December 17, 2009, resulting in the deaths of fifty-five people, including 14 women and 21 children, is he still a good person? Amnesty International questioned the legality of the attack. If it was, in fact , illegal, would Obama then also be bad person who should be tried as a war criminal?

    Images of missile and cluster munitions point to US role in fatal attack in Yemen | Amnesty International
    Last edited by Ahlevah; 11-16-10 at 06:05 PM.
    Нава́льный 2018

  9. #759
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Presumably, you don't know George Bush well enough to know, either, and yet I get the feeling you don't think he is a good person. Regardless, if Pelosi did know about the waterboarding and even pressed the CIA to do more to extract intelligence from detainees, would that make her a bad person (or, at least, not a good person) who should be tried as a war criminal?

    Let me ask you about the goodness of Obama. Forget about raping a child to save lives. Let's go one step further. Do good people excuse extrajudicial executions with missiles containing cluster bomblets and dismiss the anticipated killings of women and children who happen to be in the vicinity at the time a High Value Target is sighted? Can a good person justify the killing of women and children if he thinks it will save American lives? If it can be shown that Obama ordered the firing of at least one BGM-109D Tomahawk cruise missile into the Yemeni village of al-Ma'jalah on December 17, 2009, resulting in the deaths of fifty-five people, including 14 women and 21 children, is he still a good person? Amnesty International questioned the legality of the attack. If it was, in fact , illegal, would Obama then also be bad person who should be tried as a war criminal?

    Images of missile and cluster munitions point to US role in fatal attack in Yemen | Amnesty International
    I know his actions, and he publically excused torture. A good person doesn't make excuses for torture.

    While I would certainly criticize Obama for recklessly taking innocent human lives, that is not equal to excusing torture. He would have to stand before us and say that we took those innocent human lives to keep the country safe, and that doing so wasn't wrong. That would be equal to what Bush did.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #760
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Being that you are the one who's asserting what's "factual" here, as in, you are declaring affirmatively that there was no emergency, I'd say it's you who needs to show that those who are in a position to know are incorrect in saying that imminent plots were disrupted.
    Interesting interpretation. But, you suggest there is something, an emergency. The burden is for you to show an emergency. I see none. A negative btw. You assert the positive, that there is one. Please feel free to present evidence of an emergency.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 76 of 84 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •