Page 66 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 834

Thread: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

  1. #651
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If President Bush did something illegal he had an obligation as a Senator to call for Impeachment charges and didn't.
    Ah, the "it's only illegal if you get caught" defense. This from the side of the aisle that is so proud of being seen as big on law and order.

    Laws for thee but not for me, I guess.

  2. #652
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, you're skipping that there are many different ways to do the same thing. Waterboarding is just a euphemism for what has always been called the watert torture. No credible person is making the distinction you're trying to make.
    I could close my eyes, put my fingers in my ears, and go la-la-la-la, but you seem to have cornered the market on that argument for now.

  3. #653
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    what is the difference in the below and what bush authorized?



    Context of '1947: Japanese Soldier Who Waterboarded US Civilian Convicted of War Crime'
    This was a civilian. Do you not see the difference?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #654
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    I could close my eyes, put my fingers in my ears, and go la-la-la-la, but you seem to have cornered the market on that argument for now.
    Is this your way of ingnoring the rebuttal. I linked an overview for that says exactly what I'm saying. That is ahrdly putting my fingers in my ears. You simply have this wrong. Waterboarding is the water torture. All the differening methods do exactly the same thing.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #655
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,291

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Ah, the "it's only illegal if you get caught" defense. This from the side of the aisle that is so proud of being seen as big on law and order.

    Laws for thee but not for me, I guess.
    What exactly do you want? You want Bush prosecuted? Want him thrown in jail? Tell us exactly what you want because what you seem to want is nothing more than a pipe dream as nothing is going to happen and those like you with BDS are going to continue to foam at the mouth.

  6. #656
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What exactly do you want? You want Bush prosecuted? Want him thrown in jail? Tell us exactly what you want because what you seem to want is nothing more than a pipe dream as nothing is going to happen and those like you with BDS are going to continue to foam at the mouth.
    What I want is a little consistency from people like you. Apparently it is, as you say, nothing more than a pipe dream.

    BDS my pasty, white ass ...

  7. #657
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Is this your way of ingnoring the rebuttal. I linked an overview for that says exactly what I'm saying. That is ahrdly putting my fingers in my ears. You simply have this wrong. Waterboarding isThi the water torture. All the differening methods do exactly the same thing.
    At least be realistic. Waterboarding as done at Gitmo is not this:

    Another description of Japanese "water torture":A type of funnel, usually formed from a towel, was placed over the victim's mouth and nose. At the same time, a 5-gallon can was filled with water and usually urine and kerosine. The concoction was poured into the funnel, and the victim had to either swallow all 5 gallons of this mixture or drown.

    Having swallowed 5 gallons of this liquid, the victim's stomach would stretch and swell. The victim would then be bound, often with barbed wire, and the stomach would be struck, either with a rod of some sort or soldiers would even jump on it, depending on how the prisoner was bound. This pressure could easily cause the bloated stomach to burst. If not, the victim was then hanged by his ankles and the liquid would drain out through his mouth, risking drowning once again. The process could then be repeated.
    You lose all credibility when you argue that it's the same thing.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #658
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It was law to begin with. Torture is and was illegal.
    Torture is/was illegal, waterboarding was not, until Obama declared formally that it was torture.

  9. #659
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This was a civilian. Do you not see the difference?
    Why would a that make a difference? It is the act and not the who that is important. Most of those we waterbaorded were civilians as well, belonging to no army.
    Just saying. . .

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #660
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    Torture is/was illegal, waterboarding was not, until Obama declared formally that it was torture.
    NOt true. That's what this entire history point is all about.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 66 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •