Page 23 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 834

Thread: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

  1. #221
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If war crimes were committed then our Congress should have acted and didn't. Because Amnesia International makes wild claims doesn't make it true. How about you answering the question, why wasn't Bush Impeached?
    Whats politically expedient always comes first.

    Do you think any political party would risk the fallout for trying to impeach a president during a war, even if he was breaking the law?

    **** no. Politics, plain and simple.

  2. #222
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    This old war veteran's memory is sound, hero. They made no mention of a "safe word".
    Rev, let's be honest here. Are you trying to say that the training isn't voluntarily undertaken? That the trainees are forced into it? And I don't mean metaphorically forced, I mean gun-to-the-head kind of forced.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Actually, it's proper to wait until Bush is out of office to prosecute him for war crimes. Prosecutions of sitting heads of state for war crimes are generally discouraged under international law.

    Maybe Congress should have impeached Bush, maybe they shouldn't have. But new evidence has come to light in the form of a confession from Bush himself. That's more than enough to move on a war crimes prosecution.
    As I understand it from you, Torture is illegal, you call waterboarding torture thus illegal and a violation of international law. If that is the case the Congress had an obligation to act instead of waiting for Amnesia International to act and they didn't. Why? It may be proper to wait but it is never proper to let violations of international law skate. Bush didn't have to confess, Congress knew what Bush did and Congress was under the control of the Democrats from 2007-2008 and did nothing. Get over your BDS as it makes you look foolish.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If war crimes were committed then our Congress should have acted and didn't. Because Amnesia International makes wild claims doesn't make it true. How about you answering the question, why wasn't Bush Impeached?
    Because the whole lot are a bunch of criminals. If the Democrats went after Bush for his crimes, the Republicans would return fire. The gig would be up. When everyone has something to lose, no one squeals.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #225
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Because the whole lot are a bunch of criminals. If the Democrats went after Bush for his crimes, the Republicans would return fire. The gig would be up. When everyone has something to lose, no one squeals.
    Wrong, Democrats wanted the issue, not the trial. Too many Democrats on record supporting what Bush did.

  6. #226
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    As I understand it from you, Torture is illegal, you call waterboarding torture thus illegal and a violation of international law. If that is the case the Congress had an obligation to act instead of waiting for Amnesia International to act and they didn't. Why? It may be proper to wait but it is never proper to let violations of international law skate. Bush didn't have to confess, Congress knew what Bush did and Congress was under the control of the Democrats from 2007-2008 and did nothing. Get over your BDS as it makes you look foolish.
    The failure of the Democrats to impeach Bush isn't in dispute. But the fact remains that Bush should be made to answer for his crimes. The incompetence of the Democrats doesn't absolve him. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a US court that tries Bush for his crimes, it could just as easily be the ICC.

  7. #227
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Wrong, Democrats wanted the issue, not the trial. Too many Democrats on record supporting what Bush did.
    That's standard issue there. The Republocrats don't want to solve any problems because solving problems removes the talking point. They're rather bitch endlessly and not do a damned thing. But the whole lot are criminals, thugs, and goons. Make no mistake. Neither side will ever try to actually employ accountability because neither side wants to be accountable.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #228
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Do they force a trainee to be water-boarded if he refuses?
    I depends on how one defines "force". unless you have ever been in the military and had the success or failure of your career held in someone else's hands you just wouldn't understand.

    do they put a gun to his head and say "do the training or we blow your freakin head off"? no

    do they say "If you don't do the training you wash out and go home in disgrace with a black mark on your record"? yes

    and that threat of the black mark on your record is more coercive than any physical force could ever be. It will follow you and hinder your career for the rest of your time in service.

    so...in context, yes the trainee is basically forced to be water-boarded whether he wants to be or not.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #229
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Rev, let's be honest here. Are you trying to say that the training isn't voluntarily undertaken? That the trainees are forced into it? And I don't mean metaphorically forced, I mean gun-to-the-head kind of forced.



    Of course there is a difference. However that difference to me is irrelevant as I don't view waterboarding as torture. I've been through it. It is horrible quick and to the point. But torture? I don't think so. From experience.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #230
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Amnesty International Wants Bush Prosecuted for Admitted Waterboarding

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Hell, it doesn't even have to be a US court that tries Bush for his crimes, it could just as easily be the ICC.
    then, perhaps you should forward this thread to them

    because, once again, eric holder's position is...

    how disappointing
    Last edited by The Prof; 11-11-10 at 04:49 PM.

Page 23 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •