Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 834

Thread: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

  1. #501
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,261

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    The supreme court disagrees with you.

    See Hamdan v. Rumsfeld

    And your argument for torturing and waterboarding people is disgusting, despicable, and problematic.

    They aren't in uniforms and don't represent any country.

    Do you realize all the people who stood up for their rights in the USSR weren't in uniform and didn't represent a country and were run over by Soviet tanks, shot to death, spied on, sent to gulag? Do you realize that that is the case for people standing up to oppressive governments all over the world, being marginalized and tortured, raped, etc? Does Nelson Mandela ring a bell?

    Utterly disgusting.
    You seem to have selective research and reading skills, the Military Commission Act of 2006 was passed in October 2006 and signed by the President and was passed after Hamdan v. Rumsfeld which was the court case that claimed military commissions weren't legal. Congress changed that. Get the whole story and not just what you want to believe.

  2. #502
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Thank you, unfortunately the terrorists don't choose their victims better. If Bush broke the law then why wasn't he prosecuted by the Congress which was under the control of Democrats from 2007-2008? Bush did absolutely nothing wrong and kept Americans safe. You find that disgusting? Says a lot about you. I totally disagree as did the Congress or they would have impeached him for violating the law.
    I find it disgusting that you don't see anything wrong with the abuses of the USSR or the apartheid South Africa. Justification for it is disgusting.

    Bush did absolutely nothing wrong... doubt it. I doubt any president does absolutely nothing wrong, but if you think I have said Bush should be impeached or punished then you haven't been listening to me. You can't even impeach Obama without a trial or investigation, and I think that is what some of these people are calling for.

    I personally don't expect anything to happen..

    Pointing out he wasn't punished doesn't prove ****. Clinton lied under oath, but he wasn't punished.. guess it's legal to lie under oath then, right? I guess that means Clinton did absolutely nothing wrong, right? No, it's not.. The fact is, politicians don't have to play by the rules. If you are a politician with money, you can even kill somebody and get away with it, as Ted Kennedy proved it's possible.

    And it also looks like Obama has kept us safe too, even with that ban on waterboarding... We have had a couple of 9/11 anniversaries since he took office, so he has kept us safe longer than Bush did.

  3. #503
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You seem to have selective research and reading skills, the Military Commission Act of 2006 was passed in October 2006 and signed by the President and was passed after Hamdan v. Rumsfeld which was the court case that claimed military commissions weren't legal. Congress changed that. Get the whole story and not just what you want to believe.
    It didn't reverse Hamdan v Rumsfeld and it doesn't sound like you know what that case was exactly about either..

  4. #504
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,261

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I find it disgusting that you don't see anything wrong with the abuses of the USSR or the apartheid South Africa. Justification for it is disgusting.

    Bush did absolutely nothing wrong... doubt it. I doubt any president does absolutely nothing wrong, but if you think I have said Bush should be impeached or punished then you haven't been listening to me. You can't even impeach Obama without a trial or investigation, and I think that is what some of these people are calling for.

    I personally don't expect anything to happen..

    Pointing out he wasn't punished doesn't prove ****. Clinton lied under oath, but he wasn't punished.. guess it's legal to lie under oath then, right? I guess that means Clinton did absolutely nothing wrong, right? No, it's not.. The fact is, politicians don't have to play by the rules. If you are a politician with money, you can even kill somebody and get away with it, as Ted Kennedy proved it's possible.

    And it also looks like Obama has kept us safe too, even with that ban on waterboarding... We have had a couple of 9/11 anniversaries since he took office, so he has kept us safe longer than Bush did.
    You are all over the board and anyone that would compare what happened in the USSR, South Africa, or any other sovereign nation with terrorist actions is absolutely nuts. There is no comparison as you and others have no understanding of the enemy we face. Obama signed an executive order banning waterboarding. That is the bottomline. He wouldn't have had to do that if waterboarding was illegal. The case you cited banned Military Commissions which Congress reinstated in the fall of 2006 so you don't even have the case right.

    I am done with you and this discussion.

  5. #505
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You are all over the board and anyone that would compare what happened in the USSR, South Africa, or any other sovereign nation with terrorist actions is absolutely nuts. There is no comparison as you and others have no understanding of the enemy we face. Obama signed an executive order banning waterboarding. That is the bottomline. He wouldn't have had to do that if waterboarding was illegal. The case you cited banned Military Commissions which Congress reinstated in the fall of 2006 so you don't even have the case right.

    I am done with you and this discussion.
    booooohooooooooo

    I am not all over the board. I have said the same things over and over again..

    I think you are the one not thinking critically here.. You are saying its OK to torture non uniformed, non military enemies, who have no sovereign nation. If you don't understand that the people against the USSR were not identifying with the USSR as a nation, did not wear uniforms, and were not military.. then you don't understand the problem with your argument and why I find it deplorable.

    And as far as the history in South Africa.. they were imprisoning people on islands and torturing them. The ANC was called a terrorist org. Nelson Mandela was on the US terrorist list for years.. in fact, he was just taken off it about 5 years ago.. so you're views are very problematic and I have many reasons to say I despise them. If you don't like that, then change your views or reword them. Clarify yourself, but don't call me nuts for debating the issues with your argument.

    And furthermore, the HvR case had little to nothing to do with what you think


    This is a complex case, with three big questions:

    Is the U.S. government bound by the Geneva Conventions when dealing with "enemy combatants"?

    Is the executive branch's establishment of new judicial processes, to try the Guantanamo detainees, consistent with the Uniform Code of Military Justice and/or legislated by 2001's Authorization of Use of Military Force (AUMF)?

    Can conspiracy be punished as a war crime?


    The Geneva Conventions and the Binding Authority of International Law:

    In 1949, the United States signed the Geneva Conventions regulating treatment of prisoners of war. The Bush administration has charged that terrorists and other paramilitary combatants are not covered by the Geneva Conventions because they're not soldiers in the traditional sense, are not covered by the U.S. Bill of Rights because they're not citizens, and are therefore "enemy combatants" who have no clearly outlined rights.

    The Plurality Ruling:

    The Court's complex 73-page opinion, written by Justice John Paul Stevens and joined by justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and David Souter, holds that (among other things):

    "Enemy combatants" are protected by the Geneva Conventions.


    The AUMF does not grant Bush the authority to create new tribunals without congressional mandate.

    Conspiracy is not a war crime under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
    Summary of Hamdan v. Rumsfeld (2006) - Supreme Court Geneva Conventions Case

    What the USSR did was a war crime.. and what SA did to the ANC were crimes.. Just because somebody doesn't have a sovereign nation behind them and they aren't a national military, doesn't make it ok to torture them according to international law
    Last edited by SheWolf; 11-14-10 at 01:36 AM.

  6. #506
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    I am shocked that liberals would want to see GB prosecuted ! Shocked I tell you !!!

    Has MENSA called for the prosecution of Obama yet for being the dumbest President ever ? Whassup wit dat !
    No, but they considering nominating this post for the Idiotic Partisan Hackery of the Year.

  7. #507
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You are all over the board and anyone that would compare what happened in the USSR, South Africa, or any other sovereign nation with terrorist actions is absolutely nuts. There is no comparison as you and others have no understanding of the enemy we face.
    I wish you and others would stop saying I don't understand the enemy we face... I do. In fact, I love the idea of torturing them until death, but it isn't legal.

    I also think you are in fact nuts for your justifications for torture, and saying people aren't protected by international law because they aren't military and have no sovereign nation.. I could go on and on with abuses that took place against such people throughout, but I won't bother. I am afraid you aren't seeing the connection to it and your argument..

    And you don't think there is anything common between the events and social responses in SA and here? I don't know how much you know about SA history then..


    The African National Congress (ANC) is an influential organization in South Africa. Founded in 1912, it was one of the primary forces that pressed for racial equality in South Africa. After nearly 50 years of nonviolent protest, the ANC adopted terrorist tactics in the early 1960s. ANC terrorism would continue until the group was legalized in 1990. Following the group's legalization, ANC and its famous jailed member Nelson Mandela pushed for the final abolishment of apartheid. Today, ANC is a legal political party and current South African President Thabo Mbeki is an ANC politician.


    In 1961, nearly fifty years after its formation, ANC imitated terrorist attacks against government facilities. The ANC formed a military wing, Umkhonto we Sizwe (aka MK or Spear of the Nation), to lead its terrorist attacks. ANC and Umkhonto directed their terrorist attacks against facilities and did not directly target people. Police raids and arrests eradicated Umkhonto by 1964. Resistance to apartheid continued throughout the 1960s, '70s and '80s. The ANC was implicated in several terrorist incidents in the 1980s that targeted international corporations with facilities in South Africa.
    Terrorist Organization Profile - START - National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism

  8. #508
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding


  9. #509
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    No, but they considering nominating this post for the Idiotic Partisan Hackery of the Year.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Speaking of idiotic partisan hackery...

    Do you want to discuss the topic like an adult or not?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #510
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    This is the talk of fascists. Due process isn't "fiddling."
    When the weaker argument eventually fails, as it has in this case, the more petty of the losers often wind up using terms such as "Racist", "Nazi" or, in this case "Fascist".

Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •