Page 55 of 84 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 834

Thread: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

  1. #541
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    Would it be better to try them and execute them, or let them go back home so that they can shoot at us again? Or is it better to simply hold them until this mess simmers down? One of those three options is better for all involved...
    It depends on their crimes and what they are guilty of.. but they should get a trial before they are executed. I wouldn't have a problem with executing them either

  2. #542
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    It depends on their crimes and what they are guilty of.. but they should get a trial before they are executed. I wouldn't have a problem with executing them either
    I think you've actually hit on what I have a problem with. These people haven't been given any sort of due process to find them "terrorists."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #543
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Still waiting for you or anyone else to prove that Waterboarding was torture? Also waiting for an explanation as to if waterboarding was illegal why did Obama have to issue an executive order. Strike 3, you are out!


    Why did Bush make an executive order against torture, but leave out waterboarding? And why was his citation to condemn torture in that order so controversial given the facts??

  4. #544
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    It depends on their crimes and what they are guilty of.. but they should get a trial before they are executed. I wouldn't have a problem with executing them either
    What would you say if we captured a half-dozen alleged insurgents accused of spying (including an American citizen), convened a military tribunal that immediately sentenced them to death, and shot them all, just one month after being captured?
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 11-14-10 at 12:31 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #545
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post


    Why did Bush make an executive order against torture, but leave out waterboarding? And why was his citation to condemn torture in that order so controversial given the facts??
    Why did every other President before Obama not issue an executive order to ban waterboarding? Because waterboarding, while now expressly illegal, was not illegal before that executive order.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #546
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You have to remember that the Japanese were prosecuted for waterboarding U.S. soldiers captured in the field of battle in full uniform and being held as POW's. There's a difference.
    It's a good idea to point out that these Japanese criminals did far more than just waterboarding.

  7. #547
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This thread started about Amnesty Intl wanting to prosecute Bush for war crimes. Terrorists are not protected by any International Treaty. Soldiers caught out of uniform are/were not protected by the Geneva Convention.


    Geneva Convention Rules on Al Queda
    I am sorry.. I don't buy this argument and you're getting from a website that is biased. Do you have another source?

    My problem with this is we have considered it war crimes when other countries have tortured combatants who were not in the military, and did not belong to sovereign countries..

    History is full of so many examples.. look at the history of Yugoslavia, Bosnia-Herzegovina.. apartheid South Africa tortured Nelson Mendela and many others under those facts, the USSR also tortured and killed people under those facts, Saddam Hussein and the Kurdish people..

    I had this conversation with somebody else, and I think this justification is disgusting.. because it can potentially justify torturing any people in the world fighting an oppressive government.

    I also hate the stateless component to this argument.. You know what oppressive governments like USSR, Nazi Germany, and first settlers in America who committed genocide against natives did? They refused to recognize the people they tortured's statehood. The USSR said that the people under them weren't nationals of Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc. anymore.. those countries were gone. If you wanted your sovereign independence back and you did so much as to protest publicly, you were send off to a gulag or mowed down with bullets and tanks.

    The USSR was abusive and did violate human rights.. South Africa, Saddam Hussein, etc. etc. We have always felt that way as a nation and as a international community.

  8. #548
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,906

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Unfortunately there is a difference between Collateral Damage and wilful torture.
    If you fire a missile into a building knowing there is a considerable number of women and children there who are likely to be killed, is that still "collateral damage," as in an "unintended consequence":

    A military strike of this kind against alleged militants without an attempt to detain them is at the very least unlawful. The fact that so many of the victims were actually women and children indicates that the attack was in fact grossly irresponsible, particularly given the likely use of cluster munitions, said Philip Luther, Deputy Director of Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa Programme.

    Images of missile and cluster munitions point to US role in fatal attack in Yemen | Amnesty International
    If it is "unlawful," which is more unlawful and more worthy of prosecution? A case where a president ordered the torture of three terrorists, or a case where the president ordered an assassination knowing that a large number of women and children either were or likely were present?
    Нава́льный 2018

  9. #549
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I am sorry.. I don't buy this argument and you're getting from a website that is biased. Do you have another source?
    The United States has traditionally been in the forefront of efforts to codify and improve the international rules of humanitarian law in armed conflict, with the objective of giving the greatest possible protection to victims of such conflicts, consistent with legitimate military requirements.

    ...

    I have at the same time concluded that the United States cannot ratify a second agreement on the law of armed conflict negotiated during the same period. I am referring to Protocol I additional to the 1949 Geneva Conventions, which would revise the rules applicable to international armed conflicts.

    ...

    Another provision would grant combatant status to irregular forces even if they do not satisfy the traditional requirements to distinguish themselves from the civilian population and otherwise comply with the laws of war. This would endanger civilians among whom terrorists and other irregulars attempt to conceal themselves. ... Finally, the Joint Chiefs of Staff have also concluded that a number of the provisions of the Protocol are militarily unacceptable.

    It is unfortunate that Protocol I must be rejected. We would have preferred to ratify such a convention, which as I said contains certain sound elements.

    ...

    The repudiation of Protocol I is one additional step, at the ideological level so important to terrorist organizations, to deny these groups legitimacy as international actors.

    Ronald Reagan
    The White House,
    January 29, 1987
    Protocol I has never been ratified by the Congress of the United States.

    Reagan Rejected Terrorist Geneva Conventions | Sweetness & Light
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 11-15-10 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Fair Use
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #550
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    If you fire a missile into a building knowing there is a considerable number of women and children there who are likely to be killed, is that still "collateral damage," as in an "unintended consequence":

    If it is "unlawful," which is more unlawful and more worthy of prosecution? A case where a president ordered the torture of three terrorists, or a case where the president ordered an assassination knowing that a large number of women and children either were or likely were present?
    The Geneva Convention expressly addresses that all bets are off if the enemy is shielding, as an example, it's munitions storage facility in the midst of a civilian population. Or its troops in close proximity to a hospital. We do a better job that any nation on earth in our attempts to protect civilian populations. All the while, our enemies are killing civilians like freakin' flies.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 55 of 84 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •